Windows 10: missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder

Discus and support missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; From one of my Windows 10 machines I am unable to access the shared folders on the other. The troubleshooter says "One or more network protocols are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Feb 12, 2016.

1. missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder

From one of my Windows 10 machines I am unable to access the shared folders on the other. The troubleshooter says "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" and "Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing." Does anyone have any ideas?

I have run sfc /scannow, but no problems were found. I don't get the problem when sharing in the other direction or when accessing the shared folders on the same machine.

This comes amidst a cluster of sharing-related problems. Before the reboot after which the present problem manifested itself, shares going in the other direction were invisible in the network browser (but could be accessed via the search bar). Also, the machine in question does not appear in the HomeGroup browser even though it is a member of the HomeGroup.

:)

ricecrispies, Feb 12, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

One or more internet protocol missing

Hi!

When do you get this error? Are you wired or wireless?

I got this error setting up a Local Network. My advanced sharing options where not the same on the different machines. When trying to access a share on the network, or limiting the folders shared on a machine. Then when I enabled HomeGroup. (The HomeGroup
    required network discovery enabled for public network. Even if my connection was in Private Network.)

The missing protocol was not always on the machine the network diagnostics tool was ran on.

Teddy2016, Feb 12, 2016
  3. PaulTassi Win User
    4/2/2016 windows 10.0.10586 File Explorer will not connect to MyBookLiveDuo

The last successful connection was on 3/28/2016. The conclusion is that a Windows 10 update has caused the problem.
    File Explorer does show device MyBookLiveDuo

Expanding responds with Windows cannot access \\MYBOOKLIVEDUO

Details: Error 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found
    [Diagnose] responds with 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer'

Try these repairs as administrator: responds with 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer' Not Fixed
    Explore Additional Options - Find Related Troubleshooters - Incoming Connections - Share File or Folders

responds with 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer'

Try these repairs as administrator: responds with 'one or more network protocols are missing on this computer' Fixed
    No Change:

File Explorer does show device MyBookLiveDuo

Expanding responds with Windows cannot access \\MYBOOKLIVEDUO

Details: Error 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found
    Using File Explorer to connect by IP address \\192.168.x.x results in the same problem.
    Using File Explorer to connect to a file path \\mybookliveduo\sharename

Windows Security Connect to mybookliveduo prompts for a user name and password

Entering the proper credentials responds with \\mybookliveduo\sharename is not accessible.
    Network and Sharing Center - Change advanced sharing settings

using either Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections or Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers has no effect on the problem.
    Turning the Windows Firewall off has not effect on the problem.
    http://mybookliveduo/UI/# allows me to login and all diagnostics passed

The Windows 10 WD App and Windows Media Player is able to connect to the public folder and play media files

The Windows 10 WD Discovery App does show MyBookLiveDuo but does not allow Browse Network Shares or Map Network Shares.
    Turn Windows Features on or off shows SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled.
    Searching for historical fixes to the problem has been unsuccessful. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PaulTassi, Feb 12, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder

Over discussed issue, due to Microsoft in their infinite wisdom thought that networking would be more secure by crippling it, instead of fixing their mistakes. Some have been able to disable SMB 2 & 3 and get it to work again.

bro67, Feb 13, 2016
  5. Thanks for your suggestion. Strangely though, the problem seems to have corrected itself (without even a reboot, although I had rebooted several times previously in my attempts to solve it). But I will try your suggestion if I continue to have further weird SMB problems in the future.

ricecrispies, Feb 14, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
Thema:

missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder

1. missing network protocols prevent access to shared folder - Similar Threads - missing network protocols

2. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  3. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  4. Share tab missing for folder in network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share tab missing for folder in network drive: Hi all,Need help. Tried the methods listed below in the previous thread but to no avail.Also tried to check if {f81e9010-6ea4-11ce-a7ff-00aa003ca9f6} is blocked but only have approved and cached only in my registry.Anyone has a solution?Thanks in advance.Method 1: Registry...
  5. Missing Network Protocols

in Browsers and Email
    Missing Network Protocols: I'm trying to get to Gibson's Research website. I cannot access it. I'm being told I'm missing network protocols. Haven't a clue. Any idea's. How do I find what protocols I'm missing. Windows 10 on a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet. Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge cannot...
  6. One or more network protocols missing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One or more network protocols missing?: So I've had this issue for about three days now. I am able to connect to my home router, but I am unable to connect to the Internet. Troubleshooter said "One or more network protocols are missing". Not sure what happened, never touched networking except for connecting to my...
  7. Network Protocols Missing

Network Protocols Missing: Noted immediately after 1511 total system update, yet may have been inherited from an earlier build... All is working well, yet Network Troubleshooter reports "one or more network protocols is missing." Various posted remedies have been verified or implemented, to no...
  8. One Or More Network Protocols Are Missing

One Or More Network Protocols Are Missing: So I let Windows fix it for me, and I usually need to toggle my WiFi connection off and back on again. But then I have the same connection problem again. I read there was some recent update from Microsoft causing this problem. Does anyone know who to get rid of it...
  9. Missing Network Protocols Windows 10

Missing Network Protocols Windows 10: What can be done about "Missing Network Protocols", Windows 10 both computers/laptops? 41422
  10. No internet access, some protocols are missing

No internet access, some protocols are missing: Hello, This just happened recently, and still not fixed. My router modem is changed. The internet works properly in any other devices which are not win10. From the wifi connection: it's connected to ssid but no internet access. I cant even ping the gateway. And from the...