Windows 10: Missing Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service, no Start Menu

Discus and support Missing Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service, no Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday out of the blue, I could not run any 'modern' apps. Either nothing would happen or I'd get a "Class not registered" error. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Galane, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Galane Win User

Missing Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service, no Start Menu

Yesterday out of the blue, I could not run any 'modern' apps. Either nothing would happen or I'd get a "Class not registered" error.

I tried Microsoft's start menu troubleshooter startmenu.diagcab, which failed to do anything but tell me there's a problem it can't fix. (Required applications are not installed correctly) Tried the one to re-register all the apps using elevated Powershell. No result. There's another one that's supposed to absolutely for sure fix it by re-registering a lot of things, nope, also fails. (No, I do not have a list of sites where I found all these. If one had actually worked, I'd have saved it for future reference for the next time I run into this problem.)

SFC /scannow claims all is 100% perfectly fine. I've not tried anything with DISM yet, searches have only turned up failures to fix the problem using DISM.

Now I've come to one that says to make sure the Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service is running. So I run services.msc (I have the latest Classic Shell so I can still get to some things) and find that the service isn't only not running it is not there.

Winkey + anything does not function so I can't use Win+X or Win+R. Day before yesterday all was fine and *I* have not done a bleeping thing to this computer - have not installed or updated or uninstalled anything, nor have I changed any settings on anything in the past week. This has blown up all on its own.
    Looks like this may be the root of the problem. How do I get that service back?

I repeat, Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service is not listed. I cannot run services.msc then find that service and manually start it. I need to know how to get it back into the list first.

:)

Galane, Mar 17, 2017
  2. Arul_D Win User

open edge

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to ensure that the “Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service” is running in the services window and check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + R” to get the run window.

• Type “services.msc” and hit ok to open the services window.

• Scroll down to find “Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service” and ensure to have this service started and check if this helps.
    Keep us informed to help you further.

Arul_D, Mar 17, 2017
  3. class not registered windows 10 edge

Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service is not listed in services. What do I do now?

GaneshKoteshwar, Mar 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I don't think the Internet Explorer Event Tracing (Windows) service has anything to do with your problems (and no, I don't have it either).
    Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

First, try a Restart. This will do a full cold start of Windows (Shut down and turning back on doesn't, not if fast start is enabled).

If that doesn't change anything, try re-registering the apps.
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 8 and 10
    (edit: I see you've tried that already)

If all else fails, try an in-place repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

5. Galane Win User
    Restarting hasn't fixed it. *Sad Fast startup has been off since I did a clean install of 10, which I did because of a corrupted component store that not even an in-place upgrade would fix.

Just did DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth which says there's nothing wrong.

Galane, Mar 17, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    The ETW service can be disabled. It is a left over from when it got installed on machines in 2009.

bro67, Mar 17, 2017
  7. Galane Win User
    The reveal desktop spot on the right end of the taskbar doesn't work either. I wonder if uninstalling Classic Shell would fix this?

Galane, Mar 17, 2017
  8. Galane Win User

KB3150513 installed on the 16th, the same day this problem cropped up. I very much doubt it's a coincidence. From what I can find KB3150513 is a thing that checks your computer to see if it's compatible with Windows 10.

If it's running Windows 10 already, there's no need to push an update to check for Windows 10 compatibility! Great Job, Microsoft. Push a useless update and break Windows.

Most recent updates before that were on March 14th, KB4013429, KB4013418, and security update for Adobe flash player. Prior to that was KB3211320 January 25th,

Galane, Mar 18, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Microsoft did not break anything. The Reveal Desktop would not be on the task bar if you did not allow it in Classic Shell. It is a non-needed item, unless you are opening stuff up from your desktop which is just doing more keystrokes.

bro67, Mar 18, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    This time round, that would probably be for compatibility with the Creators Update due shortly.

11. Galane Win User
    I didn't disable any of the things that quit working the day KB3150513 was installed. I finally had to do an "upgrade" in place to the same version of 10, then reinstall KB4013429. Everything was then back exactly as it was prior to the 16th - except for Windows 7 Solitaire getting removed.

Galane, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service, no Start Menu - Similar Threads - Missing Internet Explorer

2. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu missing: hello there i have problem a long time *how to fix this* all in windows 10 is been success taskbar search box have 1 is start bottom is so missing before i search cmd and type sfc /scannow finish after that...
  3. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu missing: hello there i have problem a long time *how to fix this* all in windows 10 is been success taskbar search box have 1 is start bottom is so missing before i search cmd and type sfc /scannow finish after that...
  4. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Missing start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing start menu: I did the Windows 10 update, the only way the start menu will open is to right click, and classic menu opens. It like my apps are no longer on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-start-menu/d92a6a67-299a-4ce9-8b6f-c446fff2a957
  6. Missing start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing start menu: I did the Windows 10 update, the only way the start menu will open is to right click, and classic menu opens. It like my apps are no longer on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-start-menu/d92a6a67-299a-4ce9-8b6f-c446fff2a957
  7. Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service Installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service Installation: Hello everyone, I have in the past 2 PCs with windows 7, I had updated free the software to Windows 10 home, at the end of the installation, both computers do not have installed the service "Internet Explorer ETW Collector" I have tried many things as SFC, DISM commands,...
  8. missing start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    missing start menu: Start menu and taskbar missing from Windows 10 tried task manager, powershell, etc. nothing works, any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/missing-start-menu/dc11fbd5-343b-4ef3-8758-e34d5f8e9b46
  9. Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu

in Browsers and Email
    Adding Internet Explorer Shortcut to Start Menu: Thanks for taking a look at my issue. I am trying to add the IE shortcut to my start-menu but I am finding it very difficult. I found some instructions online but they seem very complicated given that I am able to add other shortcuts with ease. Thanks! 117120
  10. Adding Internet Explorer Sortcut to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Internet Explorer Sortcut to Start Menu: Thanks for taking a look at my issue. I am trying to add the IE shortcut to my start-menu but I am finding it very difficult. I found some instructions online but they seem very complicated given that I am able to add other shortcuts with ease. Thanks! 117120

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer etw collector servvice misssing

2. windows 10 can i disable Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service

3. windows 10 cannot find internet explorer etw collector service

4. enable internet explorer etw collector service,
  5. Do not see Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service,
  6. Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service missing