Windows 10: Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

Discus and support Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, First of all, I can't remember when and how this started, but definitely after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. So, my screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tempname, Aug 25, 2015.

1. tempname Win User

Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

Hello,

First of all, I can't remember when and how this started, but definitely after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro.

So, my screen (Acer LCD, connected to GTX 560 with 1 meter DVI cable) started going black (power light on, background light completely off) when I watched a video that had lot of dark on it. Happens in some games as well where the cut scenes change.

I tested it by full screening a plain black image and the screen went to sleep, mouse cursor dissapeared.
    Moving the mouse does not wake up the screen
    , only when i press Win key to bring up some color to the screen. (the task bar seems to be enough to wake the screen.)

I have checked all the power settings and turned off all the sleep settings, 'Turn off display after' is set to 'Never'
    'Multimedia settings' are set to ' Prevent idling ' and 'Optimize video quality'

What is happening?

Edit: Nvidia driver version is 355.60

:)

tempname, Aug 25, 2015
  2. Mike3180 Win User

Monitor will not wake up

After windows 10 update when Asus Monitor goes to sleep screen will stay black until i toggle off and on. Going to sleep mode causes some issue to shut the signal off to the monitor???

Mike3180, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Update Installed & Now No Signal to Monitor

What im referring to as “no signal” is that when i turn my monitor on, it scans for a signal from the CPU & says No Signal. The monitor screen then stays black & goes to sleep.

sameredith, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

I would start with some troubleshooting. First I would boot into safe mode and see if it does it. If doesn't, you have narrowed down the problem somewhat. If it does, then boot into a completely different operating system (such as a Live Linux disc) and see if it still does it. Another thing you could try is a different monitor if you have one, and/or a different video card if you have one.

MaximRecoil, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Lukas Win User
    Check DVI cable, reconnect it. If it still appears. Try switch DVI to VGA. You graphic card don't have VGA connector, so try lend from friend DVI/VGA adapter.
    Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black. [​IMG]

If problem still appears try to use another DVI cable to be sure it's not cable problem.
    Try to use your monitor with other PC/Laptop if it works. If it's fine it's not monitor fault.
    Try to change cable, if problem still the same, it's not cable fault nether monitor.
    Try to reinstall graphic card with NVIDIA/AMD Uninstaller from here http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html
    If problem still appears reply. It may be graphic card issue.

Lukas, Aug 25, 2015
  6. Just wanted to echo that I've been having this exact same issue since upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. My monitor is an ASUS, connected to NVidia GTX 680 by a 3-foot DVI cable. I haven't found a solution yet, if you find one on another site would appreciate an update here.

My quick debugging
    Issue occurs with other DVI cables
    Issue does not occur when monitor is connected to another computer
    Have not tried a DVI-VGA switch
    Nvidia drivers are up to date, I keep them current with the GeForce experience tool

It really appears to be an OS issue to me, though I don't see where in Win 10 to configure anything related

Thisisaname, Aug 29, 2015
  7. tempname Win User
    Thanks for all the replies.

I tried HDMI connection but the level of black was so bad the monitor didn't go to sleep.
    I messed with the monitor menu settings and noticed I had ASUS ASCR (Asus Smart Contrast Ratio) set ON and turning that OFF, fixed my monitor sleep issue on DVI connection (black levels still being as before)

tempname, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

That fixed it for me as well, thanks!

Thisisaname, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

1. Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black. - Similar Threads - Monitor goes sleep

2. My screen goes black on all monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My screen goes black on all monitors: HiI have 1 tv and 2 monitors for my7 desktop and when ever I am playing a game can be any game, but all of my monitors plus tv goes black for a couple of seconds then my screen is back but depending on the game it crashes, I have checked if my drivers is up to date anbd they...
  3. Monitor Goes Black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Goes Black: Hey, My current setup is an Acer Laptop with windows 10 connected to an acer monitor and an OLD Lenovo MonitorMy laptop to Acer Monitor works perfect. However, my old Lenovo monitor screen is black and immediately goes into power saving mode when connected to my laptopI...
  4. Monitor goes to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor goes to sleep: Since I bought a omen 27i I've been having a little problem, when I open certain games such as Trove, Unturned, Muck and a lot more my monitor screen goes black and the monitor goes to sleep. When I press windows or esc or something to close or minimize the app the monitor...
  5. Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen monitor goes to sleep when computer turned on: I have an HP monitor. Lately, when I turn on my computer the monitor is black, then shows "Monitor going to sleep" and never wakes up. I have the settings for the monitor to 'never' go to sleep, however, something's going on that keeps doing it. I don't see anything else...
  6. MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP: While working on the computer, it suddenly shut down and went into sleep mode. I cannot "wake it" back up. I have checked all connections and tried to power down completely. when I attempt to wake it up manually, it does through its startup routine and then goes back to...
  7. Monitor goes black

Monitor goes black: My external monitor loses connection with my laptop 3-4 times per week. First it goes to blue screen with no connection message, then it goes black. Sometimes the image returns in 1-3 minutes, often never without ctl-alt-del then signing in to my account. Is this a computer...
  8. W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in

W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in: In an attempt to connect to a Samsung external monitor the laptop screen goes black when HDMI cable is plugged in. I have checked the settings from the notifications-project - panel is set to laptop only. Is is perhaps stuck to monitor only in another place?...
  9. Monitor goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor goes to sleep: I have gone into settings and set Scree to Never and Sleep to Never, so why is it doing this? I have even gone to Balanced which is selected and that is never also. What part of don't switch of does windows not understand? 120663
  10. monitor is blinking and screen goes black

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor is blinking and screen goes black: I got a weird issue a few days ago. I booted my computer, and my monitor was black. Everything was connected. I took the graphics card out and connected it again. The monitor then blinks, you can see the desktop for about one second, then the screen goes black, then it shows...