Windows 10: Missing Product key

Discus and support Missing Product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Daughter has a HP laptop with Windows 8.1 on it, the windows 10 upgrade offered her the upgrade but it is now asking for the product key but her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by xendistar, Jul 31, 2015.

1. xendistar Win User

Missing Product key

My Daughter has a HP laptop with Windows 8.1 on it, the windows 10 upgrade offered her the upgrade but it is now asking for the product key but her laptop does not have a a sticker on the bottom of her laptop (yes it is a legit copy before anybody says anything). The Windows 8 install will be OEM so what option other than contacting HP what can she do??

:)

xendistar, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jul 31, 2015
  3. product key missing

when I enter the USB with window 10 setup on it, it loads but then says windows cannot read product key what do i do to fix that

xXJordansXx, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Missing Product key

Try this script---
    Unless you don't have access to the computer because you are in the process of upgrading it. *Sad

ShowKey v1.3.vbs

A picture-

Missing Product key [​IMG]

David Bailey, Jul 31, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Thanks

+1 for you

I'd forgotten / lost the old W8.1 key I had on my system after upgrading to RTM - anyway it works fine on W10 too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2015
  6. xendistar Win User
    Thanks David Bailey, will pass that on to my daughter and see what the outcome is.

Cheers

Tim

xendistar, Jul 31, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    I'm confused.

The Windows 10 free upgrade can't directly use a license key from any earlier version of Windows. The normal installation should be done as a full upgrade (keeping everything - files, settings, applications). If that is done over an activated qualifying version, Win 10 will be activated.

I did mine using the Media Creation Tool rather than waiting for the "reserved" upgrade:

Windows 10

If memory serves (unlikely), I wasn't asked for a key.

I was asked for a key when I clean installed on the same hardware later. The free upgrade doesn't provide one. I just skipped the key, and the installation activated online later. (That's how it is supposed to work.)

bobkn, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Missing Product key

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    Incidentally, most PC makers use SLP. The key that a keyfinder shows won't be the one on the COA (certificate of authenticity).

The COA sticker is sometimes hidden in the battery compartment, where it won't be damaged.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Missing Product key

1. Missing Product key - Similar Threads - Missing Product key

2. Missing Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Windows Product Key: I bought a new SSD and installed a copy of Windows 10 on it and wiped my old hard drive. Now I have no way to activate windows on the new SSD. The old hard drive had Windows 7 on it when I bought it and then I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. Can I get any help?...
  3. Missing Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing Windows Product Key: I bought a new SSD and installed a copy of Windows 10 on it and wiped my old hard drive. Now I have no way to activate windows on the new SSD. The old hard drive had Windows 7 on it when I bought it and then I did the free upgrade to Windows 10. Can I get any help?...
  4. Missing Windows Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Missing Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Missing Product Key: How and where can I find/locate my product key to activate my window 10 Home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-product-key/45fecb3e-b156-403e-aa8d-85d8cc609ff6
  6. ACTIVATION LOST/MISSING PRODUCT KEY

ACTIVATION LOST/MISSING PRODUCT KEY: Since updating Windows 10 to version 20H2, I have lost product key and Windows no longer activated. I got original product key when purchasing this ASUS laptop about 4 years ago. Also have FLTMGR.SYS error and a host of other problems. Computer is a mess so can barely use...
  7. Missing Product key

Missing Product key: Hi, I am Ishara IT officer of a government organization of Sri Lanka, I had to re-install Windows 10 pro for a pc of our office, that had licensed version of Windows 10 pro. So before I start format the PC, I took a picture of This PC's properties, that include OS is...
  8. Missing Product key

Missing Product key: This confirmation email does not contain the product key to activate the product Windows 10 Home that I have bought from Microsoft website https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-product-key/64cef4b6-1923-4fc0-9e8f-24753d88f738
  9. missing product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    missing product key: i bought this computer brand new as a window 7. one day the hard drive went out so I put new hard drive and using a recovery disk I made while back I reinstalled window 7. but stayed with an issue because it keeps asking for a product key, but it never had one and I do...
  10. On-line Product Key missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On-line Product Key missing: Has anybody else lost their on-line product key number? Mine was taken with the MS auto upgrade and it is to expensive to re-purchase - so unfair. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-line-product-key-missing/84c728e4-5837-4ce7-bc3a-7d884fd5fa7e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 USB install “Windows cannot read the <Product Key> from the unattend start file”