Windows 10: Monitor/Screen timeout not applying after hibernation

Discus and support Monitor/Screen timeout not applying after hibernation in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have set the screen timeout to go off after 20 minutes and it works fine, but when I hibernate my PC then power on again, the screen timeout... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by eXtremeDevil, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Monitor/Screen timeout not applying after hibernation

Hello, I have set the screen timeout to go off after 20 minutes and it works fine, but when I hibernate my PC then power on again, the screen timeout does not work and the screen stays on forever.

I don't know if it's a Windows problem or my system's fault. I don't care if I have to set a task to run after hibernation to recover this functionality, but I haven't found any workaround yet.

Is this normal behaviour? Is there a workaround I can check?

Thanks.

I'm on Win10 1709 x64, but I've had this problem since the first version of 10, not only the last service pack.

:)

eXtremeDevil, Jan 15, 2018

2. Update messed up my computer

Let me be clearer:

What I want:

-when my computer sleeps/hibernates, I want it to go to the lock screen and ask for my password

-when my computer turns the screen off (aka 'blank screen'), I want it to turn the screen on upon interaction, just as it was, just like when you press the power button on a desktop screen/monitor

What I have:

-whenever my screen is turned off, be it for screen timeout or command, Windows asks for my password, even if the computer is not sleeping/hibernating, just with the screen turned off.

SauloOttoni, Jan 15, 2018
  3. lucvdv Win User
    Windows 10 powers off at logon screen while backup is running

Sorry to have to follow up to myself, but I just noticed there is a difference (and this result makes it even less comprehensible).

First I only had this in the before-job script:

powercfg -x standby-timeout-ac 0

The system would still go to sleep after only 3 minutes.

After adding the next three lines, that seems to have changed to 20 minutes, at least for one run (it's only been tested once yet, but it
    still failed in the middle of a backup).

powercfg -x standby-timeout-dc 0

powercfg -x hibernate-timeout-ac 0

powercfg -x hibernate-timeout-dc 0

Hibernation had been disabled through "powercfg /h off" all along, but I added those last two lines in case it was still using the timeouts and falling back from hibernation to standby when they were reached.

lucvdv, Jan 15, 2018
Thema:

Monitor/Screen timeout not applying after hibernation

1. Monitor/Screen timeout not applying after hibernation - Similar Threads - Monitor Screen timeout

2. wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?: Wifi device seems to timeout, after having lid shut throughout the day I open my computer to find no ssid available, wifi showing enabled, turning off and back on fixes issue but would like a permanent solution, any suggestions...
  3. wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wifi device timeout after sleep mode/hibernation?: Wifi device seems to timeout, after having lid shut throughout the day I open my computer to find no ssid available, wifi showing enabled, turning off and back on fixes issue but would like a permanent solution, any suggestions...
  4. Monitor timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor timeout: How can I Stop Windows 11 From Turning Off my screen for specifc program?thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-timeout/2d5a4d51-a7c4-485e-8678-20b9c94960e3
  5. Monitor timeout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor timeout: How can I Stop Windows 11 From Turning Off my screen for specifc program?thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-timeout/2d5a4d51-a7c4-485e-8678-20b9c94960e3
  6. Monitor won't sleep after inactivity timeout

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor won't sleep after inactivity timeout: Hoping someone can help me here as I'm running out of ideas. I am running Windows 10 21H1 and having an issue with monitors not going to 'sleep' after the inactivity timeout. This occurred on my previous mainboard and CPU and continued after I replaced them recently. I have...
  7. Monitor won't sleep after inactivity timeout

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor won't sleep after inactivity timeout: Hoping someone can help me here as I'm running out of ideas. I am running Windows 10 21H1 and having an issue with monitors not going to 'sleep' after the inactivity timeout. This occurred on my previous mainboard and CPU and continued after I replaced them recently. I have...
  8. Screen not turning on after a screen timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen not turning on after a screen timeout: So in my laptop, in the power and sleep settings, I have set the screen to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity. Quite a number of times I have faced this situation where the screen does not turn back on when I hit any keys on the keyboard. After a long wait, I have to...
  9. Hibernate after timeout no longer working since V2004 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate after timeout no longer working since V2004 update: My notebook has stopped automatically hibernating after 3 hours like it used to. Seems to be since I updated Win 10 to v2004. "Power Options" has been set to Hibernate after On Battery: 60 minutes Plugged in: 180 minutes What else might I need to do? Thanks. 162232
  10. Black screen on primary monitor after resuming from hibernate

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on primary monitor after resuming from hibernate: I have 2 monitors, primary is plugged into my GPU (1070). Secondary is plugged into my IGPU (8700k) When I wake my computer from hibernate the primary monitor displays the MSI boot logo, but when the computer finishes waking from hibernate the primary monitor becomes a black...