Windows 10: Missing Icon

Discus and support Missing Icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a program called IDE.exe. It uses the drawing board icon. [img] It creates a project file with the extension .prj. The project uses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Feb 10, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

Missing Icon

I have a program called IDE.exe.

It uses the drawing board icon.
    Missing Icon [​IMG]

It creates a project file with the extension .prj.

The project uses the hammer icon.
    Missing Icon [​IMG]

IDE.exe is there with the proper icon.
    Missing Icon [​IMG]

But the .prj file shows white square (no icon).

When I go to Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program. There isn't any .prj extension on the list.

How can I add it?

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Feb 10, 2017
  2. teppot Win User

N8 and several software icons missing - not a reboot issue

Hi,

On my N8 several software icons are missing and reboot of the device will not help on this. This issue started after the first Anna update. Some icons that are missing are old SW installations before Anna update, but also some of the new software installations
    are missing icons too. Some random icons are missing from main view and software menu too. To move the icon from one location/folder to other will not help to get icon(s) back. To start the target SW by pointing an empty icon works. Scrolling a long view on
    having several icons + missing icons was very slow and after I moved all missing icons to separate view/folder scrolling the main SW view is now ok but missing icons dilemma is not solved. Attached image is from the folder to where is moved all missing icons.
    Damn, I don´t wan't to reset the device.

Scr000013.jpg

teppot, Feb 10, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Feb 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Missing Icon

File Types (Windows)

Go to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    in the registry.

This free program (or similar) may help:

Missing Icon [​IMG]

I've no idea what your program is, I'm afraid, so can't help further.

dalchina, Feb 10, 2017
  5. doncole Win User
    doncole, Feb 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Missing Icon [​IMG]

Default Programs Editor (free).

1st search result for me

dalchina, Feb 10, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    You can also maybe try going to: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

Press the Change Program button for .prj files and select that program. If it didn't work, select the .prj files to open with any other random program, then reselect the .prj files to open with your program again. Hopefully that could reset the icon.

pepanee, Feb 11, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

Missing Icon

@dalchina:
    Default Programs Editor appears to be pretty ancient: circa 2009/2010. As far as I can tell, the original developer site is inaccessible. It seems to be available via usual outlets such as CNET and SoftPedia (but not MajorGeeks, curiously). Is that the right program? If so, looks like SoftPedia has the latest version...
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 11, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi Ed, I did say 'may help'. Standards around that area tend to remain pretty constant for legacy purposes I guess.

Feel free to suggest a more current program that allows creation of a file type.

Oh, just remembered, good old Nir Sofer - there's this one:

Missing Icon [​IMG]

FileTypesMan: View, edit file extensions and types in Windows

dalchina, Feb 11, 2017
  10. EdTittel Win User
    @dalchina: great suggestion! I'm also fooling around with your original suggestion of Default Programs Editor.Despite its vintage, works just fine with Windows 10 up to and including IP 15031. Didn't mean to sound negative about your selection (the DriverStoreExplorer tool, v 0.5 is about the same age, BTW, and still works fine, too), just interested. Nir Sofer's stuff is, however, well-maintained and always pretty useful, so that's an excellent alternative. Just fired it up from NirLauncher, and it's a pip, too.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Missing Icon

1. Missing Icon - Similar Threads - Missing Icon

2. all network, airplane and bluetooth icons are missing on my taskbar menu windows 11 also my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all network, airplane and bluetooth icons are missing on my taskbar menu windows 11 also my...: One day I opened desktop to see that all some of the icons are missing when I click the bottom right corner of my taskbar with the ethernet and sound iconsMy network controller shows an error code of 28 and my bluetooth adapter shows an error code of 43, I have no access to...
  3. all network, airplane and bluetooth icons are missing on my taskbar menu windows 11 also my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all network, airplane and bluetooth icons are missing on my taskbar menu windows 11 also my...: One day I opened desktop to see that all some of the icons are missing when I click the bottom right corner of my taskbar with the ethernet and sound iconsMy network controller shows an error code of 28 and my bluetooth adapter shows an error code of 43, I have no access to...
  4. My laptop battery icon is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop battery icon is missing: I can't see the battery icon. It's plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-battery-icon-is-missing/1bd74597-1145-4881-9ffe-98b0a87e233d
  5. My laptop battery icon is missing

My laptop battery icon is missing: I can't see the battery icon. It's plugged in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-battery-icon-is-missing/1bd74597-1145-4881-9ffe-98b0a87e233d
  6. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Highlights icon on search bar missing: Hello to all,I've been having issues with my search bar icon and Bing highlights. After an update on my laptop, which was stuck in 100% and could not move, I turned on and off my laptop to "prevent" the update from taking a long time and not wanting to proceed. On the next...
  7. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

Search Highlights icon on search bar missing: Hello to all,I've been having issues with my search bar icon and Bing highlights. After an update on my laptop, which was stuck in 100% and could not move, I turned on and off my laptop to "prevent" the update from taking a long time and not wanting to proceed. On the next...
  8. Search Highlights icon on search bar missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Taskbar issues and my wifi icon is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar issues and my wifi icon is missing: PLEASE HELP ITS BEEN DAYS and i need my computer for work. I have tried so many solutions from other posts but none work. I am on Windows 10 my PC a couple days ago had corrupted files i fixed it by using the sfc /sannow method. Fast forward like a week i turn on my PC and...
  10. Taskbar issues and my wifi icon is missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar issues and my wifi icon is missing: PLEASE HELP ITS BEEN DAYS and i need my computer for work. I have tried so many solutions from other posts but none work. I am on Windows 10 my PC a couple days ago had corrupted files i fixed it by using the sfc /sannow method. Fast forward like a week i turn on my PC and...