Windows 10: Missing document after OS reset

Discus and support Missing document after OS reset in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all My first post here, and I'd really appreciate your help. My wife told me that when she logged on into her account yesterday, she found... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by agfoxx, Jul 10, 2016.

1. agfoxx Win User

Missing document after OS reset

Hi all

My first post here, and I'd really appreciate your help.

My wife told me that when she logged on into her account yesterday, she found that everything that was on her desktop had disappeared.

This came as the last straw - I had been battling with poor performance and crashes for quite a few weeks.

So I did a system reset; it brought back the snappiness of the computer in general, and also it brought back all the files my wife used to have on her desktop before "it all just went", as she puts it.

However, as it turns out, before she complained to me and I reset the PC, she had been working on another document - which she, too, saved to her "new" desktop (i.e., the desktop which she was seeing after her previous work had "vanished"). Now I can't find this file, and neither can she.

Can anybody please suggest where this file may have gone? I did look in windows.old - it's definitely not there.

Thanks a lot,

Artyom

:)

agfoxx, Jul 10, 2016

2. All applications and documents missing after resetting Windows 10

Sir/Madam, I was running Windows 10

quite some time. My system was

running slow. I thought of Reset.

Inadvertely, before Reset I had transfered

all my Files including Program Files

from C Drive to D Drive. After

Reset all the applications including

MS Office 10 are missing. Also all

my documents and missing. I am

in trouble. Please help me.

Original title: Reset

SamuelKingston, Jul 10, 2016
  3. I up graded to win 10

upgraded to win 10 activated ok, but some problems ,mini/maxi button not working,it is mixed up with documents and downloads. it is unsteady I want to go back to 8.1 but can't says files missing. Tried reset could not complete that either it failed
    . what do I do ? I would like to wait for about 6 months then do it . but meantime i need OS

joekeatings, Jul 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Artyom,

Welcome to the TenForums *Smile

Is it possible that a temporary user profile was set up and the document got stored in this area? Do you see any additional temporary user folders like this in your C:\Users directory?

philc43, Jul 10, 2016
  5. agfoxx Win User
    Hi, thanks for this, but no, I'm afraid there are no temp folders in c:\users...

agfoxx, Jul 10, 2016
  6. where was she working on the document had has disappeared
    If in word then it should be in there, otherwise look in the documents folder or anywhere in her C Drive

Also look in the one drive Documents section as it might have been saved to the cloud

hTconeM9user, Jul 11, 2016
  7. agfoxx Win User
    Thank you - she was working in Word, but it can't see the document in either "recent" or "autosaved".

I've downloaded a piece of software called DiskDigger; it's going through my hard drive as we speak, throwing up files I didn't even know existed (from back in 2002!). Let's see what it finds.

By the way, I'm really curious about how files from 14 years ago can still be "hiding" on my current PC. But that's a separate question.

agfoxx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing document after OS reset - Similar Threads - Missing document reset

2. Drives are missing after reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives are missing after reset: i just reset my computer, windows 10, and now if i open disk management all my drives are missing it only shows blank table, when i open file explorer in "this PC" i still can see and browse drive c: but my drive d: is still missing.Please help...
  3. Missing documents

Missing documents: My documents and files are disappearing from my computer. When I go to one drive I have some of them but not all of them. Why are things disappearing.For example: I have the H&R Block Program. I saved files through this program and when I looked at it today there are no...
  4. Missing documents after update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing documents after update.: I did an "update and restart" 3 days ago. Now many of my files are missing. Some remain, but at least 2/3 are gone. I've tried the recommended restart 4 times, but no success. How do I recover these files?...
  5. Documents Missing After Windows Update

Documents Missing After Windows Update: Recently completed multiple Windows 10 updates and discovered that My Documents have vanished. They cannot be found while accessing C:Users/... . When using the File Explorer to search for the file name on my computer, I am only able to locate file shortcuts that do not...
  6. Windows Reset Caused Missing User Configurations & Documents

Windows Reset Caused Missing User Configurations & Documents: I rebooted my PC last evening, turned of the monitor & let the PC run. This morning I turned on the monitor & observed a message about logging in to see my files. I chose not to & got some message about a temporary profile/login. My programs, printers, etc., all remained...
  7. Missing XPS Document Writer for Windows 10 OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing XPS Document Writer for Windows 10 OS: Just go to CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE Programs>Turn Windows Features ON/OFF>Check the CHECKBOX>MICROSOFT WINDOWS XPS DOCUMENT WRITER>Click OK Button....
  8. Recover Documents after OS Recovery

Recover Documents after OS Recovery: A couple weeks ago I was running a System Restore and after about an hour or two, the laptop restarted but I received a message saying there was a problem with Windows 10, it was corrupted and it could not be loaded. I had to run OS Recovery to reinstall Windows. This...
  9. Missing files after resetting OS

Missing files after resetting OS: Every year I go through the process of reinstalling Windows to keep things fresh. After backing everything up to an external drive, things go off without a hitch and all is good. This time however I decided to simply reset windows, doing so would accomplish what I wanted, and...
  10. documents missing after update?

documents missing after update?: how do I restore my documents after an update?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-missing-after-update/87d6d118-2530-4c5b-b740-f4082cd342cb