Windows 10: Modify & save hosts file

Discus and support Modify & save hosts file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phrab, Feb 24, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

Modify & save hosts file

I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc.

How can I give myself (the administrator) permission to access the file & to save it in the etc. folder?
    Is there a utility that will give me control over the hosts file?

Thank you in advance!

:)

phrab, Feb 24, 2018

2. My Notepad wont save Host Files,

when i edit them in notepad and click Ctrl+S It takes it to 'Save as ' instead of saving directly, It does not modify the host files , Instead try to save i as Txt file

Thank You!

SwayamDhakal, Feb 24, 2018
  3. My Notepad wont save Host Files,

See this video tutorial. You will get your solution.

AkidulStudio, Feb 24, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Modify & save hosts file

Bluelife Hosts Editor is convenient. Easy to find. Easy to use. Dedicated, with a few extra features.
    Checkboxes let you enable and disable entries. It deals with permissions issues. Easy.

Modify & save hosts file [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 24, 2018
  5. sml156 Win User
    Notepad ++ edits it easy too. Asks to restart with admin privileges when you try to save it.

sml156, Feb 24, 2018
  6. Cliff S New Member
    No need for 3rd party software.

Download the shortcut I provided in this mini tutorial: Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Default hosts files:

For Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003

Modify & save hosts file [​IMG]
    Note There is no hashtag/number sign<#> before the last line: "127.0.0.1 localhost", on XP
    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

For Windows 10

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2018
  7. Hey guys. Read the OP's post:I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc.
    He cannot save the file ... because it's protected. He doesn't have rights.
    I discovered this problem long ago with Windows XP (or was it Win 7 ?).
    The solution is to unlock the file. You must have permission to write to the hosts file.

So ... take ownership of the file and give yourself write permission.

margrave55, Feb 24, 2018
  8. Cliff S New Member

Modify & save hosts file

I believe the problem is he's going about it wrong.
    You need to open Notepad as admin first and above all.
    Then, in/through Notepad go to hosts, to make changes.

My shortcut does all that for you.

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2018
  9. phrab Win User
    Thank you! I will try that. I've used software that you've recommended in the past & I've always been happy with it!!

phrab, Feb 24, 2018
  10. phrab Win User
    phrab, Feb 24, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
Thema:

Modify & save hosts file

1. Modify & save hosts file - Similar Threads - Modify save hosts

2. Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files created and saved on NAS can't be modified afterwards: Error: The document could not be saved. The file may be read only, or opened by another user. Please save the document with a different name. Problem: Created the document and saved it to the NAS. If I close the program that created it and then reopen the file a minute later,...
  3. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  4. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  5. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Cannot save file host

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save file host: I open file host by "run as administrator" then I add some lines to block ads on viber desktop or to get access to some web sites which have been blocked on my machine....when I save it will give this [img] and if I click yes, it will give this [img] Even I open file host...
  7. Cannot modify/save hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify/save hosts file: I give up. I have tried everything. I set all the permissions to "Allow" and I don't even remember the default settings of that. I have tried taking ownership of the file. I have tried saving it on my desktop with a different name and copying it back into the etc folder...
  8. Editing and saving the Hosts file...

Editing and saving the Hosts file...: PS i need help... I am able to edit the hosts file in "etc" folder but when i save it wants to replace the hosts file and save the file as a notepad document. I had ownership before, but i removed it hoping that will solve the issue but it didn't. What is worse is that i...
  9. Modify "Save As" Choices?

Modify "Save As" Choices?: "Save As" offers: Quick access Desktop Libraries This PC Network However, I find myself frequently navigating from This PC down to my home directory. The main question I have is: "How can I put my home directory in this list or at least in Libraries or Quick...
  10. think my hosts file got modified

think my hosts file got modified: like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with the current host...