Windows 10: Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache

Discus and support Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have 2 computers that I recently rebuilt for 2 of our employees, and everything was working fine. Recently, we noticed that icons for several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by chasewystone, May 30, 2018.

1. Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache

I have 2 computers that I recently rebuilt for 2 of our employees, and everything was working fine. Recently, we noticed that icons for several applications are all coming up as blank pages. Furthermore, icons that acted as thumbnails for JPG and PNG files (as an example) are also coming up as blank pages.

We did quite a bit of research on the matter, and have followed several instructions for deleting out the icon and thumb caches in C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer. I've done this while having explorer.exe shut down, and while in safe mode. Every time, the caches rebuild themselves, but without any resolution to the problem. Unless I can find a proper solution, I'm afraid I may have to rebuild the computers yet again, and I really don't want to do that.

:)

chasewystone, May 30, 2018

2. disable windows 10 thumbnail cache

Hi,

Thank you for being part of windows 10 family.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

Let us follow these steps and check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Control Panel”.
    • Double click on “Folder Options”.
    • Click the “View tab”.
    • Uncheck the following option, “Display file icons on thumbnails”.
    • "Always show icons, never thumbnails".
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Method: 2

Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing your pictures.

Type "del *.db /s /as" (without the quotes).

This will delete all the thumbnail cache files including those in subdirectories and cause them to be rebuilt next time you open the folder.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, May 30, 2018
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, May 30, 2018
Thema:

Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache

1. Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache - Similar Threads - Missing Icons Thumbnails

2. Blurry Folder icons depsite multiple icon cache and thumbnail deletion and rebuild.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blurry Folder icons depsite multiple icon cache and thumbnail deletion and rebuild.: I have done multiple times of these below and it still cannot fix them.- Delete Thumbnail and Icon Cache and Rebuild them = still blurry- DDU Nvidia Driver and install multiple version = no change- Used onboard Intel Graphic and dedicated ASUS RTX 2060 EVO = same too, also on...
  3. Blurry Folder icons depsite multiple icon cache and thumbnail deletion and rebuild.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blurry Folder icons depsite multiple icon cache and thumbnail deletion and rebuild.: I have done multiple times of these below and it still cannot fix them.- Delete Thumbnail and Icon Cache and Rebuild them = still blurry- DDU Nvidia Driver and install multiple version = no change- Used onboard Intel Graphic and dedicated ASUS RTX 2060 EVO = same too, also on...
  4. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  5. Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache: Hello, I've got many photos to sort on a HDD in numerous folders. I found a software to recursively generate all preview thumbnails. When done, the cache is almost 2go. But when I restart my computer, more than half of the cache is deleted so I have to regenerate the cache...
  6. Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already: I'm writing about an ongoing thumbnail cache problem that keeps clearing itself every some period of time. This problem has been going on for years since Windows 8, and there is no permanent solution at all. I know how Microsoft recommends deleting thumbnail cache to help...
  7. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: "Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache" Updated June 2018 "Revised" I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take...
  8. Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting: Hey guys, just made the upgrade from Win7 and I am wondering how to do this as the title suggests, I remember there being such a thing to do this here over at the sevenforums but this method is no longer working for Windows 10, so I am wondering if someone can please help me...
  9. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...
  10. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?: So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I...