Windows 10: Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer?

Discus and support Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My tower computer just updated but it shut down when the update was completed. Now when I turn it on it boots up but the monitor never came on. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mikecox, Feb 16, 2018.

1. mikecox Win User

Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer?

My tower computer just updated but it shut down when the update was completed. Now when I turn it on it boots up but the monitor never came on.

When I power the monitor off and on again, the power light comes on for a few seconds then goes out, but the monitor remains black.

It is possible that this has something to do with the update; since it happened right after an update, or could it be that my 22", 1680x1050, UltrContrast, Gateway monitor has suddenly died?

:)

mikecox, Feb 16, 2018

2. Extended monitor does not come up on boot or coming out of sleep mode most of the time

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This might occur when some of the setting got corrupted.

I suggest you to reconfigure the extended monitor and check if it helps.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 16, 2018
  3. bass_gas Win User
    Extended monitor does not come up on boot or coming out of sleep mode most of the time

Extended monitor does not come up on boot or coming out of sleep mode most of the time. Upon powering the extended monitor off and on several times it will come up. Display card is Nvidia GEForce 730. Worked fine with W7 but have had this problem ever
    since loading W10. Main monitor works fine all the time.

bass_gas, Feb 16, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

Beside possibility of monitor dying, could only be drivers, see if you can boot in safe mode.

CountMike, Feb 16, 2018
  5. mikecox Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Safe Mode is a good idea but how is it possible to boot into Safe Mode if I can't see the options on the monitor?

I reviewed the many ways to boot into safe mode and all required the user to choose something from the screen. There was an F8, or shift-F8, option but that also required the user to make a choice.

I tried interrupting to boot process x3 then letting the machine boot into Repair mode, but that too required user input to get into Safe mode.

btw When I said the power light flashed it was not after pressing it, it was after switching the power supply to the monitor off.

mikecox, Feb 16, 2018
  6. no, is the update, try changing the input cable, I mean, I was using the HDMI then I had to change to DVI and that solved it

Christoph34, Feb 17, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    Shut it down forcefully (hold start button at least 4 seconds) after it seems to boot but no picture. after second time you should get a screen with all kinds of options for safe mode or restore/fix problems.

CountMike, Feb 17, 2018
  8. mikecox Win User

No one seems to believe that this is a computer issue, despite the fact that it occurred right after an update, so I'm going to go with a failing monitor. I'll take it in for testing and if it's the monitor I'll just have to buy a new one.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

mikecox, Feb 17, 2018
  9. mikecox Win User
    I pulled my computer out of my setup, blew it out and hooked it up on a table. When I started it this time the monitor lit up!

It came on as soon as I turned the computer on but the screen is white. The power button is not working, unlike before. I don't know what changed but it's responding to the computer booting so that encouraging. But the question remains, computer or monitor.

Is there any way verify the computer output signal?

I suppose the easiest thing to do is simply take the monitor in for a checkup.

mikecox, Feb 18, 2018
  10. CountMike New Member
    Changing parts (temporarily) was always best way for troubleshooting.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor does not come on after an update. Monitor or Computer? - Similar Threads - Monitor does update

2. Sound coming out of monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound coming out of monitor: I have got my headphones connected correctly. TeamSpeak is working correctly. I hear it thru my headphones and other can hear my mic. but the other sound, all the other sound is coming from my monitor....
  3. Sound coming out of monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound coming out of monitor: I have got my headphones connected correctly. TeamSpeak is working correctly. I hear it thru my headphones and other can hear my mic. but the other sound, all the other sound is coming from my monitor....
  4. No sound coming from monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No sound coming from monitor: Hello! I’m having trouble getting sound coming from my monitor. I have an elgato hd60 installed in my computer and every time I try to switch the playback device to my monitor, it instantly switches back to my elgato. Please help submitted by /u/Steely24 [link] [comments]...
  5. The computer turns on but the monitor does not.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    The computer turns on but the monitor does not.: When I press the start key on the computer, it starts working, but the monitor also remains off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-computer-turns-on-but-the-monitor-does-not/24347e1e-18b2-4d12-a809-f4cb7feebe7f
  6. computer monitoring

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer monitoring: I have a question about monitoring. I have a pc that I share with an employee. I have admin privileges and she does not. I am afraid she is not performing her daily tasks as her productivity is dropping. Is it possible for me to identify where she is spending her time when...
  7. Monitor wont come on after sleep / hybernate

Monitor wont come on after sleep / hybernate: I just built a PC and installed Windows 10 from DVD. I installed all drivers and everything seems to work OK. However, when windows shuts down the display or goes into sleep mode, the monitor wont come back on. I tab the (USB) keyboard and try the (USB) mouse but nothing. I...
  8. Dual Monitors : Second monitor won't come back on

Dual Monitors : Second monitor won't come back on: I am running Windows 10 in a dual monitor setup. Main monitor (LG) is connected with DisplayPort cable and is at it's naitive 4k resolution, second monitor (ASUS) is connected via HDMI at also at it's native resolution 2560x1440. Both monitors go to sleep properly...
  9. Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...

Laptop with Docking Station and Multiple Monitors - Laptop Screen does not come back after...: When the power - screen timeout is reached all of my screens turn off. This is expected, and I have this enabled even when plugged in so that I can leave my computer on at night (sometimes with a long job running), without creating unnecessary glow in the bedroom or study....
  10. Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update: My Dell Inspiron Desktop with Win 10 recently installed 2 updates: Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213647) and 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676). Following Cumulative Update...