Windows 10: Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory

Discus and support Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Kind of a weird issue I'm running into. Whenever I connect to my network NAS via windows explorer and create/mod/delete a file or folder, it always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BlueBomber, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory

Kind of a weird issue I'm running into.

Whenever I connect to my network NAS via windows explorer and create/mod/delete a file or folder, it always kicks me back to the parent directory of the containing file/folder. If I Right Click/Create Folder, it will bump me back to the parent directory, where I then have to go back in and from there rename the newly created 'New Folder'.

This started happening when I installed Windows 10. I even did a full format / clean install;, but still the issue persists.

Could this be a driver issue with my network card?

:)

BlueBomber, Dec 1, 2015
  2. TimDRobo Win User

Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

I ran into a problem with adding mapped network drive or a mapped network location to Quick Access.

The named mapped link shortcut is not pinned ...it actually places the directory folder in Quick Access and not the shortcut link.

MAJOR PROBLEM because users are used to behavior of Favorites where you can rename the Favorites link to whatever you desire. However renaming the pinned mapped network location in Quick Access
    actually allows users to rename the directory name...modifying the directory paths to all sub-folders under that.

This is especially dangerous for shared network locations as every user trying to access this can change the directory name on the server, causing all other users links to this directory, to break the next time they try to connect. BTW this is exact scenario
    that happened to me just today. I had to go in and rename the directory in our server, back to original name to fix this...now i have to train all users to not put mapped network links in Quick Access...and hope they don't forget.

• Users should NEVER be able to change actual directory names from the Quick Access pinned locations, and should have to go to the actual file location to do this.
    • Also, These pinned location names should be shortcuts that point to the actual directory locations...this will allow users to rename the shortcut to anything they desire while not affecting the directory structure.
    Please work on a fix as soon as possible, or at least an interim work around for this, so we can prevent mapped network locations/drives from being pinned to Quick Access, so this can be avoided going forward.

TimDRobo, Dec 1, 2015
  3. How can I reset Windows 10 File History settings. It will not backup my second drive.

I am using Windows 10 File History Backup to backup my files to a network drive. I have a C:\ and D:\ drive. The majority of my data is on the D:\ drive.

All was working well - backing up the data directories on both my C:\ and D:\ drive.

I went to add some new directories on the D:\ drive to the backup set. I inadvertently added the entire D:\ drive. So, I removed the drive from the backup set. Now it will not backup any directories on the D:\ drive. I deleted and re-added the directories.
    No luck.

Is there anyway to completely reset the File History Backup settings?

LaVentanaW84Wind, Dec 1, 2015
  4. TyMeador Win User

Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory

I have this EXACT same issue. I'm on windows 10. When I edit or create a folder on a network drive, it instantly kicks me to the parent directory. it can be very tedious and annoying because you have to create a new folder (get kicked to parent directory) go back in to the directory, rename the folder (get kicked to parent directory again) and then go into the directory, and finally into the "new" folder that you just created and named. Anyone have a solution yet?

TyMeador, Apr 7, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    Don't have a solution but it seems Windows is re-indexing the drive or Folders.

Berton, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Just an FYI - I recently installed insider build 14366 and have yet to experience the issue.

Not sure what has changed, but everything now seems to be working fine!

BlueBomber, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory

1. Modifying files on network drive backs me out of working directory - Similar Threads - Modifying files network

2. Scan directory to search for files that were modified after a certain date?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Scan directory to search for files that were modified after a certain date?: I'm looking for a command-line or PowerShell script that can search for files within that directory that were modified after the date specified in the command. If this can be done within File Explorer itself it would be better too. I just don't want any 3rd party programs....
  3. Backing out of open files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backing out of open files.: I have Windows 10. When I open more than one file or sub-folder, if I close out the file I'm seeing, using the red x in the upper right corner, it doesn't take me back to the file that was opened first, it takes me back to my Start screen and I have to click the file name tab...
  4. Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?: Randomly all of a sudden, I cannot modify existing files/folders in any of the default user directories (Music, Pictures, Documents, etc.) I can create new files/folders but cannot delete, rename, move, etc. them once created or ones that already exist. Permissions show my...
  5. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  6. Can File History back up network drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can File History back up network drives?: Hello, can File History back up network drives? For example, I have a 1 TB USB drive connected to my home router, accessible by \\x.x.x.x\.... which I have mapped in Windows 10 as drive letter X. Thanks!...
  7. Directory Listing Issue on Network Drive

Directory Listing Issue on Network Drive: I have a user who suddenly can not see the contents of a shared network drive, just a single folder, all the other folders on the same server are fine. I have run 2 full AV scans (Avast / Sophos) to rule out malware The user can log into another machine and can see...
  8. File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:: I was getting errors like the ones below. Event ID: 202 Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration Event ID: 106 Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse...
  9. Network driving me to drinking!

Network driving me to drinking!: I have 3 computers: A-Win7, B-7Win and C-Win10. When all computers were Win7, everything worked great. Now I got a mess. A-Win can see and access B-Win7 and C-Win10 B-Win can see and access C-Win10 but not A-Win7 C-Win10 cannot see either B-Win7 and C-Win10...
  10. File Backup not working with a Network Drive

File Backup not working with a Network Drive: I recently set up a Homegroup on a Win10 laptop so I can see another PC on the network. That PC is running Win8.1, and I would like to use it for file backup. The devices are visible on both ends of the network and have connectivity, but when I choose to use the File Backup...