Windows 10: Monitor detected even if turned off

Discus and support Monitor detected even if turned off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have external monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI-HDMI cable. I extend Windows 10 desktop to external monitor (making external monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jussi P., Aug 21, 2018.

1. Jussi P. Win User

Monitor detected even if turned off

Hi,

I have external monitor connected to my laptop via HDMI-HDMI cable. I extend Windows 10 desktop to external monitor (making external monitor primary). Now if I turn off external monitor Windows 10 _used_ to detect this, after which it stopped display extension, and made laptop monitor primary. Lately this is no longer the case: whenever I have external monitor HDMI cable connected to laptop, and even if the monitor is turned off, Windows detects it and extends display. This is rather inconvenient.

Is this possibly some new(ish) feature in Windows? If yes, is there a way to modify the behavior so that when external monitor is turned off, it is not considered an active monitor by Windows 10? I'm seeing this behavior on my laptop (Intel UHD 620 GFX) with one external monitor, but also on desktop (AMD Radeon RX480) that has two displays connected.

:)

Jussi P., Aug 21, 2018

2. Second monitor not detected

Hello,

May we know if you've already tried the suggestion provided by Robert Aldwinckle on forums on this

thread
    ?

If Windows can't detect your second monitor, it's usually a driver problem. It could be due to your video driver being outdated, incorrect or faulty. It's also possible that your monitor driver is causing the problem.

Since the issue occurred after the latest update, it's possible that the video or monitor drivers require an update. Try looking for the updated version of the drivers on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If the issue persists, try to roll back the drivers to the last good configuration. To do that, you may follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Right-click your device driver, select Properties, and browse to the
      Driver tab.
    • Press the Roll Back Driver option if available, and Windows 10 will begin the process.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Aug 21, 2018
  3. "monitor off" detection moving windows to turned off monitors

I have been pulling my hair out for months with my Triple 4K setup because every time the computer goes to sleep, the monitors get screwed up. I finally found a program that allows you to manually override EDID info for your displays and force your desired
    resolution so the screens will always be setup correctly when you turn on the computer. The program is also free.

Check out Custom Resolution Utility

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Once you run it:

• Disable all of the default "Established Resolutions"
    • Delete all of the default "Detailed Resolutions"
    • Delete all of the default "Standard Resolutions"
    • Add a new "Detailed Resolution"
    • Under new "Detailed Resolution" I left all of the settings the same except for the active horizontal and vertical pixel dimensions, which is obviously where you set your desired screen resolution.
    • Then repeat steps 1-5 for each monitor.
    • Once all monitors are configured properly, close CRU and run the restart.exe or restart64.exe included with CRU and you should be good to go!

I hope this helps other folks who are having similar issues to me with Windows 10 monitor auto detection and displayport connections.

RagingNomad, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Windows 10 - Not Detecting Second Monitor

Hi Aidan,

To help resolve this issue, you can follow the steps below:

• Remove the connector at the monitor end.
    • Turn your computer off.
    • Reboot and let it do it's "housekeeping" for 2-3 minutes.
    • Plug the cable in the monitor and turn the monitor on.
    • If it does not come back up, check with the maker of your system/display card for any updated Windows 10 drivers.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to reach out and we'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor detected even if turned off - Similar Threads - Monitor detected turned

2. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot I did nothing unusual, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see...
  3. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image If i...
  4. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image If i...
  5. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image It only...
  6. Defender detects threats even after turning it off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender detects threats even after turning it off: I turned it off using the settings menu, but it's still somehow keeps running. submitted by /u/slarrtibarrtfasst [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/xglspn/defender_detects_threats_even_after_turning_it_off/
  7. How to turn off monitor auto detection?

How to turn off monitor auto detection?: As in, when turning a monitor off, the computer doesn't automatically notice that and change things. submitted by /u/lemonvan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jxlrff/how_to_turn_off_monitor_auto_detection/
  8. do not autodetect monitors even if they are turned off

do not autodetect monitors even if they are turned off: Got 3 hooked up and sometimes it detects monitors in different orders and it messes up my wallpapers, also i want to be able to just flip a switch on a multicontact bar and switch em all off, is there a way to make windows just stop reconfiguring everything based on the...
  9. PC not detecting when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    PC not detecting when monitor turns off: I have my PC connected to a TCL 4K TV via an Active HDMI cable. Unlike my Mac, which usually detects when an external monitor is off and brings windows to the active display, my PC does not know the difference between when the TV is on or off. So, whenever I want to turn it...
  10. PC not detecting when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Support
    PC not detecting when monitor turns off: I have my PC connected to a TCL 4K TV via an Active HDMI cable. Unlike my Mac, which usually detects when an external monitor is off and brings windows to the active display, my PC does not know the difference between when the TV is on or off. So, whenever I want to turn it...