Windows 10: Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update

Discus and support Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, After the recent 'Anniversary Update', I noticed that several things have either gone missing, or need to be re-set. The first thing I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DogPal, Sep 21, 2016.

1. DogPal Win User

Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update

Hi All,
    After the recent 'Anniversary Update', I noticed that several things have either gone missing, or need to be re-set.
    The first thing I noticed was that the icon for "Search", (the little magnifying glass icon), is missing from my taskbar.
    How do I get it back?
    The next issues are regarding 'Default' programs that I chose when I set everything up after the upgrade from 8.1 to 10.
    One example is Microsoft decided to use Groove Music, thereby replacing MY default selection of Windows Media Player!
    When I noticed that change, I knew that I should make sure my other settings were OK, but they also changed my choice for 'Maps' from my choice of Bing & replaced it with 'Maps.Windows'.
    There are also several other additions to the Start Menu that weren't there before, so I decided that I should do the setup we all had to do before using 10 for the 1st time, but when I clicked on "Let's get Started", it's all about the Anniversary Upgrade!
    How do I get to the original preference settings so I can make sure Microsoft didn't change anything else, especially the Privacy/Security settings?
    I know for a fact that I disabled 'Error Reporting', but if I open something that doesn't work correctly, I get that message box with the green status bar stating that "Windows is searching for a solution"!
    I've tried using the "Settings" thing, but it doesn't get me to the settings I'm concerned about, & when I went to "Control Panel", I wasn't able to change the 'Maps' default, or get rid of the 'Groove Music' choice & change it to WMP. so I just decided to ask the experts...YOU!
    I appreciate any suggestions so I can get things back to the way I set it up, but please use LOTS of details!
    Thanks for taking the time to read & respond to my problems. I really hope they don't make a habit of undoing my choices every time they do an upgrade...they're getting awfully pushy in their old age!
    Oh, if anyone knows how to permanently & completely remove Cortana, X-Box, Skype, Phone & other additions I don't want, nor will I ever use, please include that info, too! If it's a registry thing, use even more details than might be necessary...I'm kinda nervous, but I'm not afraid of my PC...yet. LOL *Wink
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    All the Best,

:)

DogPal, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Joiyb Win User

Missing Bluetooth icon and settings on Windows 10

After the recent windows 10 update I noticed the Bluetooth icon on the taskbar was missing and when I search "Bluetooth" in the search bar it only shows "airplane mode" as a result on my system and the other related results are on the web. But my wireless
    mouse seems to be working fine. I just cant access the Bluetooth settings to allow for my system to receive files from other devices. Could it be a driver issue? How can I resolve this?

Joiyb, Sep 21, 2016
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    battery status icon missing

Missing laptop battery icon in Windows

CarolLJ, Sep 21, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

1. the icon for "Search", (the little magnifying glass icon), is missing from my taskbar.
    I'm not familiar with that on the taskbar, sorry. What did it do?
    Do you mean rt click taskbar, click Show Cortana icon? (That's a circle).

2. Default programs.
    I didn't find any changes in default programs when I did the upgrade.
    However, you can always reset them. You can search the Tutorial section for 'default'. I've done it for you.
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    and for future ease of restoration:
    Default App Associations - Export and Import for New Users in Windows - Windows 10 Forums

3. Start menu and privacy -

4. Problem Reporting
    Disable/Enable Problem Reporting - Windows 10 Forums

5. Uninstalling apps - For those where this is supported in the start menu (e.g. Skype), right click the start menu entry, click Uninstall.

Note: a search engine could really be your best friend... and do feel free to use the Tutorial section. Have a look- lots of very clear sets of instructions with screenshots.
    Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    1607 will revert to 1511's looking glass icon if Cortana is disabled (eg. by following Brink's tutorial).
    It could just be that it's set to 'hidden'. A right-click on an empty part of taskbar shows three options under Search/Cortana - hidden, show icon, and show search box.

6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks Bree- never had cause to disable Cortana- I just don't use it!
    (Try 'Hey Cortana, play some music' .... when you have no music configured in Groove..
    'Sure, queueing up your music' she says cheerfully).

Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    My favourite is to ask "Where is Siri?"

Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update [​IMG]

8. M4v3r1ck Win User

LOL!!!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Sep 22, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Try
    What did you dream about?
    Do you like cats?
    Do you prefer dogs?
    etc etc...!

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing "search" icon from taskbar & other issues after last update - Similar Threads - Missing search icon

2. Icons are missing from taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons are missing from taskbar: Icons are missing from taskbar and it happens randomly. I've tried all methods from internet, which have helped me only for several minutes and the problem exists again. I have an official version of Windows 11, so I'm waiting that it should work...
  3. Icons are missing from taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons are missing from taskbar: Icons are missing from taskbar and it happens randomly. I've tried all methods from internet, which have helped me only for several minutes and the problem exists again. I have an official version of Windows 11, so I'm waiting that it should work...
  4. Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ?: Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-new-search-icon-not-displayed-in-the/5fea2592-3f33-49f3-a8bc-ad563e165614
  5. Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ?

Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ?: Why is the new search icon not displayed in the taskbar after update Windows to last version ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-new-search-icon-not-displayed-in-the/5fea2592-3f33-49f3-a8bc-ad563e165614
  6. Taskbar Icons Missing After Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Icons Missing After Update: After the last update, some of my taskbar icons are missing. The apps themselves are still there, it's just that the space where the icon should be is all black. The ones affected are: Mail, iCloud and Voice Recorder. I have tried unpinning and resetting but the result is...
  7. Taskbar Icons Missing After Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icons Missing After Update: After the last update, some of my taskbar icons are missing. The apps themselves are still there, it's just that the space where the icon should be is all black. The ones affected are: Mail, iCloud and Voice Recorder. I have tried unpinning and resetting but the result is...
  8. Taskbar Icons Missing After Update

9. Date, Time and other icons missing from Taskbar after 21H1 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Date, Time and other icons missing from Taskbar after 21H1 update: I just installed the 21H1 update, followed by the KB5003214 and KN5003252 updates. Now the Date, Time and other icons such as Volume, Wifi etc are all missing from the Taskbar usually on the right-hand end. Now there is just a 3 inch empty space. Sometimes erratically so they...
  10. icons are missing from the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    icons are missing from the taskbar: Is Start Menu Troubleshooter still available? I've got the problem where icons are missing from the taskbar but otherwise the system seems fine. I've run /sfc scannow but it's unable to fix the corrupted files. I've run DISM and repaired the component score but it's still...