Windows 10: Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Discus and support Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by robby12315, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Hi,

As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet, and the other half won't. Desktop apps like Chrome, Steam, Outlook, iTunes etc. all connect to the internet fine, but any of the Windows apps like Xbox, Store and (most frustratingly) Settings will not connect.

In my network and sharing centre in the control panel it says 'You are not connected to any networks' - but in the system tray, and in the settings app it shows me as connected to my home wi-fi. I am on a desktop, and using a USB wireless adapter. I don't think the adapter is the problem as I have tried it on another desktop in our house on Windows 10 and it worked fine. Curiously also, when I click 'Adapter settings' in the control panel, it shows the wifi connection.

I've tried updating the drivers for the wireless adapter, both through the Windows update and adapter website but to no avail (and as I mentioned, it seems the adapter works fine elsewhere). I've updated manually to the latest Windows 10 Pro build, i've done a DNS flush, I've tried disabling firewalls and anti-virus, I've tried disabling startup apps, I've done a clean install of Windows 10 and still am unable to fix the issue.

If anyone has any ideas that might help that would be great. I'm happy to provide any more information if people need it.

Thanks very much.

:)

robby12315, Jan 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 app store does not let me sign in to live/ hotmail or outlook account to download apps - You'll need internet for this

• Are you not able to download any apps from the stores?
    with a local account I am not able to download any apps from the store, I get a "you'll need a internet connection for that" when trying to sign into my live account.

I tried switching from a local account to a live account through the account menu, I then could download apps in the store, but still the modern UI apps have no internet connection (Weather, xbox, onenote etc.)

• Did you check with the internet connection?
    Internet connection is fine, all desktop apps (ie, edge, firefox etc.) work and can access the internet. Network Troubleshooter and app troubleshooter brought up no issues

• Are you getting any error message?
    Modern UI apps bring diffrent error messages most like, check your connection, not connected, you need to connect to the internet etc.

Regarding proposed methods 2+3 SFC and Store Chache reset do not solve the issue.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael_F_741, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Modern Apps do not open when no internet is connected?!?

Thanks Sangeeta for your reply. I have already tried the SFC command and now the also the Check Disk. SFC found and corrected a lot (strange for a new device) but Check Disk advised no further action required. As my post clearly states, it is not a file
    system error as it only happens when there is no internet connection, and it only happens with the modern photos app. The Modern photos and store apps work just fine like expected when my device is connected to the internet. The photos app will open just fine
    and continue to function as expected with an active internet connection. Even if I open the photos app (or any other) and leave it open, then disconnect the internet photos works as expected, I can view photos without any errors or use an app like I want
    but if I close the photos app and attempt to view any photo while the internet is not connected, that error comes up, same with any other app just without the error, they just don't open (yet 2 seconds before they worked fine, and will work fine once there
    is an internet connection). I can install a third party viewer and the photos will work fine, I can bring them in to Photoshop or picasa photo viewer while offline and there is no issue.

It is something to do with how the OS handles modern apps. None of them open, not even calculator when there is no internet connection. The file system is absolutely fine, as one would expect when the Surface is a new device.

This is pretty unacceptable. If you want to keep tabs on when apps are opened, though I don't want that, it will happen it should not prevent apps from opening at all.

Upon checking Event Viewer, when opening any app when the internet is disconnected this is the error it gives

Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.BackgroundTasks contract failed with error: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x803f7003.

I strongly urge this passed to some technical staff who can provide some assistance.

Michael1100, Jan 6, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Is your DNS client service running on your system .

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    • In the list of services, click DNS Client.
    • Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
    • If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
      • Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
      • In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
      • Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

lifetec, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

1. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine. - Similar Threads - Modern apps connecting

2. Desktop App does not connect to internet However web app and browser works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop App does not connect to internet However web app and browser works: Hello We have this issue whereby Windows Update, Outlook and Teams and more desktop apps are not working however I can open web outlook, web teams and browser internet. Windows Update gives this error - We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you...
  3. Desktop App does not connect to internet However web app and browser works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop App does not connect to internet However web app and browser works: Hello We have this issue whereby Windows Update, Outlook and Teams and more desktop apps are not working however I can open web outlook, web teams and browser internet. Windows Update gives this error - We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you...
  4. All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.: Just to start I was able to fix this issue for about a month by creating an entire new user on my computer. The new user had no issues connecting and signing into any Microsoft apps.I use Teams, Outlook and OneDrive for work and none of them connect. I've also tried Power...
  5. All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.

All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.: Just to start I was able to fix this issue for about a month by creating an entire new user on my computer. The new user had no issues connecting and signing into any Microsoft apps.I use Teams, Outlook and OneDrive for work and none of them connect. I've also tried Power...
  6. Internet works but apps cannot connect to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet works but apps cannot connect to it: After leaving my computer for the last week I came back and now none of my apps can connect to the internet except for google chrome. My internet is perfect, I've tried to check a ton of different things but nothing works. My guess is the security update that was installed...
  7. Internet works but apps cannot connect to it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet works but apps cannot connect to it: After leaving my computer for the last week I came back and now none of my apps can connect to the internet except for google chrome. My internet is perfect, I've tried to check a ton of different things but nothing works. My guess is the security update that was installed...
  8. apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine: apps like discord, steam, egs etc. won't connect to the internet (or sometimes work as if my connection was extremely slow) but my browser (firefox) is working fine and the connection speed is the usual. I tried resetting my router, doing a network reset and changing my dns...
  9. Modern app vs Desktop app

Modern app vs Desktop app: Hello all! I have just upgraded to windows 10. A quick visit in the windows store revealed that a few of the apps that I have installed already are also available as modern apps (i.e. QQ, onenote etc.) which makes me wonder if there is any performance boost in using modern...
  10. "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Modern" apps cannot connect to internet but all other apps can.: I recently had an odd Trojan horse and, while it seems to have been sorted, some damage has been done in it's wake. For some reason I cannot use any Metro apps. Windows Store says there is no internet connection, Cortana says it cannot connect, Edge closes as soon as it is...