Windows 10: Modify user account name

Discus and support Modify user account name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Sadly I need to rename my Win 10 user account as a character used in it clashes with a software program. The problem is new to this product version as... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LBD, Jul 6, 2017.

1. LBD
    LBD Win User

Modify user account name

Sadly I need to rename my Win 10 user account as a character used in it clashes with a software program. The problem is new to this product version as I have used earlier versions since 2012.
    How do I go about this since the folder name doesn't change with the user name.
    I know it could be done in the registry but I am not sure about Win 10 or the process.
    I would love some assistance.. Thankyou

:)

2. RPG17A Win User

ID or user name modify

Hi

If you mean the name that appears on the sign in screen (computer name) then open Settings>System>About- then top of page click Rename this PC and follow steps and restart to see effect.

RPG17A, Jul 6, 2017
  3. ID or user name modify

Hi Will,

You can easily change your Microsoft Account Username by following the steps below:

• Open the Start Menu.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Select Accounts > Your Account.
    You will now see the Manage my Microsoft account link. Click on it to be routed to your Microsoft account home page. You may be asked to log in again.

Under Hello, there should be an "Edit name" against your current profile name:

• Click "Edit name".
    • Write the new name you want.
    • Click Save.
    Note: This will be the same name that will be used when you send emails using this new ID. And when you restart your computer, your new name will be displayed.

IMPORTANT: Changing your Microsoft Account username is not the same as changing your Microsoft Account name. The latter is not possible. Changing the account name would mean creating a new account.

Let us know how these turned out for you.

Joanna 777, Jul 6, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Modify user account name

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2017
  5. LBD
    LBD Win User
    Thank you mrgeek for your reply. I did find the method I had used to do this years ago on Window 7.
    I have now corrected the account name and solved my problem.

1:- Created a new admin account.
    2:- Change the problem User account name
    3:- Changed the user folder name to match the new user name.
    4:- Using regedit I changed the Registry key associated with the user name.

Thanks again.

Thema:

Modify user account name

1. Modify user account name - Similar Threads - Modify user account

2. User account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account name: Good morning,the workstation I used for a colleague of mine has passed to another. My problem now is to keep order and make the PC recognizable:PC Name: PB1Username: Bern...Account name: ...@gmail.comUsually i share the online account among people of that office, while having...
  3. User account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account name: Good morning,the workstation I used for a colleague of mine has passed to another. My problem now is to keep order and make the PC recognizable:PC Name: PB1Username: Bern...Account name: ...@gmail.comUsually i share the online account among people of that office, while having...
  4. User account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Modify account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modify account name: Hi,I installed windows 11 from scratch on my Pc, and I logged with my microsoft account in the initial phase. I had no prompt for "username", and now it is a "ricca" I'm Riccardo. I actually don't like it, and i already some script based on my actual usernaname the one I had...
  6. Modify account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modify account name: Hi,I installed windows 11 from scratch on my Pc, and I logged with my microsoft account in the initial phase. I had no prompt for "username", and now it is a "ricca" I'm Riccardo. I actually don't like it, and i already some script based on my actual usernaname the one I had...
  7. Modifying User name from Chinese to English.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modifying User name from Chinese to English.: I need to install a simulator, but my system user name is Chinese characters, I need to change it to English characters, what should I do? ***Modified Title from: How to Modify System User name***...
  8. How to Modify System User Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Modify System User Name: I need to install a simulator, but my system user name is Chinese characters, I need to change it to English characters, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-modify-system-user-name/44b0ebc1-431f-4527-9d24-145c5e359787
  9. user account name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    user account name: can I remove the user account only from my pc login screen, and not anywhere else? I tried to install office & update windows 10, but my sign in screen name changed. The email accounts of 2 accounts I have are now on the PC sign in screen. There doesn't seem to be anything...
  10. Account name user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account name user name: You don't want to remove the account since it is your only one. Are you able to "Edit name" of your account online like below to change it to what you wanted instead? Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials [img]