Windows 10: Monitor doesn't turn off on its own, and PC won't go to sleep

Discus and support Monitor doesn't turn off on its own, and PC won't go to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a windows 10 Desktop that I need help with. Ever since around a week ago, my screen does not turn off automatically, nor does it go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kakkun, Apr 22, 2017.

1. kakkun Win User

Monitor doesn't turn off on its own, and PC won't go to sleep

I've got a windows 10 Desktop that I need help with.

Ever since around a week ago, my screen does not turn off automatically, nor does it go to sleep when I leave it for a while (like overnight)
    It might be ever since the Creator's Update, but I can't say for sure.

Here's what I've tried so far:
    Built-in Power Troubleshooter
    I tried running the built-in troubleshooting for power issues, but found nothing.

Powercfg
    I tried a variety of things in the command prompt.
    Initially, I heard that "powercfg -requests" would tell you what was keeping your PC from sleeping. This told me that the High Definition Audio Device was currently in use, even though nothing was playing. I tried running "powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "High Definition Audio Device" SYSTEM", in order to ignore that driver when putting the pc to sleep, but the audio driver kept coming back up, and my system never successfully went to sleep on its own.

I don't know what else I can try. I've attached the output from "powercfg -energy" as reference, but please let me know if there's any other piece of information you need.

Thanks!

:)

kakkun, Apr 22, 2017

2. PC won't go to sleep mode after Upgrading SSD to Windows 10

Old title: Windows 10 / SSD won't idle

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded to an SSD with Windows 8, my computer wouldn't go to sleep on its own. Now with Windows 10, the computer won't even idle, go to screensaver mode, lock itself, or sleep either.

I tried reverting my power options to defaults, but it didn't help. I have turn off the monitor after 30 minutes, which doesn't work, and sleep after 45 minutes, and that doesn't work either.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Oriel Shaked, Apr 22, 2017
  3. Stan8448 Win User
    PC Running Windows 10 Home Won't Stay Asleep/Hibernated

Since upgrading to Windows 10, my PC will not stay asleep for more than a couple minutes at most (in many cases, a matter of seconds). The PC refuses to go to sleep (or even turn off the monitor before that) on its own after the specified interval, even
    with hybrid sleep off, multimedia set to allow sleep, and all other advanced power settings set to their maximum power-saving settings, so this issue is occurring in spite of deliberately telling the computer to go to sleep. The same is true for hibernation.

Using Windows 8.1 and the default "balanced" power plan settings, sleep had worked perfectly prior to the upgrade.

Stan8448, Apr 22, 2017
  4. Monitor doesn't turn off on its own, and PC won't go to sleep

Hi kakkun.

First I would check your Windows update history and see if any drivers were delivered in last week. (Since issue started).

I saw from your Energy report your running an Asus device, I'm guessing a custom built.

Myself I would be checking drivers and ensuring where Asus has provided drivers that they are loaded and not some generic drivers, particularly the Audio driver as you mentioned that one holding system. This may mean down grading some drivers.

Before working on drivers have a restore point and for good measure an Image. (recommend Macrium Reflect). You also want to boot media on hand. (Tested)

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 22, 2017
  5. BKnight Win User
    If you have an Nvidia card it is a known issue with the latest drivers (381.65 and hotfix 381.78)

BKnight, Apr 22, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    It depends also on the monitor. Some will still receive a keep alive IRQ from the APU/CPU/GPU, if not a external card with a APU/GPU. Check your monitor settings to see if it is the culprit. If you are not using the monitor or computer for long periods, you need to just shut them down to keep from having them get hit with a transient voltage spike that if you have a poor electrical ground to where you use the computer and monitor, it can use the ground on the HDMI or RGB cable to fry either the computer and/or monitor.

bro67, Apr 23, 2017
  7. Redbatman Win User
    Can you put it to sleep manually?

Redbatman, Apr 23, 2017
  8. kakkun Win User

Hi all, thanks for all the help.

I checked the drivers. Unfortunately, I could not find out what had been installed recently, as the update history had been reset when the Creator's Update was installed. I did try installing the drivers from Asus, but all of them were over a year old, and did nothing to fix my issue.

I also checked my monitor (a Dell U2715H), but found no settings about that.

I can put the computer to sleep manually, so that's what I've been doing for the past couple days or so.

My Audio driver is now gone from the powercfg -requests output, and all of the sections are showing "none". However, my PC still does not go to sleep on its own.

Is there anything else I might be able to try?

kakkun, Apr 23, 2017
  9. Redbatman Win User
    Disable Hybrid Sleep and wakeup timers in Advanced settings on your powerplan settings

Redbatman, Apr 23, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    My monitor is not going to sleep either. Installed the latest nVidia drivers, 381.89 and that had no affect. Did not go to sleep with 381.65 either.

Goes to sleep fine with W7, but not W10 CU

Same nvidia drivers on 7 and 10

I will keep working on it.

I do not get the "No signal" on W10, the screen saver stops like normal, but the monitor does not go to sleep.

I re imaged back to the AU and all is well.

I have it set to defer feature updates for the time being.

I liked the AU better anyway *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 25, 2017
  11. heberrc Win User
    I started having the same problem recently. None of the remedies I have found on the Web made any difference. Any new suggestions?

heberrc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor doesn't turn off on its own, and PC won't go to sleep - Similar Threads - Monitor doesn't turn

2. PC turns off and on on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turns off and on on its own: My PC has had this problem for a while. It happens to shut down without any prior warning or struggles, and turns right back on as if i had manually restarted it. For example, today, i was browsing the internet, and then, out of the blue, my screen and case LEDs went dark for...
  3. PC turns off and on on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turns off and on on its own: My PC has had this problem for a while. It happens to shut down without any prior warning or struggles, and turns right back on as if i had manually restarted it. For example, today, i was browsing the internet, and then, out of the blue, my screen and case LEDs went dark for...
  4. PC turns off and on on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. pc turning off on its own

in Windows 10 Customization
    pc turning off on its own: hello my pc turned off on his own ,when i turned it on again crashed again,then i turned it on again but this time i waited for all the startup application to open i turned off blitz"software for a game "and discord and then i try to open the game i played "lol or league of...
  6. pc turning off on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc turning off on its own: hello my pc turned off on his own ,when i turned it on again crashed again,then i turned it on again but this time i waited for all the startup application to open i turned off blitz"software for a game "and discord and then i try to open the game i played "lol or league of...
  7. pc turning off on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PC won't enter sleep mode on its own:

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't enter sleep mode on its own:: Hi. As of a few days ago my HP desktop running Windows 10 2004 stopped entering sleep mode. The computer is only about 3 years old or so. I have never encountered this problem before. I can put it to sleep manually and it will stay asleep until I wake it or a scheduled scan...
  9. PC Not Going to Sleep Properly? (Display turns off but PC doesn't)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Not Going to Sleep Properly? (Display turns off but PC doesn't): Hi, so as of a few days ago, my PC stopped sleeping properly. I've tried changing power plans / running the "powercfg -requests" command and nothing's there. What is happening is when I put the PC to sleep manually, or after the allocated time, my display will turn off but...
  10. PC won't turn off or go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won't turn off or go to sleep: So couple days ago I got this problem where my PC won't turn off or go to sleep, when I click it just says "Shuting Down" and suddenly "Welcome". I tried Disk Checkup and all but I couldn't fix this issue. And I have the newest update installed....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. even my pc is turned off my monitor wont go to sleep

2. Windows doesnt recginze monitor if its turned off