Windows 10: Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help

Discus and support Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Folks, with Windows 10 (64-Bit) all drivers are getting installed automatically, but they are not always latest & some years old but all devices works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Craige, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Craige Win User

Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help

Folks, with Windows 10 (64-Bit) all drivers are getting installed automatically, but they are not always latest & some years old but all devices works flawlessly. Still, just for the sake of it I am deciding to install all latest drivers form Asus website and confused as hell!

Using: Asus Z97 Deluxe Mobo with 4790K CPU, Plz use direct Link below to locate drivers for my below query(In order):
    https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

I am checking my currently installed driver version numbers and one that is available on website and need detailed help in understanding, please be patient:-

1] Chipset, now which one I have to install as out of 4 listed in this category… 3 of them are different and unique. They are: MEI_V11.0.0.1155_20150709_WHQL_1.5M, Intel Management Engine Interface, Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.7. Also, possible to check what current driver versions are installed ?

2] Audio drivers installed on my PC is latest as compared to one given on Asus website – Is it possible Asus not having latest driver for audio and somehow windows installed it automatically from their servers ?

3] VGA – do I require it? Using DVI cable for 1080P resolution

4] Lan – Under Which tab/sub-tab to check driver version?

5] Wireless - Under Which tab/sub-tab to check driver version?

6] SATA – Do I have to check only under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers? All drivers installed there are from year 2006. So, which driver to get now… under SATA in Asus website, there are so many diff. drivers

7] Bluetooth - Audio drivers installed on my PC is latest as compared to one given on Asus website. (Still Bluetooth on/off switch is missing from OS options and have to Disable radio altogether to shutoff Bluetooth) – Any possible solutions/tried reinstalling drivers as well.

My Device Manager Screenshot:

Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help [​IMG]

:)

Craige, Mar 3, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Installing Mainboard Drivers From the Disk

Hi Vlad, the Asus M5A78L-M PLUS is not a standard motherboard and as such Windows Update will probably not supply the drivers you need.

You should definitely install the drivers from the Utility Disk that came with your Mobo . . .

DaveM121, Mar 3, 2016
  3. J.DD Win User
    Activation after replaceing motherboard

Is the replacement mobo the same mobo as the old mobo?

If it is, nothing will change. If the mobo is different, you could connect the hdd, it'll probably install drivers for the new mobo.

But it'll keep the drivers from the previous mobo on the hdd as well

It may or may not stay activated tho. You'll have to give MS a ring

BUT, if the old and the new mobo use different chipsets, then it'd be better doing a clean install.

Because you will have probs, if you install different chipset drivers / and drivers on one hdd, it'll probably crash sooner or later

J.DD, Mar 3, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Hey Craig,
    Show you ones first you should do, if version are in there installation will let you know you are putting older ones in, then just cancel if not install them. For one at ASUS site choose Windows 10 64bit or 32bit whichever your system is.

2 important for now
    MEI_V11.0.0.1155_20150709_WHQL_1.5M this is Intel Management Interface engine
    Intel Chipset V10.1.1.7 for Win10 32bit&64bit this is the Intel chipset drivers

SATA Controllers would be next, looks to me only standard ones in there and ASUS site shows 2, Intel and ASMedia drivers.
    Get back to this one, more involved on installing SATA Drivers after installing Operating system as they are usually done just before.

Audio drivers if you are using the integrated card, then sure ones there are recent enough or can even go to Realtek, but be best to do it there and can count on Windows update to get you right ones for those.

VGA are again for integrated card if that is what you use ,do you have a PCI Slot card ? If not these are it, but if a slot card we can check this more and can be obtained at NVIDIA or AMD site whichever it is.

Network Adapter LAN and Wireless look correct if you right click each select Properties then the driver tab, compare driver version to one on ASUS site. Be same way with Bluetooth.

Start first with top 2, then work with SATA Controller drivers, no need to rush it.

jds63, Mar 3, 2016
  5. Craige Win User
    For Chipset:

Out of 4, which one to get. Also, cant understand what is the first one for?
    Also, possible to know anyway what version is installed right now?

Sata:
    I understand one is for Intel and one for Asmedia. But, what is this for driver for: IRST_V14.5.0.1081_WHQL (option 2)

Craige, Mar 5, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    The MEI file is another copy of the Management Engine Interface. Looks like it's the same version, although it may contain some sort of hotfix. (it's listed as a couple of weeks newer than the other one.)

The chipset software again seems to be two copies of the same thing. Intel usually makes a couple of different forms available (.zip or .exe). I wonder whether that's what they have here. There is no functional difference.

The IRST driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver set. It's needed if you want to use multiple SATA drives in RAID using the Intel controller. (Some people call that fake RAID.) The drivers can also be installed on a non-RAID system. I have read claims that gives the best SATA performance, but I haven't verified that.

Of the drivers that you mention, only the MEI package supplied drivers that were missing after a Windows 10 installation (and Windows Update driver updates). That was for my X99 system. You may get different results.

bobkn, Mar 5, 2016
  7. jds63 Win User
    Shown you before this which ones from this screen capture you are posting now.

Intel Chipset are the same so either one is o.k. but i see some differences in dates in the files of the last one, so use that one.
    Each one has an ASUS setup exe file this is how you will install it, right click the execute files after extracting and select Run as Administrator.

Intel MEI is used for your chipset and motherboard originally i would use it, even though system would be fine without it.

Need an explanation on what it is if you understand.

The Intel Management Engine (Intel ME) is an isolated and protected computing
    resource (Co-processor) residing inside certain Intel chipsets. The Intel ME
    provides support for computer/IT management features. The feature set
    depends on the Intel chipset SKU.

The Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel MEI, previously known as HECI)
    is the interface between the Host and Intel ME. This interface is exposed
    to the host as a PCI device. The Intel MEI Driver is in charge of the
    communication channel between a host application and the Intel ME feature.

Each Intel ME feature (Intel ME Client) is addressed by a GUID/UUID and
    each client has its own protocol. The protocol is message-based with a
    header and payload up to 512 bytes.

Prominent usage of the Intel ME Interface is to communicate with Intel(R)
    Active Management Technology (Intel AMT) implemented in firmware running on
    the Intel ME.

Intel AMT provides the ability to manage a host remotely out-of-band (OOB)
    even when the operating system running on the host processor has crashed or
    is in a sleep state.

Some examples of Intel AMT usage are:
    - Monitoring hardware state and platform components
    - Remote power off/on (useful for green computing or overnight IT
    maintenance)
    - OS updates
    - Storage of useful platform information such as software assets
    - Built-in hardware KVM
    - Selective network isolation of Ethernet and IP protocol flows based
    on policies set by a remote management console
    - IDE device redirection from remote management console

jds63, Mar 5, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

SATA Controller drivers to be installed are marked in my screen capture, usually you must first switch to AHCI Mode in the BIOS before hand. They are ways after you can do it and even when drivers are already installed.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

Intel Controller Drivers have an execution file to install these controller drivers, but will then also install Intel Rapid Storage Technology software which you do not really need, explained by Bobkn . Also you have a way to install them in Device manager by selecting INF file when selecting to update drivers there, which may be harder to explain to you.

To avoid the Intel Rpaid Storage software, once you extract this Intel folder there will be 2 folders inside, open the Driver folder then the Disk Folder, then either 64bit or 32bit folder according to your system. Then either run the ASUSSetup64.exe or ASUSSetup.exe (for 32bit).

Asmedia drivers have an execute file, right click setup.exe and select Run as Administrator, again also a folder of the drivers that can be installed using the device manager, see Windows 10 folder inside extracted folder with 64bit and 32 bit drivers. You can just run the execute file instead.

jds63, Mar 5, 2016
  9. jds63 Win User
    Some may say this is not needed for your system to run o.k., but you will get better performance in AHCI Mode and with the correct SATA Controller drivers installed.

jds63, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Craige Win User
    Thx for your inputs.

Mate, you have been so helpful to me in understanding in detail about the drivers and I immensely thank you for that.

Craige, Mar 6, 2016
  11. Craige Win User
    Can u also advise, if I can/how to update the following drivers as well:
    1] Firmware
    2] Other Devices
    3] Processor

Craige, Mar 6, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    I believe System Firmware is part of the BIOS ( ex. UEFI Firmware), although use of Firmware will be similar according to certain devices,(example Optical Drive, SSD, etc..).
    http://www.howtogeek.com/210186/what-is-the-difference-between-bios-and-firmware/

I am not sure about updating the BIOS, sometimes if there is no improvements it may not be worth it and you are fine with one you have.

Not sure if you mentioned that you updated the BIOS already, sometimes there are risks involved with flashing a BIOS and only do it if improvements help an issue you are having or if ASUS tells you it can on say phone support.

So looks like SMS/MMS Message Access has to do with Bluetooth, above you have Bluetooth what shows there always look at the Driver Date and Version under the Driver tab by right clicking and selecting properties and compare it to ASUS support site. I can check to.

You are most welcome for the help !!

jds63, Mar 6, 2016
  13. Craige Win User

Yes - Bios is Updated already (Latest)

So you say "Firmware" is related to BIOS. I have checked Driver date in Firmware but its from 2006! - So for this what shall I update it with?

SMS/MMS - There is no driver installed for it. What shall I update this with ?

Processor - Drivers ? Never heard abt this before !

Craige, Mar 6, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    I would not worry about it may be included in Windows 10 or that was last date of change. What was BIOS you have now by date ?
    In run command Type MSINFO32 will see this info on the first screen.

Bluetooth

jds63, Mar 6, 2016
  15. jds63 Win User
    Craig i am not really familiar with System Firmware on a Laptop, you can try going to it as described shown in your pic and right click select properties click update Drivers, then select Search Automatically. I think you might be o.k. with it the way it is though. You can always question ASUS about it, free phone support.

jds63, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Mobo Drivers Update - Need Help - Similar Threads - Mobo Drivers Update

2. Need help with drivers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with drivers.: Recently i bought a new pc i built myself including a MSI Pro B550-VC Mb, a RTX 3060, and a ryzen 9 5900x but i've had issues with ethernet being unidentified and not working when it does on an older machine and i have an unknown device i do not recognize i've installed my...
  3. Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?: Dear Microsoft Teams,Good evening. I hope you all are good and have a good health.I want to ask regarding the Installation of Motherboard DriversIn the future, i want to buy Asus PRIME B550M-A, 32GB DDR4 Ram, and ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 512GB PCIe Gen4x4 - R 7200MB/S W...
  4. Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Install Mobo Driver Needed?: Dear Microsoft Teams,Good evening. I hope you all are good and have a good health.I want to ask regarding the Installation of Motherboard DriversIn the future, i want to buy Asus PRIME B550M-A, 32GB DDR4 Ram, and ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 512GB PCIe Gen4x4 - R 7200MB/S W...
  5. Need help with graphic driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with graphic driver updates: Greetings! I hope everyone is doing well. I have a small issue regarding driver updates. Last year, I bought an HP Victus laptop with an RTX 3060 6GB graphics card, running Windows 11, an Intel Core i5 processor, and 16GB of RAM.I wanted to download some good games that were...
  6. Need help with graphic driver updates

Need help with graphic driver updates: Greetings! I hope everyone is doing well. I have a small issue regarding driver updates. Last year, I bought an HP Victus laptop with an RTX 3060 6GB graphics card, running Windows 11, an Intel Core i5 processor, and 16GB of RAM.I wanted to download some good games that were...
  7. Need Help For Updating Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Help For Updating Graphics Driver: Hello! I wanted To play minecraft 1.17.1 But it saysi need to update my graphics driver. I am using Integrated graphics of almost 2gb, Open gl 4.4 is required for minecraft. I was playing 1.16.5 and it worked fine.Please Tell me how to update my driver.Thank You!...
  8. Need Help For Updating Graphics Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help For Updating Graphics Driver: Hello! I wanted To play minecraft 1.17.1 But it saysi need to update my graphics driver. I am using Integrated graphics of almost 2gb, Open gl 4.4 is required for minecraft. I was playing 1.16.5 and it worked fine.Please Tell me how to update my driver.Thank You!...
  9. Need Help For Updating Graphics Driver

10. Help with drivers needed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with drivers needed.: I was messing around with some voice changing programs, but I deleted them after a couple of minutes. However, I found that after this any external mic that I plugged into my computer only managed to get an extremely weak signal, when the Mic worked perfectly in other...