Windows 10: Missing files when creating Recovery Drive

Discus and support Missing files when creating Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'd like to make a recovery drive for my Win 10 PC. But when I click "Create Recovery Drive I get an error message that reads "files are missing." This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NEcompute, Sep 19, 2015.

1. NEcompute Win User

Missing files when creating Recovery Drive

I'd like to make a recovery drive for my Win 10 PC. But when I click "Create Recovery Drive I get an error message that reads "files are missing." This is an "upgrade" Win 10 system from Win 7 Ult 64bit, not quite 1 month old so I don't see how anything should be missing.

How do I make a recovery drive?.

:)

NEcompute, Sep 19, 2015

2. CREATING RECOVERY DRIVE

I have updated my computer from Win7 to Win10 and trying to create a Recovery Drive. I have gone through the Control Panel to Create Recovery Drive, but when I attempt to start the process I get the message: 'We can't create a recovery drive on this PC.
    Some required files are missing.' What files are missing and where can I get them and install them?

GordonR_505, Sep 19, 2015
  3. TomF37380 Win User
    create a recovery drive

When I try to create a recovery drive, I get an error message that windows cannot create a recovery drive...some required files are missing. How to fix? I was able to create the drive about 1-1/2 years ago, but can't now.

TomF37380, Sep 19, 2015
  4. GER505 Win User

I have the same problem. I have updated my computer from Win7 to Win10 and trying to create a Recovery Drive. I have gone through the Control Panel to Create Recovery Drive, but when I attempt to start the process I get the message: 'We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing.' What files are missing and where can I get them and install them?

GER505, Sep 25, 2015
  5. As a new Windows user I found this bug to a delightful dip into Lake WTF. I'm speaking of Win7 backup utility avail in Control Panel in 10. It comes up two ways (so far) --

1. A file is missing. And by addressing the details of what's missing the system (if I recall) kinda allows you to ignore it and proceed. (In this case it was a leftover folder from a de-install of Virtualbox.)

2. The backup alerts you files are missing and backup won't occur. Here's what's funny. If you add the files where it's looking for them, the backup will happen. Understand it doesn't actually need whatever the files were but 'dupes' with the exact same name.

This is asinine.

Apparently the system sucks at de-installing things.

The Pool Man, Sep 25, 2015
  6. GER505 Win User
    I was unable to find a way to make the 'Create Recovery Drive' system to work, so I followed the advice of another post and downloaded the Win 10 installation files to a USB drive following the instructions at the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

I hope I'll never need to use the install and hope it will work if ever needed.

GER505, Sep 26, 2015
  7. CmmTch Win User
    I couldn't create a recovery drive either, tried different things, did some looking around. Finally realized I (my computer) doesn't have a recovery partition. This box was home built and never had an OEM OS installed on it.

I started with XP Pro retail, upgraded to Win7 Home retail, then upgraded to W10 Home, in all that time I never had a recovery partition and that's where the recovery drive gets the files from. So I downloaded the W10 iso which has the same repair/restore capabilities as a recovery drive.

CmmTch, Sep 26, 2015
  8. GER505 Win User

Interesting! My computer has a Recovery Drive, but it is called HP_Recovery. I wonder if the 'HP_' is causing my problem. In any event, the HP_Recovery files are probably Win7 files judging from the file dates and not Win10.

GER505, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing files when creating Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Missing files creating

2. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  3. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  4. recovery drive missing files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery drive missing files: How do I create a recovery drive if I have missing files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-drive-missing-files/21a1efdd-9970-4657-a1df-bd8c0e736ac6
  5. recovery drive missing files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recovery drive missing files: How do I create a recovery drive if I have missing files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-drive-missing-files/21a1efdd-9970-4657-a1df-bd8c0e736ac6
  6. recovery drive missing files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  8. Unable to create a recovery drive missing files error - Windows 10

Unable to create a recovery drive missing files error - Windows 10: Hi, This is a problem I've had for a while and I've seen many posts online asking the same question. A lot of the responses or solutions have revolved around using reagentc to point to the correct recovery folder see here. This solution didn't work for me and there seem to...
  9. Can't create a recovery drive - files missing

Can't create a recovery drive - files missing: Following security update 1/9/2019, I can not create a recovery drive. The message says files are missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-a-recovery-drive-files-missing/63e548f5-5870-4f0c-a0ea-5d7fd7450f56
  10. Can't create a Windows 10 recovery drive; required files missing...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create a Windows 10 recovery drive; required files missing...: When I attempt to create a recovery drive, I receive the message, "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing." I found a suggestion to enter the following at an Administrator command prompt: reagentc /disable reagentc /setreimage...