Windows 10: Missing subdirectory in Explorer

Discus and support Missing subdirectory in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a directory called CARS with four subdirectories called FORD, CHEVY, DODGE and VW. These are not the real names but I rename them for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gougmonk, Sep 14, 2016.

1. gougmonk Win User

Missing subdirectory in Explorer

I have a directory called CARS with four subdirectories called FORD, CHEVY, DODGE and VW. These are not the real names but I rename them for simplication. The VW directory contains several files. I have been using these files for over a year. Today the VW subdirectory is gone! This has happened before in Windows 7 and 10 and the missing subdirectory is located under another directory. Not sure how they have wandered away but in the past I have simply located them and dragged them back to their correct location.

When I do a file search today for any of the files in VW I get a blank. Any idea where the VW subdirectory and files might have gone?

:)

gougmonk, Sep 14, 2016

2. File Explorer will not remain opened

The file explorer window will not stay opened. I am able to open File Explorer and navigate to the subdirectory I want, but as soon as I open a file, File Explorer spontaneously closes.

Ideas?

DonArsenault, Sep 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 finding network drives

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and seem to have a few problems. I can connect to my networked drive using File Explorer and get to the various folders and subdirectories.

However when using my QuickBooks application and trying to backup to the networked drive, it sees the drive but cannot connect to it or to any subdirectories. I get a notice that the connection is not working (but it is in explorer). I had no problem previously
    using Windows 8.1 so I am not sure why there is a problem with Windows 10.

Any ideas are welcome.

MrToySafety, Sep 14, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Many times, by accident you drag a file into a nearby directory by mistake.
    If you have done a search for your lost files and come up with nothing, you may have mistakenly deleted them.
    Use the free Recuva software to try and Recover (recuva) them. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.

spunk, Sep 14, 2016
  5. gougmonk Win User
    Thanks spunk, I'll get Recuva and try it.

gougmonk, Sep 14, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    This may be due to corruption of the disk's file structure. Has the system crashed recently? If so, CHKDSK may be able to find and recover them.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing subdirectory in Explorer - Similar Threads - Missing subdirectory Explorer

2. Import photos into month and year subdirectories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import photos into month and year subdirectories: I have an iPhone that I sync with my desktop Windows 10 machine. I am having a problem when importing pictures. Previously, the photos went into subdirectories by year and month taken 2020-11, 2020-12 etc. This was all done automatically. I have been doing this for...
  3. Regular subdirectories missing and "location" tab missing in properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Regular subdirectories missing and "location" tab missing in properties: Hi - I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am setting up a new PC which has an SSD C: for programs and HDD D: for data. I have successfully relocated the regular subdirectories Docs/photos etc. to the HDD for my profile, but when I attempt the same for other...
  4. Take ownership subdirectories fail

Take ownership subdirectories fail: I take ownership of a folder it works on that folder. But all the folders underneath create errors cannot enumerate, no permission. How do I get around this without dealing with each folder by hand separately?...
  5. Windows 10 won't boot and windows subdirectories are missing!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't boot and windows subdirectories are missing!: Windows 10 would not boot from my hard drive. The error code 0xc0000098 was reported along with missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe. Startup repair could not fix it and when I tried to revert to a restore point or restore from an image, it could not find any. When I ran the...
  6. Folders Missing in Explorer

Folders Missing in Explorer: I opened up file explorer this morning and on my D drive, only my photos folder was visible. Six other folders seem to be missing. I checked a few recent files through excel and word and I could open them up without any problem. In the applications, when I look for a recent...
  7. Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...

Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when ...: Directories and subdirectories still appear on File Explorer even when I have successfully deleted its contents (in the temporary files in setup-systems-storage) I just wonder why the folders are still there! Well, I’m just cleanings up and am curious if I can remove the...
  8. Missing Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing Explorer: I have Windows 10. my Internet Explorer Missing I don't see it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-explorer/ffeef898-9158-44fb-84dc-01569558f088
  9. Right click on explorer doesn't allow to traverse subdirectories

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click on explorer doesn't allow to traverse subdirectories: Hello, I have a very specific question about the Windows 10. This started from recently, like in the last couple of months. Thus, I presume it might be an update that triggered this behavior and should be corrected. Namely, when one right-clicks on the explorer, pinned at...
  10. Missing Explorer Ribbon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Explorer Ribbon.: I have no explorer ribbon and not sure what happened to it. Been rather busy lately with other things, so maybe it was never there on install and didn't take notice... not sure. I just know it's not there now. Any help greatly appreciated. 115512