Windows 10: Monitor randomly turning on

Discus and support Monitor randomly turning on in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've only had this issue since installing Win10, did not have this issue with 7 or 8. I have the monitor set to turn off either after 10 minutes of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Akaihiryuu, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Monitor randomly turning on

I've only had this issue since installing Win10, did not have this issue with 7 or 8. I have the monitor set to turn off either after 10 minutes of idle, or 1 minute after locking the computer. With 7 and 8, it stayed off until I woke it with the keyboard or mouse. With 10, it's randomly turning on on its own (for about 1 minute, then turns off again).

Powercfg -lastwake shows nothing. I checked event viewer, nothing in either system or application. HOWEVER, if I go to security, there are "Microsoft Windows security aduditing" entries that match EXACTLY the times that the monitor turned on. Is there anything I can do about this? Last night it pissed me off so much that I just yanked the power cord out of the computer.

:)

Akaihiryuu, Jul 31, 2015
  2. NaturalAC Win User

How do I get rid of Microsoft Visual C + + Runtime Library?

Ever since doing that my monitor randomly turns a little black. :/

NaturalAC, Jul 31, 2015
  3. icc color profile resetting in Win 10

Same problem. Color profile stops working randomly when i turn on second monitor or just whenever monitor settings are changed.

JonasSelling, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Monitor randomly turning on

Go to both your mouse and network adapter properties in device manager, under the Power Management tab uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"; use your keyboard to wake from sleep.

fracking4oil, Jul 31, 2015
  5. I don't actually have the computer set to sleep though - just turn the monitor off. Also, I use a cordless mouse, and I physically turn the power to the mouse off when I set the monitor to turn off, so there's no way it could be the mouse.

Akaihiryuu, Jul 31, 2015
  6. No luck with any of that, it still randomly turns on. I believe I have narrowed it down to svchost.exe, however, as I am getting this entry in event viewer under security whenever it happens.

A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.

This event is generated when a process attempts to log on an account by explicitly specifying that account’s credentials. This most commonly occurs in batch-type configurations such as scheduled tasks, or when using the RUNAS command.

This is a critical issue for me. Oh well, I guess I'll continue to just yank the power cord at night when it irritates me.

Akaihiryuu, Jul 31, 2015
  7. Update: I MAY have just fixed it by going into power options and setting wake timers to only allow important wake timers. It will take overnight to fully test it but it may have been that which means it's probably some sort of scheduled task.

Akaihiryuu, Jul 31, 2015
  8. msoucy Win User

Monitor randomly turning on

I just started seeing this over this past week (I installed Windows 10 I think over this past weekend as an update over Win7 - can't think I ever saw it happen). I also just turn monitor off via power button when done using system. It is on 24x7 and found it disturbing...checked my doors (lol) and all secure. So I went and turned off the LAN and Mouse options mentioned above and will see what happens tomorrow morning when I wake up. But it just started doing it, i.e. today I believe was day 3 of it happening and windows 10 only been installed since saturday or sunday, so that adds up....bizarre to say the least.

Will report back if it still is happening.

Mike

msoucy, Aug 26, 2015
  9. Since I made that change to power options, mine hasn't done that again. I still never found out what it was because there were no scheduled tasks active. I put a box over my keyboard at night to prevent unwanted keypressings too (the joy of having cats). I also have an X360 controller hooked up, and if the buttons or sticks on that are hit it will turn the monitor on, but the few times this happened there weren't any cats near the keyboard or monitor (they were all asleep). And I know I didn't hit anything.

But oh well, it seems to be fixed now.

Akaihiryuu, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Monitor randomly turning on

1. Monitor randomly turning on - Similar Threads - Monitor randomly turning

2. at random, monitor turns black and computer crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    at random, monitor turns black and computer crashes: At seemingly random moments, my monitor will suddenly turn black, and then my computer will crash and automatically restart. Sometimes I will hear audio from programs when the screen turns black, other times the speakers will make a buzzing noise. Sometimes my PC will go a...
  3. at random, monitor turns black and computer crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    at random, monitor turns black and computer crashes: At seemingly random moments, my monitor will suddenly turn black, and then my computer will crash and automatically restart. Sometimes I will hear audio from programs when the screen turns black, other times the speakers will make a buzzing noise. Sometimes my PC will go a...
  4. Monitor's Turn Off Randomly - HELP!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor's Turn Off Randomly - HELP!: HelloRecently I have been experiencing an issue where both my monitors turn off randomly usually when I'm dragging and dropping image/video/audio files into Premier pro and almost puts the PC into sleep mode where I have to wiggle the mouse or the screens come back on after a...
  5. Monitor's Turn Off Randomly - HELP!

Monitor's Turn Off Randomly - HELP!: HelloRecently I have been experiencing an issue where both my monitors turn off randomly usually when I'm dragging and dropping image/video/audio files into Premier pro and almost puts the PC into sleep mode where I have to wiggle the mouse or the screens come back on after a...
  6. Monitor turning on and off randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turning on and off randomly: Ive got 2 monitors, and a gpu thats about a year old, but every so often, the right monitor goes blank and comes back on. This is mostly shown during games, but sometimes during normal use aswell. Sometimes the monitor just completely goes off, but still is registered as I...
  7. Monitor turning on and off randomly

Monitor turning on and off randomly: Ive got 2 monitors, and a gpu thats about a year old, but every so often, the right monitor goes blank and comes back on. This is mostly shown during games, but sometimes during normal use aswell. Sometimes the monitor just completely goes off, but still is registered as I...
  8. my monitor turns off randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my monitor turns off randomly: https://www.facebook.com/trollensten/videos/1035799690504941/?notif_id=1631708527745656&notif_t=video_processed&ref=notif this is what it does everytime randomly.i managed to record it since when it does this it shows a sideways line on the screen and then suddenly after a...
  9. Monitor turns off randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns off randomly: My monitor turns off randomly. It comes back on after I restart the computer. Today it took 4 tries. Also, sometimes the screen randomly becomes magnified. Help?! Thank you in advance...
  10. [URGENT] Monitor randomly keeps turning off...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    [URGENT] Monitor randomly keeps turning off...: Hey there, when I'm watching YouTube videos or something my monitor would randomly switch off and would display the little DVI text on the right side of the corner. My computer would be running still, but my video would have stopped and everything. There's no way to turn it...