Windows 10: Missing Lockscreen setting icons and unfunctional spotlight lockscreen

Discus and support Missing Lockscreen setting icons and unfunctional spotlight lockscreen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm on Windows 10 pro, version 1607, and I have two problems, both of which I believe may be connected. My lock screen spotlight image does not change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by tsp216, Jan 19, 2017.

1. tsp216 Win User

Missing Lockscreen setting icons and unfunctional spotlight lockscreen

I'm on Windows 10 pro, version 1607, and I have two problems, both of which I believe may be connected.
    My lock screen spotlight image does not change every now and then; the lock screen spotlight functionality that changes the lock screen picture once every couple of days used to work, but is now stuck on this one image (of a viking helmet) for about 2 months.
    As a result, I went to check the settings->Personalise->Lock screen option and discovered a second problem: there are 'x' marks on the settings "Choose an app to show detailed status", which I believe did not used to be the case. I believe these two problems are somehow related. I've added a screenshot of my settings. Additionally, the "preview", as shown in the screenshot, does not display anything.

Missing Lockscreen setting icons and unfunctional spotlight lockscreen [​IMG]

:)

tsp216, Jan 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 Home; Spotlight lock screen background does not work properly.

There is still a problem with Windows Spotlight and setting the LockScreen background Picture in Windows 10 Pro. Loading 12 brand new HP laptops, freshly updated, brand new and I have issues on a few of them with Windows Spotlight. My issue is I cannot
    set a LockScreen Picture for the background image, it keeps showing the same stuck Spotlight picture.

The problem: LockScreen- Spotlight never changes, gets stuck on one picture. Changing to Picture, and setting a new Lock Screen picture, still keeps showing the stuck Spotlight image on the lock screen. Change LockScreen to Spotlight from Picture, close
    Settings, re-open LockScreen settings, it is set back to Picture. Set a Lockscreen custom picture, change LockScreen to Spotlight then back to Picture, custom picture is lost and it shows the stuck Spotlight Picture. Lockscreen-Spotlight shows a greyed out
    background with no image in settings.

Obviously this is a bug.

Solution: The only solution which seems to resolve some of this for me.

1. Set LockScreen to Picture

2. Navigate to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_<somecharacters>\Settings

3. Delete both files here. Do not rename them.

4. Set LockScreen to Windows Spotlight

5. Open Powershell( x86) as Admin and Run the following command

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager -allusers | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

6. Restart

7. Set the LockScreen background picture again, and it should stick now.

This does not seem to resolve the messed up Spotlight issues, something is very broken with Lock Screen Spotlight in Windows 10.

GrantHayman, Jan 19, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Which screen on my pc is the Lock Screen, where do I locate it?

Hi Bandit, when your PC boots, the screen before the Login screen is the Lockscreen

To change settings for your Lockscreen

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start menu)

Go to Personalisation - Lockscreen

Options include

Spotlight - random images and information from the Microsoft Servers

Picture - Choose a Static Image

Slideshow - Use a slideshow

DaveM121, Jan 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, can I guess that at some point you have disabled the lock screen?
    Basic question: have you uninstalled any apps to which the X's would refer- and if not, are they working? (There should be 8 if you click a +)

It seems pretty much impossible to fully repair 'spotlight' once damaged. After disabling lock screen, I eventually realised when I enabled it again with spotlight 'Like what you see' was no longer displayed, and the picture wasn't changing.

Fiddling around, I now have a functional lock screen (Windows key + L) but the lock screen is often not displayed on resuming from sleep.

Like you, I have a preview for Picture, but grey for Spotlight.

If you search for
    "Like what you see" missing
    for example, you will find a good number of reports.

I've concluded the only likely way to repair this fully is either
    a. create another user (works for another account on my PC)
    b. try an in-place upgrade repair install

unless you have system restore points or an appropriate disk image.

dalchina, Jan 19, 2017
  5. tsp216 Win User
    @dalchina I don't think I ever disabled the lock screen spotlight option. The 4 'x' refer to system apps, namely calendar (x2), mail and weather. I never touched them. I do not have any system restore points roughly before the problem occurred. Strangely, the 'Like what you see' option occasionally comes up and one time when it did, I selected something like 'keep showing me these' or something similar.

tsp216, Jan 19, 2017
  6. yadayada Win User
    I know this is an old thread but I had the exact same issue and was able to fix it - it was caused by Icaros Thumbnail provider. After uninstalling Icaros and clearing the thumbnail and icon caches, the wallpaper preview and app status icons appeared again

yadayada, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing Lockscreen setting icons and unfunctional spotlight lockscreen - Similar Threads - Missing Lockscreen setting

2. how to disable the lockscreen spotlight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to disable the lockscreen spotlight: i wnat to customize my window locksceen.but i can't access my lockscreen settings.so please help me to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-lockscreen-spotlight/8c31abea-b204-487f-9705-2e5e0747a2fa
  3. how to disable the lockscreen spotlight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to disable the lockscreen spotlight: i wnat to customize my window locksceen.but i can't access my lockscreen settings.so please help me to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-lockscreen-spotlight/8c31abea-b204-487f-9705-2e5e0747a2fa
  4. Spotlight/Lockscreen storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spotlight/Lockscreen storage: I would like to be able to save or retrieve a recently displayed lockscreen to use as one of my W10 wallpaper backgrounds. There was a period of time when those images were stored in a somewhat hidden folder:...
  5. Spotlight/Lockscreen storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spotlight/Lockscreen storage: I would like to be able to save or retrieve a recently displayed lockscreen to use as one of my W10 wallpaper backgrounds. There was a period of time when those images were stored in a somewhat hidden folder. That no longer seems to be the case; if I go to that folder there...
  6. Spotlight/Lockscreen storage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotlight/Lockscreen storage: I would like to be able to save or retrieve a recently displayed lockscreen to use as one of my W10 wallpaper backgrounds. There was a period of time when those images were stored in a somewhat hidden folder. That no longer seems to be the case; if I go to that folder there...
  7. Windows Spotlight Lockscreen Not Working

Windows Spotlight Lockscreen Not Working: Hi, I'm having three issues: sfc /scannow, chkdsk c:/f, chkdsk c:/r, and Windows Spotlight Lockscreen are all not working. What happened? Basically, I tried System Restore to fix the issue with sfc /scannow and chkdsk, but this caused Windows Lockscreen to stop working....
  8. Spotlight on lockscreen isnt working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Spotlight on lockscreen isnt working: Hi Two weeks ago my lockscreen spotlight stop working. I tried everything I found on the Internet but nothing worked. I tried: 1.https://simpleitpro.com/index.php/2020/06/22/windows-spotlight-not-working-fix-it-with-a-reset-or-re-register/ 2....
  9. Changing Lockscreen, disabling spotlight

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Lockscreen, disabling spotlight: submitted by /u/ILeftMyRoomForThis [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/igqfmf/changing_lockscreen_disabling_spotlight/
  10. lockscreen window spotlight is not working

lockscreen window spotlight is not working: lockscreen window spotlight is not working. help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/m%C3%A0n-h%C3%ACnh-kh%C3%B3a/e5673dee-5418-408a-930f-9c6b1998050e