Windows 10: Modifying system files

Discus and support Modifying system files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In 7, I was able to remove the Ease Of Access & Shut Down buttons from the Logon screen by editing the authui.dll file. Change the Welcome & Shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CJW, Dec 11, 2017.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Modifying system files

In 7, I was able to remove the Ease Of Access & Shut Down buttons from the Logon screen by editing the authui.dll file. Change the Welcome & Shutting Down text by editing the winlogon.exe.mui & wininit.exe.mui files. Remove the Get Help button from Windows Explorer by editing the Shell32.dll file. Remove the text branding from the Logon screen by editing the basebrd.dll file. Change the Startup Sound by editing the imageres.dll file. And a few others.

In 10, I've changed the Startup Sound (it's now the Star Wars Cantina music), but it doesn't always play for some reason. Gladly there is no text branding that needs removing from the Logon screen. But these files (authui.dll, winlogon.exe.mui, wininit.exe.mui & Shell32.dll) are different in Windows 10. Does this mean we cannot do the same modifications as we did in 7?

:)

2. Attempt to open the Mail app

You are attempting to open a file of type 'System file' (.dll)

These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.

Richard J. Martinez, Dec 11, 2017
  3. restrict standard users from modifying system settings

how do I restrict standard users on my windows 10 desktop from changing system settings and programs etc...?

SusanLankford1, Dec 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Modifying system files

Hi, don't expect anything like the degree of flexibility in configuring Win 10 as you had in '7.

Please bear in mind that
    a. updates may replace those system files
    b. there's a major upgrade every 6 months or so when all system files are replaced.
    c. and of course you need to consider the effects of repair actions such as SFC /SCANNOW, System Restore and an in-place upgrade repair install.

You may wish to find a way of scripting these modifications if you wish to retain them, so as to readily reapply them. At least, document the steps exactly so you can readily reproduce them.

I would suggest you consider making just the absolute minimum of changes you consider necessary.

dalchina, Dec 11, 2017
Thema:

Modifying system files

1. Modifying system files - Similar Threads - Modifying system files

2. System files "Date modified" set in future

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  3. System files "Date modified" set in future

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System files "Date modified" set in future: Hi,I cannot access software tools that I need because their licensing server detects files that have the "Date modified" property set in the future, and draws the conclusion that I set the date back to extend my license. This is happening because I set the system date to be...
  4. File's 'date modified' is missing

File's 'date modified' is missing: I have a file that isn't showing the date modified on file explorer. When checking it's properties, the modified date only shows: 12:00:00 AM, no date. It has a creation date, and doesn't have previous versions to restore.How can I fix this to show the correct modified date?...
  5. Unable to modify files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to modify files: Few days ago i made a video file hidden then again made it unhidden from that all the files i download become uneditable and only readable how can i gain acees to modify all the files of system c again. i am unable to modify and files that i download my word files of system c...
  6. Unable to modify files

Unable to modify files: Few days ago i made a video file hidden then again made it unhidden from that all the files i download become uneditable and only readable how can i gain acees to modify all the files of system c again. i am unable to modify and files that i download my word files of system c...
  7. Unable to modify files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Modify System Environmental Variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify System Environmental Variables: Dear staff! I need to modify the System Environmental Variables specifically the PATH variable from my local user already set as administrator but these options are still greyed out for me, in order to setup Android Studio together with Flutter component. I already tried this...
  9. How to Modify System User Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Modify System User Name: I need to install a simulator, but my system user name is Chinese characters, I need to change it to English characters, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-modify-system-user-name/44b0ebc1-431f-4527-9d24-145c5e359787
  10. Possible to prevent system/program from changing/modifying folder/file

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to prevent system/program from changing/modifying folder/file: Is there a possibility of like for example stopping a program or system from changing a file or folder, not too harshly, just enough to make the system or program ignore it. Like for example update folders. If i changed the permissions in a way (yes I am admin of PC too), can...