Windows 10: Modern app vs Desktop app

Discus and support Modern app vs Desktop app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all! I have just upgraded to windows 10. A quick visit in the windows store revealed that a few of the apps that I have installed already are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mx900, Feb 24, 2016.

1. mx900 Win User

Modern app vs Desktop app

Hello all! I have just upgraded to windows 10. A quick visit in the windows store revealed that a few of the apps that I have installed already are also available as modern apps (i.e. QQ, onenote etc.) which makes me wonder if there is any performance boost in using modern apps over desktop ones or vice versa? *Smile Thanks!

:)

mx900, Feb 24, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

Windows 8 and Nokia Lumia 920 music issues...

The modern interface and the desktop interface on Windows 8 have ways to connect to the phone. The modern inteface has an app and the desktop has Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 3)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

I like the desktop app.

garym123, Feb 24, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Windows Phone desktop app not showing options when Lumia 920 connected

There are two programs that can connect to the phone on Win8. One is a modern app you get from the app store and the other is a desktop program that is opened from the desktop. You are seeing the modern app. I don't like and use the desktop program.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop?signin=true

To continue the confusion they call this an app, which it is not. It is a program.

garym123, Feb 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello mx900 and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

There is no general rule of thumb on this; often the modern apps lack some of the functionality of the desktop apps but this is not always the case. I think you have to experiment and see. I have found OneNote to be good as the modern app, the Dropbox app is not so good for me as it does not sync with my desktop folders.

philc43, Feb 24, 2016
  5. I don't find the modern apps nearly as good. The VLC player modern app for example is terrible whilst the desktop app is excellent. Having had numerous issues with modern apps (mainly the native ones to Windows 10 like photos, mail, calendar) stop working for other user accounts after updates I have come to dislike them.

Modern apps/Windows store are better suited for phones/tablets and really do not suit the desktop environment. But that's just my opinion.

Scottyboy99, Feb 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the universal apps tend to offer slicker faster graphics, so if that's a relevant feature for its purpose, that would be a bias.

However, if your program handles data that would be stored on your PC, then I would opt for the desktop version.

Beware that some people do have problems with modern apps and the store. These are not executables - they use a different paradigm, so some things you can do with an 'exe' you can't with these.

dalchina, Feb 24, 2016
  7. mx900 Win User
    Thanks all for the quick support! Since no thumb up rule specified, I shall try both of them. For the time being I think I am beginning to like the onenote modern app more than the desktop one, it has a slick interface and operates fast as well! *Smile

mx900, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Modern app vs Desktop app - Similar Threads - Modern app Desktop

2. Lingering Quick Assist Store App vs Desktop App problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lingering Quick Assist Store App vs Desktop App problems: The behavior as outlined in the Install Quick Assist support article - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-quick-assist-c17479b7-a49d-4d12-938c-dbfb97c88bca is not what I experience.When I invoke the keyboard shortcut, I do not get the Already Installed it?...
  3. Lingering Quick Assist Store App vs Desktop App problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lingering Quick Assist Store App vs Desktop App problems: The behavior as outlined in the Install Quick Assist support article - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-quick-assist-c17479b7-a49d-4d12-938c-dbfb97c88bca is not what I experience.When I invoke the keyboard shortcut, I do not get the Already Installed it?...
  4. modern apps crashing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    modern apps crashing: Do you have an approach that typically resolves the issue of modern apps (store, photos, etc.) crashing instantly? start menu and settings still work. reregistering affected appx packages, sfc, and typical dism commands do not typically resolve the issue for me. this issue...
  5. Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small: Does anyone create shortcuts on the desktop to any of the modern store apps? I know how to do it. Run ... Shell:appsFolder and then right click drag onto desktop to create the shortcut. I had a few of these setup for things like Amazon Prime and Xbox app. All looking good....
  6. Modern Windows apps broken.

Modern Windows apps broken.: It all started when I tried to use the calculator. I pressed the calculator key on my keyboard but the calculator app didn't open. It just flashed on the screen. I tried again but no luck. I googled and found this. I re-registered the apps and reboot my computer. Calculator...
  7. Modern Photo App

Modern Photo App: Any way to shuffle photos in slideshow? 10327
  8. No "Modern" Apps Launching

No "Modern" Apps Launching: I'm running build 9879, and there's a pretty big issue. Whenever I try to launch any "Modern" app, the icon appears in the taskbar, and the loading screen appears for a flash of a second, then disappears. The icon stays, and when I try to click the icon it flashes again but...
  9. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.: Hi, As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet, and the other half won't. Desktop apps like Chrome, Steam, Outlook, iTunes etc. all connect to the internet fine, but any...
  10. Mobile vs. desktop apps: Performance, not parity

in Windows 10 News
    Mobile vs. desktop apps: Performance, not parity: Something is happening more often in the mobile space and it's not helping loyal app users. It seems there's a race among many developers to cram as many features into their mobile apps as possible. This is especially true for mobile apps that have desktop versions. This...