MKV file data is missing in V.1803 (playback not affected)

Discus and support MKV file data is missing in V.1803 (playback not affected) in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Version 1803 doesn't show some file details for files with the MKV extension. Version 1709 did not have this problem. Using codec h.264, if I use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cpmusic, May 29, 2018.

1. cpmusic Win User

Version 1803 doesn't show some file details for files with the MKV extension. Version 1709 did not have this problem.

Using codec h.264, if I use the MP4 container, I get all file details. But if I use MKV, some details are missing, including frame width, frame height, frame rate, data rate, total bitrate, and the thumbnail image.

This occurs whether I create the file new as MKV, or if I convert an MP4 to MKV (I use XMedia Recode, copying everything rather than converting). And if I convert MKV to MP4, the file data appears. That seems to narrow the problem to the file extension.

Video playback is not affected in VLC or Pot Player. The problem lies strictly in the file details that Windows displays, and it's the same in File Manager and FreeCommander, so it appears to be rooted somewhere in Windows itself with the 1803 update.

Internet searches turn up the same or similar problem in Windows 10 as far back as 2016, but this is the first time I've come upon it. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

cpmusic, May 29, 2018
  2. mon2---01 Win User

mkv playback

i have nokia 603 (symbian belle fp 2), i need a mkv playback video player for it.

mon2---01, May 30, 2018
  3. Marek St. Win User
    Video app in Windows Phone OS 8.1 is not supporting .mkv / .flv formats

Hi Dineshkumar Ramasamy.

Thank You for posting on the forum.

I understand that you are looking for a way to playback MKV and FLV format files on your Windows Phone Device.

Unfortuantely there is no built in support for these types of files, it would be great if you could voice your suggestion to implement such by using this website here :

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

Here you will find a full list of suported formats :

Supported media codecs for Windows Phone 8

And here more information about the media playback:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/music-and-videos/music-and-videos-on-my-windows-phone

When it comes to suggesting a specific app that you could rely on for the playback, due to the fair competition policy I won't be able to provide one. My sugestion on that matter would be to search for those specific file formats in the Windows Phone Store
    and to get familliar with the posted comments.

Thank You

Marek S.

Marek St., May 30, 2018
Thema:

MKV file data is missing in V.1803 (playback not affected) - Similar Threads - MKV file data

1. 1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv: and e.g. frame height and width are no longer listed for almost all mkv files and some mp4 files. strangely, some few mkv files work, though most dont display properties in windows file explorer since the 1803 update. apparently this seems to be an issue looking at the...
  2. .MKV files don't work properly with WMP?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .MKV files don't work properly with WMP?: VLC is fine, but why does Windows Media Player have problems? It always closes and says it encountered a problem playing the file. It only seems that .mkv files is the issue. Avi files etc, seem perfectly fine. Anyone else have same problems or a way of resolving the issue?...
  3. How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I edit the metadata of mp4, avi and mkv files?: When viewing by details, you can choose to add various columns of metadata to the folder to sort files by, such as album or genre. How do you edit any of this data, for any file type? Right now my TV shows are sorted by season on my PC, but in different folders. What I...
  4. How to add details to mkv files for explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add details to mkv files for explorer?: Hi, is there any way to add details to mkv files and with details I mean for example year? So I can sort my mkv files in folder by year? [img] 86947
  5. Can't cast youtube (with edge) and .mkv files to Samsung UHD SmartTV

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't cast youtube (with edge) and .mkv files to Samsung UHD SmartTV: Hi! I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. I am running windows 10 on my PC and I have a 2015 UHD Samsung TV UE48JU6400. When I try to cast mkv files it just says loading on my tv and a message comes up that says" The selected format is not currently supported" which...
  6. some specific large mkv files' transferring freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    some specific large mkv files' transferring freezes: Hi. I am currently trying to transfer files to my new 4tb WD external HD. Ran into a problem where some specific large mkv files transferring freezed. don't know what causes it. I did try to copy and paste the same file on the original location, same thing happened, so I know...
  7. Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files: Hello, I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time it tries to browse the content, even on some rather old mkv files. Explorer is unable either to display the duration or to...