Windows 10: Modify windows 10 partitions?

Discus and support Modify windows 10 partitions? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My win10 was upgrated from win7 where some how got 3 partitions Code: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- -------------... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by elim, Mar 26, 2018.

1. elim Win User

Modify windows 10 partitions?

My win10 was upgrated from win7 where some how got 3 partitions
    Code: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 298 GB 117 GBDISKPART> select disk 0Disk 0 is now the selected disk.DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 Primary 34 GB 101 MB Partition 3 Primary 146 GB 34 GBDISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 System Rese NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 34 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 D WorkPlace NTFS Partition 146 GB Healthy Pagefile[/quote] Is there anyway to make partition 2 and 3 logic ones inside of an extended partition and keep the system working without re-install the whole thing?

I'd like to install ubuntu at the free space after those partitions.

Thanks for your help.

:)

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Mar 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Mar 26, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Hi Elim, it would be more productive to show picture of Disk Management.

CountMike, Mar 26, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    edited diskpart output from first post: Code: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 298 GB 117 GB DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Primary 100 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 Primary 34 GB 101 MB Partition 3 Primary 146 GB 34 GB DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 System Rese NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 34 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 D WorkPlace NTFS Partition 146 GB Healthy Pagefile[/quote] It is OK to have boot partition as logical but not system (as system must be active primary partition) I believe.

6. CountMike New Member
    I'd like to strongly discourage you from mixing Linux or any other OS an a disk of that size. You could just as well make a Live Linux (Ubuntu) on a USB with persistence and work from it. LinuxLive USB Creator can help you download and install one of many distros.

CountMike, Mar 26, 2018
  7. Barman58 Win User
    I can confirm this during the Pre Beta and Beta stages of Windows 7 I had up to five working OS's working from a single System partition, some on logical drives some on Primary without issue, (apart from a little confusion on my part remembering which Beta I was in)

All Microsoft OS's since Vista have this ability to run on a Logical partition

This a less extreme example I used at one time The untitled partitions are a Linux and Linux swap file

Modify windows 10 partitions? [​IMG]

Barman58, Mar 26, 2018
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Why? The OP currently has 117GB of disk space that is unallocated and not being used for anything at all.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2018
  9. AddRAM Win User
    The OP was banned, so no sense keeping this thread open.

Maybe the entire thread can be deleted ?

AddRAM, Mar 27, 2018
  10. cytherian Win User
    Weird, I wonder why the OP got banned with only 1 post. Maybe they sent PM's to a bunch of people and complaints were filed. I've had that happen to me (meaning, a random newbie from the ether contacting me with a problem, just because it was slightly similar to a problem I had solved years ago).

About running Linux from USB... would it be a good idea to go with a Micro SD USB 3.0 memory card, that can be inserted in a dedicated SD slot? I'm wanting to get into familiarizing myself with Linux again, but I'm not all that keep about going the dual boot route as yet...

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  11. Barman58 Win User
    The OP's ban is a standard reason - they reported our registration email as spam, standard procedure is for the system to ban *Wink

Will leave the thread open as they have an opportunity to contact us and be reinstated if they wish to

Barman58, Apr 2, 2018
  12. AddRAM Win User
    You can run Linux from whatever it`ll boot from.

But as suggested, I would never mix the 2 on the same system.

I just pop in my Zorin usb stick every now and then, and it has helped me out with a few windows problems I came across in the past.

Linux takes a lot of getting use to. No big deal if you really want to put in the effort *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 3, 2018
  13. CountMike New Member

Yes, I use multiple micro and standard SD cards, thru USB adapter, that way they could also be used with other devices and take much less space that standard USB sticks.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Modify windows 10 partitions? - Similar Threads - Modify partitions

2. Zip files being created or modified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zip files being created or modified: Ok, so normally when I download a zip file, or even create one myself, it shows up as simply a ZIP file. I am then able to extract it by just right clicking and clicking extract, with no input from any other applications. Recently, however, whenever a ZIP file is created or...
  3. Zip files being created or modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Zip files being created or modified: Ok, so normally when I download a zip file, or even create one myself, it shows up as simply a ZIP file. I am then able to extract it by just right clicking and clicking extract, with no input from any other applications. Recently, however, whenever a ZIP file is created or...
  4. Constraints in Modifying External SSD Partitions: Investigating Hardware and Software...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Constraints in Modifying External SSD Partitions: Investigating Hardware and Software...: I am currently experiencing limitations in modifying the partitions on my external SSD, which is housed within a drive enclosure. Despite attempting to merge or reallocate existing partitions on the drive, I encounter an error indicating that such operations are not supported...
  5. Constraints in Modifying External SSD Partitions: Investigating Hardware and Software...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constraints in Modifying External SSD Partitions: Investigating Hardware and Software...: I am currently experiencing limitations in modifying the partitions on my external SSD, which is housed within a drive enclosure. Despite attempting to merge or reallocate existing partitions on the drive, I encounter an error indicating that such operations are not supported...
  6. Constraints in Modifying External SSD Partitions: Investigating Hardware and Software...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How Can I Modify / Replace the Contents of the Recovery Partition

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Can I Modify / Replace the Contents of the Recovery Partition: I suspect that my Recovery Partition, has in some way become corrupted. Repair Upgrade should probably re-install Recovery, but I am experiencing problems in that regard.I discovered that Defender Offline would not function on one of my Laptops. During "Configuration", the PC...
  8. GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPT HDD Cannot modify partitions/read data after enclosure change.: Windows ver. 10 20H2 19042.685 I have a Sabrent external enclosure I have been using for years as a storage device. It contains a WD Red 4TB drive. It was formatted in GPT because of the MBR's 2 TB limit. When I place the drive into a different branded external enclosure, it...
  9. Modified system reserved partition but now no boot device found error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Modified system reserved partition but now no boot device found error: I actually tried to modify the system reserved partition size so that the recent windows update can be installed without error on my hp 15ac122tu machine which is i3 5th gen. I tried to modify the size using mini partition tool by creating 500mb unallocated space and...
  10. Modify Existing Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Modify Existing Partitions: I am working on a new Asus X556U laptop with Windows 10 Home. Asus have already pre-installed the partitions (in this order) which are as follows: 260 MB (I think this is the equivalent of System Reserved in Windows 7) 744.45 GB / C drive / Operating System 499 MB /...