Windows 10: "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

Discus and support "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently had an odd Trojan horse and, while it seems to have been sorted, some damage has been done in it's wake. For some reason I cannot use any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CaptainBritish, Feb 16, 2017.

1. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

I recently had an odd Trojan horse and, while it seems to have been sorted, some damage has been done in it's wake.

For some reason I cannot use any Metro apps. Windows Store says there is no internet connection, Cortana says it cannot connect, Edge closes as soon as it is opened... You get the idea. Practically every Metro app is behaving like this and yet my internet connection is just fine outside of Metro apps.

I'm not sure what to do here, I've tried a few different fixes for similar problems but nothing has helped. I did recently install Malware Bytes and Panda to clean up my system and everything was working before then (besides the obvious adware) so my guess is some sort of setting has gotten swept up in the search for dangerous files?

Could anyone offer me any help/insight here? I get lonely without Cortana.

:)

CaptainBritish, Feb 16, 2017

2. App store issues after W10 upgrade

After making the upgrade to Windows 10, all of my modern apps stopped working. Even the app store doesn't work. An error message reads "This App can't Open". I attempted to use the app troubleshooter suggested in other posts but that won't work either
    it claims it "cannot run for this version of windows". Im running Windows 10, I used the troubleshooter for Windows 10. I'm so confused.

LoganBattles, Feb 16, 2017
  3. hadimassa Win User
    3rd party Java Application Cannot connect to internet (Nokia 2700 Classic)

These apps might not be compatible with your 2700 even though it's installed.

hadimassa, Feb 16, 2017
  4. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

Hi CaptainBritish

Interesting. In your title you mention other apps can access internet but Edge closes on start. What apps do work.?

First I would shut down Windows completely by holding down shift key and clicking shutdown (not restart)

If you are absolutely sure that the bugs are gone there are several troubleshooters and a reset that may help.

Start => Setting => Network and Internet.

On the right hand side scroll all the way down to bottom where you will see Network reset. This will cause you to loose your stored wireless password.

I would also run these commands commands at Command Prompt(admin). Don't enter stuff in brackets, this is what the command does.

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refresh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

To gain access to trouble shooters

Right click start, Click Control Panel, click System and Security, under Security and Maintenance tab, Trouble shoot common problems. When Window opens click on View all, over to the left in navigation pane.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 16, 2017
  5. Well, I've tried everything you suggested but nothing has made a difference. Troubleshooting doesn't detect any problems with my connection in any category, the errors seem isolated to "Metro" apps alone.

By that I mean anything that is running under the new UWP format is somehow unable to get an internet connection. Cortana, the Windows Store, Edge (which as I said before is instantly crashing) and any other "Modern UI" app. If the program is installed traditionally on Windows such as the Chrome browser I am running now there are no issues at all.

6. You could try running

sfc /scannow

from command prompt(admin) to see if it is reporting issues?

Ken

7. Well, I ran it and it said there were issues that it could not automatically fix. The log file is here if it is of any use.

8. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

Thanks. I boiled the ocean down to this.

scfdetails.txt

There were numerous errors about "Overlapping ownership of directories" and quite a few Hash mismatches. Most seemed to be repaired.

From what you sent me this looks like you've run SFC yesterday as well.

It is stated it can take multiple runs to clear. That said in this last run it cannot repair the file Tokens_tts_en-us.xml

For that same file there is an error message that the source file in the store is corrupted, Hash Mismatch.

I would recommend you run sfc /scannow one more time, just to be sure. If it says it can't fix then I would use Option 1 in this tutorial

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image

Others may have a different view on errors and repair process. In any event I would ensure that all my data is backed up off computer.

9. Those permissions errors were likely my fault, I had to do some sort of hacky workaround to get the original Cortana voice back. Regardless I've decided to just bite the bullet and format. Thanks for your help anyway.

CaptainBritish, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

1. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can. - Similar Threads - Modern apps cannot

2. Internet works but apps cannot connect to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet works but apps cannot connect to it: After leaving my computer for the last week I came back and now none of my apps can connect to the internet except for google chrome. My internet is perfect, I've tried to check a ton of different things but nothing works. My guess is the security update that was installed...
  3. Internet works but apps cannot connect to it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet works but apps cannot connect to it: After leaving my computer for the last week I came back and now none of my apps can connect to the internet except for google chrome. My internet is perfect, I've tried to check a ton of different things but nothing works. My guess is the security update that was installed...
  4. apps cannot connect to the internet

apps cannot connect to the internet: apps cannot connect to the internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-cannot-connect-to-the-internet/8a2ba37e-5d4d-475c-88aa-cf4b92be732d
  5. internet connected but apps cannot connect

internet connected but apps cannot connect: It started 3 days ago when I turned on my computer, everything seemed to be functioning properly, however once it got to starting programs like steam, origin, epic games launcher, and discord, they would all give me the same response. They all failed to go online, I began to...
  6. Cannot connect to internet apps

Cannot connect to internet apps: Hi all, for the past 36 hours I have been having problems connecting to the internet via several apps. This includes Windows Update & uTorrent. Also. I can connect to my work e-mail account via 365 in a browser, but the 'Outlook' app on my desktop won't sync, although it...
  7. No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other...

No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other...: [ATTACH]No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other multiplayer games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/no-internet-connection-error-for-multiplayer-on/e5e38f3d-7332-4b3e-8fd3-1929fe6f3778
  8. No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other...: [ATTACH]No internet connection" Error for Multiplayer on modern combat 5 and all the other multiplayer games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/no-internet-connection-error-for-multiplayer-on/e5e38f3d-7332-4b3e-8fd3-1929fe6f3778
  9. Various apps cannot connect - inc Edge/Apps, others can.

Various apps cannot connect - inc Edge/Apps, others can.: Good work, and glad you resolved your problem, I would have give up... About Simplewall... doesn't need to run all the time, just set the rules and quit, there are different ways to do it (Group policy, registry…). That's why it's dangerous to mix firewall apps. Yes,...
  10. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.: Hi, As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet, and the other half won't. Desktop apps like Chrome, Steam, Outlook, iTunes etc. all connect to the internet fine, but any...