Windows 10: Missing icons in some apps

Discus and support Missing icons in some apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have an issue with some icons in windows 10, some of them are not being displayed by windows. [img] Does anyone know how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by elkolodj, Jan 7, 2016.

1. elkolodj Win User

Missing icons in some apps

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with some icons in windows 10, some of them are not being displayed by windows.

Missing icons in some apps [​IMG]

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

elkolodj, Jan 7, 2016

2. Visual Studio 2015 and some apps icons are missing

Joy Kemprai,

I have done first and two methods and it doesn't solve my problem. I created a new local account and now all thing seems fine. thanks for your help and quick respond.

Thanks.

Prasanna Deshappriya, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Visual Studio 2015 and some apps icons are missing

I have installed Microsoft visual studio 2015 (From dreamspark) yesterday and it worked well. but when I open Visual Studio 2015 today, its icon is missing from the task bar and start manu. It shows some white icon instead of it's official icon. also I
    notices that this problem happen to some other apps as well. i search for a solution but i'm not able to find anything yet. Please refer to the attachments and appreciate your help. Thank you.

Prasanna Deshappriya, Jan 7, 2016
  4. Missing icons in some apps

Are the icons only problematic in the start menu or is the same problem for these particular icons showing on the executable on your C: drive? I'm not in front of my Windows 10 machine right now but if memory serves correctly you can right click these short cuts and select 'more' and then 'open file location'. I wonder how the icons look in here. If they are wrong try right clicking and properties and see if you can change the icon from there.

If the icons look ok in file explorer you could also try to pin the short cuts to the start menu again.

It could also be a problem with the icon cache. One of the more educated gurus might be able to advise better but I believe the default icon cache is set very low by Microsoft. A meagre 500 kb - God knows why so low in this day and age. Sometimes if the upper limit of this is reached it can cause icon corruption. There is a registry edit that can increase the icon cache to more acceptable level. Hopefully someone can back up my ascertion and knows the correct registry path.

Scottyboy99, Jan 7, 2016
  5. elkolodj Win User
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, (I didn't receive any notification in my email)
    I checked the .exe in the hard drive and they are being correctly displayed

I just installed a new program and I still have the same problem:

I tried rebuilding the icon cache with some methods I found, like deleting the database of the icons cache but it didn't work.

Creating a shortcut and pinning it to the start menu again works, but I'll have to do this everytime I install a new software....
    I hope there is a fix for this.

Thanks,

elkolodj, Jan 9, 2016
  6. It's a strange issue. Do the icons display correctly in the start menu at any point? More specifically after a reboot. And then they change to the wrong one? The reason I ask is because ages ago albeit on Windows 7 I had similar corruption on some files but only a while after boot. The fix was related to the registry edit for max icon cache. It may not be too relevant but it's worth a shot and won't do anything to harm. Other than that I don't have other ideas beyond trying to rebuild the icon cache which it seems you already tried. Max icon cache guide related to windows vista, 7 and 8 but imagine 10 is same process. Take a restore point first

Icon Cache Size - Change in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

Scottyboy99, Jan 9, 2016
  7. elkolodj Win User
    The icons are never shown correctly at any point, I tried several times to reboot, install / reinstall the same application several times. At first I though it was something related (maybe) with the version of the application, but I installed adobe reader recently, directly from Adobe and it is the last version.

I'll try to change the icon cache size and post the results. I don't have many applications installed, it is a fresh installation of windows 10 Enterprise, I had many more in my previous installation and never faced this issue.

I'll try something else that didn't think about it before, I'll create a new windows user and see if the issue persists.

elkolodj, Jan 10, 2016
  8. Missing icons in some apps

Yeah that's a good shout trying to create a new user. If that works then you can migrate to the new user account and delete the old one. If the issue persists and the max icon cache registry edit also doesn't work it might be worth trying a repair install

Scottyboy99, Jan 11, 2016
  9. elkolodj Win User
    Creating a new user worked.

I don't want to move everything to the new user, I have to move program data files, appdata - roaming, for some games a I have installed.

I can't remember , but there is a way to delete the database and restore the windows 10 start menu,maybe that will fix everything(?)

elkolodj, Jan 11, 2016
  10. elkolodj Win User
    Restoring TileDataLayer didn't work.

elkolodj, Jan 11, 2016
  11. mcquicker Win User
    Set up: Latest ver Windows 10
    Asus P8Z77 MB - 32Gb RAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
    GPU - Nvidia GeForce 660ti

There are several bugs in the latest version of Windows 10 that are driving me to distraction.

1. The "power" does not work after the machine wakes up from sleep. The problem is intermittent and usually happens after the machine has been in "sleep" mode for a while. However, if instead of trying to access the "power" option through the "start" menu (left button on mouse), one clicks the right button on mouse to access the Task Manager sub menu, the "power" option features work fine. Also, one can shut the machine down (or put in sleep/restart) by pressing Alt-F4. In other words, the problem is in the main Start Menu.

2. Another quirky bug in the Start Menu when I try to "pin" several applications; their icons will not show on the Start Menu. Specifically, the latest version of Corel Wordperfect X7 and Quattro. No matter what I do, I cannot the "pinned" app to show its icon; not even when I try to point to the actual program. However, in the "All Apps" submenu, the Wordperfect X7 and Quattro apps appear with their icon, as they should (and in the taskbar).

This does not happen with any other app on my machine, but I would guess that there are other apps out there that would present the same problem. Again, these problems manifests themselves in the Start Menu.

mcquicker, Jan 11, 2016
  12. elkolodj Win User
    Changing icon cache size didn't work either...
    ..*Mad

elkolodj, Jan 11, 2016
  13. Missing icons in some apps

This exact thing has been happening to me on two specific apps for a long time. It is really annoying. Their icons are missing from the taskbar as well, when they are running there is just an empty spot. Even creating desktop shortcuts the icons are missing. A while back, I would just remove them from the start menu and add them again and it magically worked. Now that doesn't work either... Finally I've had enough and went inside the app files, took the .png store icon, converted it to .ico and manually used it for the shortcuts. Which is obviously tedious and far from ideal. Taskbar icon space is still blank, of course.

Seriously, all these new "apps" have done so far is cause frustration and limit functionality. It's sad.

Salad Fingers, Jan 21, 2018
  14. MikeMecanic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Missing icons in some apps

1. Missing icons in some apps - Similar Threads - Missing icons apps

2. why some of apps have missing icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why some of apps have missing icons?: for whatever reason, some of my apps icons are not showing, here is the image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-some-of-apps-have-missing-icons/8a8ec24b-4282-46dd-8f33-4906029ff231
  3. Some missing icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some missing icon: As the title said, my notification and WIFI icon were missing and displayed as rectangles. It happened after I restore system checkpoint.Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-missing-icon/03b4d8aa-cd5f-428f-b43d-5a809c7416d3
  4. some icons missed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    some icons missed: Recently, I have deleted some fonts from my system and now some icons missed such as icons in task manager next to run new task, end task and etc. and display like a square. I guess deleting some fonts causes this problem....
  5. some icons missed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    some icons missed: Recently, I have deleted some fonts from my system and now some icons missed such as icons in task manager next to run new task, end task and etc. and display like a square. I guess deleting some fonts causes this problem....
  6. Why some of the app or window app icon is missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why some of the app or window app icon is missing?: I really don't know what to explain but, some of the icons are missing on the search bar.But the Microsoft Store icon is fine here.I am very confuse, why I am having this problem....
  7. Why some of the app or window app icon is missing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why some of the app or window app icon is missing?: I really don't know what to explain but, some of the icons are missing on the search bar.But the Microsoft Store icon is fine here.I am very confuse, why I am having this problem....
  8. Why some of the app or window app icon is missing?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Some Icon App Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Some Icon App Missing: some my app icon are missing, why? my windows version 2004 (OS build 19041.610) 167502
  10. Some icon is missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some icon is missing: In my HP Laptop some icon is missing in snip & sketch and windows security app and other icon is missing in action centre like network, nearby sharing & night light. In my laptop I am running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809 & OS build 17763.379 Please, solve my problem as...