Windows 10: Missing files after switching to new drive for boot

Discus and support Missing files after switching to new drive for boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So here is an interesting conundrum I'm curious if anyone can solve. Back at Xmas time I bought a new SSD, installed into my laptop and cloned my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoshBungs, Feb 10, 2018.

1. JoshBungs Win User

Missing files after switching to new drive for boot

So here is an interesting conundrum I'm curious if anyone can solve.

Back at Xmas time I bought a new SSD, installed into my laptop and cloned my hard drive partition to it. I have been booting from the SSD since by manual changing the BOOT priority to boot from the (F*Smile drive - SSD

I have been running that drive since, and all new information, files, programs etc have been written to that drive.

Last week I decided to finally wipe the old (C*Smile since it as been sitting unused for a month, I could use it as storage space.
    I used a Linux live cd, and the GParted application to wipe the (C*Smile and not touching the (F*Smile which had all the new information on it.

When I rebooted into windows the drive letter of my SSD was changed to (C*Smile as it was now the only BOOT device located. However a number of my files, applications that I have installed to the drive since I began using it back in January have disappeared.
    Nothing was changed, deleted or wiped from this SSD drive, they just seemed to have disappeared.
    I have tried unhidding files and also used Recuva to do a scan for any deleted recoverable files. I've also booted back into Linux and tried to search that way. They do not show up anywhere at all.

I'm perplexed, any help recovering these files would be greatly appreciated.

:)

JoshBungs, Feb 10, 2018

2. Windows 10 File History

I disabled temporarily the file history because i needed the designated drive for something else.

After reinstalling this drive I wanted to switch it on again but there is missing the switch and the other controls. Only the "Other Options" link is there.

How can I restore my setting?

ThomasJakober, Feb 10, 2018
  3. CJ4444 Win User
    File History Win 10 - Delete Old File History Files?

After copying my old file history files to a new file history drive as part of switching file history to a new drive, can I delete all of the (old) file history folders and files off of that old drive?

CJ4444, Feb 10, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Do they show in add remove are the folders there? It could be they were written to the old c

Samuria, Feb 10, 2018
  5. spunk Win User
    After cloning the Old HDD to the new SSD, you should have unplugged the old HDD and made sure the SSD would boot properly without the old HDD attached. At that point, the new SSD would be drive C: and any new programs and files would be saved to that C: drive from this point forward.
    You then can plug in your Old HDD and remove it from the Boot order in the Bios, moving the SSD to first boot device and still boot to the SSD and it should still be C:
    Since you didn't do that, any new programs you installed were saved to drive C:, Your Old HDD, and written in the Windows registry as such. Hopefully you have a backup.

spunk, Feb 10, 2018
  6. JoshBungs Win User
    I am certain that they were not written to the HDD as the C: drive
    Whenever I accessed the files/folders I would have to go through the F tree. Also while in Linux I double checked the files were indeed stored on the F: drive

JoshBungs, Feb 11, 2018
  7. JoshBungs Win User
    Its actually not the program files I am worried about I can reinstall programs. I had some file folders that were important. They were indeed on the SSD as I double checked to make sure before I formatted the old HDD. Unfortunately the one file I need to have a back up for was a newly created file and I had forgot to make a back up before carrying on with other work

JoshBungs, Feb 11, 2018
  8. spunk Win User

Boot into Windows on the SSD, in File Explorer go to the Toolbar to the View tab, put a check in the box for Hidden Items and File Name Extensions. And then press the Win key+S and do a Search for a specific file name or extension (ie) search for *.txt. *.mp3 or whatever file extension if you aren't sure of the name.

spunk, Feb 11, 2018
  9. JoshBungs Win User
    So I couldn't find them this way, but I was able to find missing files through the files > recent list....however the destination path says
    "F:\Program Files"
    which would have been the location on the SSD before formating the old HDD, now the SSD has been renamed to C:\
    can I simply change the destination path?

JoshBungs, Feb 11, 2018
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you cloned the HDD to the SSD and booted from the SSD, it WAS the C: drive! Your F: drive at the time was the HDD, not the SSD. When you were saving and using files to/from F: drive, it was the HDD, and when you wiped the HDD, you wiped out those files.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2018
  11. JoshBungs Win User
    no that is incorrect. The F: drive was my Samsung SSD, always listed as such. The drive sizes are also different, so there was a clear distinction as well as a difference in the labelling.

JoshBungs, Feb 11, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    You said that "now the SSD has been renamed to C:" so I suspect your cloning did not go thru well. Whichever disk/partition you BOOT from Windows labels C:\. It's possible that all this time you had both disks in, it was BOOTing from one disk but running Windows from another one.

CountMike, Feb 11, 2018
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

So, according to your OP - you had a HDD, which when it was booting as the only drive was C: drive. Then you cloned it to an SSD, and when you booted Windows from the SSD, the SSD running Windows on it was F: drive. That's quite a cloning program that would change all the registry entries required to run Windows from F: drive. In normal circumstances, as @CountMike points out, when Windows loads, the partition containing that Windows system is C: drive. Load Windows on drive 0 - it gets C: and drive 1 will get a different letter. Load Windows on drive 1 - it gets C: and drive 0 will get a different letter.

I have yet to see a cloning program that will clone a Windows partition and make all the changes to the Windows registry to change it's drive letter to make it get something other than C: drive when booted into.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2018
  14. spunk Win User
    I see what is going on now. After cloning the HDD to the SSD, when you rebooted, the SSD became C: and the HDD became F:. You must not have changed the boot order in the Bios and Windows booted from the F: HDD and not the SSD. You continued to boot from the HDD F: and save files to it, then you removed the HDD and now your files are missing or rather they were never saved to the SSD to begin with.

spunk, Feb 12, 2018
  15. JoshBungs Win User
    I suspect that is probably correct. But doesn't explain the missing documents or document folders that were saved specifically to the SSD

JoshBungs, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing files after switching to new drive for boot - Similar Threads - Missing files switching

2. FILE MISSING AFTER SYNC WITH ONE DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FILE MISSING AFTER SYNC WITH ONE DRIVE: Hi,My file is missing after I first sync with One Drive,Please help, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-missing-after-sync-with-one-drive/17389351-27b7-4ee6-8af7-0b1a5fe197fd
  3. FILE MISSING AFTER SYNC WITH ONE DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FILE MISSING AFTER SYNC WITH ONE DRIVE: Hi,My file is missing after I first sync with One Drive,Please help, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-missing-after-sync-with-one-drive/17389351-27b7-4ee6-8af7-0b1a5fe197fd
  4. Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install: Hi, I inherited a computer from a friend. It had Windows 10 on it but an older HDD and older components, maybe 2010-2012ish. As far as i can tell they work fine. The OS and HDD is just real sluggish. So I got a 1TB SSD and attempted to install it to be the boot drive. I...
  5. Switching boot drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching boot drive: Hello, so I’ve got an issue that I’m not sure is possible to fix without losing data. I have both a 500gb m.2 nvme ssd and a 500gb hdd. Well I’ve been using both drives for awhile now and I could have sworn that I had the windows 10 boot drive set on the ssd. Now I’m planning...
  6. Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file

Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file: Hi everyone, I recently bought a new SSD for my PC and I wanted to move my Windows 10 installation from my old HDD to this new SSD to speed up the boot. I tried doing this by cloning the HDD to the SSD but nothing I do has been able to work. The problem is that every time I...
  7. Switching boot drive

Switching boot drive: Hi all, I have Windows 10 installed on a Samsung 850 SSD and would like to add a Samsung 970 M.2 and change it to the boot drive. How do I properly format the new 970 M.2 as the primary boot drive and remove all of the Windows files from the 850 SSD? I have a Windows 10...
  8. Missing files after Windows drive repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing files after Windows drive repair: My Windows 10 64 bit Lenovo laptop run ”repair drive errors” and now I have missing files. Help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-files-after-windows-drive-repair/3093cca9-9565-428f-ad04-d8348a872d74
  9. Blue screen after updates. Boot files missing.

Blue screen after updates. Boot files missing.: I downloaded win 10 latest update and now after logging on I get black screen error boot files missing ***Title modified from: I downloaded win 10 latest update and now after logging on I get black screen error boot files missing***...
  10. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade: Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were...