Windows 10: Monitor constantly "wakes up" when display turns off

Discus and support Monitor constantly "wakes up" when display turns off in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an Intel NUC Skull Canyon (great device). However, I have one constant problem that I cannot seem to solve. Whenever the display turns off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Mystere, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Mystere Win User

Monitor constantly "wakes up" when display turns off

I have an Intel NUC Skull Canyon (great device). However, I have one constant problem that I cannot seem to solve.

Whenever the display turns off to power savings mode (Note: I have sleep disabled for the OS, but have monitor set to turn off after 15 minutes), the display will constantly (every few minutes) "wake up" and go from power savings mode to active mode, only to switch back to power savings mode moments later.

This is annoying, in that it forces me to turn off the monitor at night to sleep, and also because after a couple hours of this constantly waking up, the monitor effectively "crashes" and won't turn back on without pulling the power and recycling the monitor.

The monitor is an Auria EQ276W, connected via DisplayPort. The Skull Canyon has an Intel Iris Pro 580 Graphics chipset, and i've tried both the default Windows 10 drivers and the Intel specific ones downloaded from Intel.

This problem isn't new. It's been happening for at least a couple years, through various builds in both the Release and Insider program.

And here's the truly weird part. The issue only presents itself when Windows has been fully installed. If I install a new build, and let it finish and NOT log in (ie i haven't yet gone through the initial "Hello screen") then the problem does not occur. The monitor goes into sleep mode, and it just seems to work correctly.

However, after going through the initial Hello screen, the problem returns.

I have sleep and hibernate disabled. I am running with the High Performance power profile. And again, the OS is not waking up because sleep is disabled.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

:)

Mystere, Feb 20, 2018

2. Windows are resized and moved to upper left corner when Displayport is used and the monitor wakes up from switch off state

This apparently is a known issue when it comes to Windows, Microsoft has a knowledge based article that discusses it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-when-turning-off-displayport-monitor-on-w Their recommendation:
    Resolution One potential workaround for this problem is to avoid turning off the monitor manually via its power button. To conserve power, you can instead use the Power Options in the Windows control panel to set the monitor to be turned off automatically
    when the computer is not in use. To adjust this setting, click on the Start button, and in the "Search programs and files" text box, type "Choose when to turn off the display" and press Enter. Alternately, the problem may not occur if you attach the monitor
    to the computer using a different type of display cable, such as an HDMI or DVI cable. Consult the manuals for your computer and your monitor to determine what types of display connectors are supported.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 20, 2018
  3. Prevent mouse from waking up monitors

Hey guys,

this is a known problem with no solution yet:

When my monitors turned off (turn off display option, in control panel), they sometimes turned back on accidentally by the mouse. This is
    not sleeping mode - the monitors turned off and the computer is still working. It isn't a mouse related issue, because it has happened with every laser mouse I had. Also, after searching the web, I have seen this
    is a known problem with no solution.

As this is not sleeping mode, changing the option "Allow this device to wake the computer" in Device Manager does not help.

This is just the mouse waking up the monitors...

Is there any way to stop it from doing so, without turning off the mouse each time?

Also, if there isn't a way... don't you think it is about time for Microsoft to add an option that prevents the mouse from waking up the monitors (it really is a known issue since Vista...)

Guy Rosenmann, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

I'm not sure what the deal is with that but, it's been commented on quite a bit.
    Must be a Windows 10 'background activity' thing, cuz I've got the nircmd 'Turn off Displays' thing installed on both W10 and W7; in W7 the displays stay off, in W10 they always turn back on! *Confused

Edwin, Feb 20, 2018
  5. Mystere Win User
    As I said, the display turns off again almost instantly. It's like it wakes up, realizes it's supposed to be asleep and goes back to sleep again. It does this every few minutes (5-10).

Mystere, Feb 20, 2018
  6. You can get a power trace by opening an admin CMD and doing:

Code: powercfg /energy /trace /d c:\temp /duration 120[/quote] Replacing C:\temp with a folder of choice (must exist already) and 120 with the duration you want to trace in seconds. Keep track of the time(s) that the monitor comes on.

This will create an .etl file you can open in Windows Performance Analyzer. Look at Device Dstate around the times the monitor turned on and see if there are any D-state transitions from your display.

Monitor constantly "wakes up" when display turns off [​IMG]

This will at least tell you if Windows is responsible for the screen turning on or if it's something from the hardware.

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor constantly "wakes up" when display turns off - Similar Threads - Monitor constantly wakes

2. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  3. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  4. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  5. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  6. Multiple monitors screwing up when I turn one display off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple monitors screwing up when I turn one display off: I have a 3 monitor setup, I keep having a problem where I will setup my backgrounds for the monitors but when I turn one off the images will shift instead of being dedicated to just one monitor. I have used display fusion, and a couple others but they all have the same issue....
  7. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  8. Monitor/display will not turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor/display will not turn off: Hello everyone. Using the same settings and programs as in my 8.1 installation. Nothing funny, or game-related running in the background (also tried disabling everything possible). The problem is that the monitor will not turn off, either from the Power/Display power-off...
  9. Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on: Hi guys, I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI cable as a dual monitor set up or just to use as my default screen when watching movies. When I plug in my Dell monitor...
  10. Turn off/ Wake up problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off/ Wake up problems: Hello, everybody! It's me again.. I have some problems and I would be happy if someone can help me. (Feeling so so so stupid..) Problems: 1.I find fbl_impressive (build 10049) when I am looking for updates but an error is showed - 0x80246017 *Sleepy (I know build 10049 is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Monitor constantly wakes up when display turns off