Windows 10: Missing desktop files after Windows update

Discus and support Missing desktop files after Windows update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a year 2010 Asus PC with Windows 10. After the latest Windows 10 update, a few document files are missing from my desktop. I used file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by charlestan, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Missing desktop files after Windows update

Hi,
    I have a year 2010 Asus PC with Windows 10. After the latest Windows 10 update, a few document files are missing from my desktop. I used file explorer to search for one of the files but could not find the latest version.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

:)

charlestan, Oct 2, 2016
  2. IdoBerlin Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Hello Neha,

I had the same problem - after I updated to Window 10, all of my desktop files were gone.

When I found them, I replaced them to my new desktop, but when I restarted my computer, these files were gone and my old, pre-Windows-10 desktop was again my desktop.

I can't find the missing files anywhere, not even in the folder you instructed, and all I could find is shortcuts to the missing files, which path is missing.

Is there any way to recover the missing files?

Thanks a lot,

Ido

IdoBerlin, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 desktop files missing after update from Windows 7

After updated windows 10 last night this morning I discover that all my files are missing including some of desktop files.

Please help me how to find them.

Ngoako JohnRamoshaba, Oct 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Missing desktop files after Windows update

Latest version as in the Anniversary Update? If you upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10, yes anything that was on the desktop can be not in place when you go from one version to the next.

bro67, Oct 2, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Upgrading Windows doesn't delete things from the desktop.

The OP needs to give more information about what is missing. If everything is missing then it is possible they were signed into a temporary account. If only a few documents were missing (as said) then more information on which is needed but it simply isn't true upgrading to 1607 deletes "anything on the desktop".

lx07, Oct 3, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Correct. I upgraded to the Anniversary Update and all the links, folders and files stayed on my user account's desktop.

If the AU has removed them (for reasons unknown) AND it's less than 10 days since the upgrade then they should have been archived in the Windows.old folder in case a roll-back to the previous build is required (Setup keeps old data for the Users folder as well as the Windows one). Windows.old may be a hidden folder, so turn on 'show hidden folders' In File Explorer.

Bree, Oct 3, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    As long as the OP can reproduce the missing file names, in whole or in part, a whole-disk search tool like the (free) Voidtools Everything search tool will turn them up (even inside Windows.old, if need be). Highly recommended as a "next step" in resolving this matter. Once the drive is indexed, Everything will find ... wait for it ... everything!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Missing desktop files after Windows update

1. Missing desktop files after Windows update - Similar Threads - Missing desktop files

2. After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.: I ran the most recent Windows 11 update yesterday 15/10/2023. After the update, all files on my desktop are missing. It just has recycle bin. I have already searched the files on /user/desktop folder, but it is empty....
  3. After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.: I ran the most recent Windows 11 update yesterday 15/10/2023. After the update, all files on my desktop are missing. It just has recycle bin. I have already searched the files on /user/desktop folder, but it is empty....
  4. File Explorer missing after Windows update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer missing after Windows update: How to restore File Explorer? No icons on start, desktop, taskbar. Disappeared immediately after Windows update completed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-missing-after-windows-update/c12a93f5-72c1-436c-be04-a5816ca1045c
  5. Desktop files are missing

Desktop files are missing: I have an asus laptop that runs on windows 10, i turned on my laptop today and all my desktop files are gone. Granted I have dropbox and they were saved there. But why are they all missing from my desktop?...
  6. Missing files after windows update.

Missing files after windows update.: Hi. Im having difficulties with a problem and I am hoping someone can help me. I've looked all over the internet but nothing I read about helps with my problem. My problem is that I just updated Windows with the latest update and my pc is fine. I then plugged in my external...
  7. after windows auto update on sunday my desktop files and folders are missing

after windows auto update on sunday my desktop files and folders are missing: I'm really angry. There was a Windows auto update on Sunday which has changed my Desktop completely and deleted files on there which are important. I eventually found these and put these back on my desktop only to find these disappeared when I looked a little later. I need...
  8. Windows 10 1903 update missing desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 update missing desktop files: Hi, so i recently updated to windows 10 1903 after putting it off for a while and folders on my desktop arent there anymore and i cannot find them. So, basically the update was going normally until it went into the sign in. It came up with " The user profile server failed...
  9. Missing file after update

Missing file after update: After upgrading my windows with a new update of windows 1903, I am getting a message saying : There was a problem starting C:\windows\system32\LogiLDA.dll The specified module could not be found. This message appears whenever my windows starts. What should I do ?...
  10. Missing file after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing file after Windows 10 update: I got the Windows 10 Creator's Update last night, but when starting up Windows, I get this RunDLL error message, stating: There was a problem starting V0700Pin.dll The specified module could not be found. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it's annoying...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update missing desktop