Windows 10: Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus)

Discus and support Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus) in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; First off the computer runs Windows 10 Pro 64bit. The issue also only happens with 3D games (Overlord, Styx, Oddworld: New and Tasty) all of which are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Axxooss, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Axxooss Win User

Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus)

First off the computer runs Windows 10 Pro 64bit. The issue also only happens with 3D games (Overlord, Styx, Oddworld: New and Tasty) all of which are run from Steam.

They can run properly on paper (Overlord came out 2007 ffs).

There are games using 3D graphics that work without a hitch (A Journey Down)

I have looked around, found others with similar problems and I can post links to the the questions but, the way I understood it it was always some process or application with no interface taking focus from the game and therefore minimizing it.

My problem is different.

The game still runs, it has focus, but for some reason the desktop and/or anything else running at the time is rendered on-screen as if it has been minimized and has lost focus. If you press any buttons it still responds as it would normally in-game: attacking, moving and (thank god)

pausing with esc.

Sometimes alt+tab out and into the game fixes it and sometimes it just goes back to normal on it's own after 2-3 sec.

I checked if there are any updates for the graphics drivers or to windows but they are supposedly up to date. The PC is fresh from a format and I made sure to install and update important things first before any games make it in.

One thing I am worried about is the fact that the monitor is connected via an HDMI to VGA adapter.

Any idea what might be causing it or how to fix it?

:)

Axxooss, Jul 31, 2018

2. game scores and game progress

Hello,

To assist you further I would like to ask if you are playing the game online or from desktop.

If the game is installed and you are playing from the desktop, the issue might be caused due to compatibility of the game with Windows 10. I suggest you to install the game in compatibility mode by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Download the setup files for the game from the game developers website and save it on your local disk.
    • Right click on the setup file of the
      game and select “Properties”.
    • Select “Compatibility” Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to“Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.
    • Let the game install and then check thefunctionality.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 31, 2018
  3. .Monkey Win User
    Keeping Game Fullscreen

When I have a game on fullscreen mode on Windows 10 and then I switch to a different desktop and then come back to the game's desktop, the game becomes minimized and takes a while for it to go back into it. Is there any way to keep it from minimizing when
    switching desktops so I can get back to the game instantly without waiting ~10 seconds?

Thank you

.Monkey, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus)

Microsoft Gameing

Hi David,

Game Mode is a new feature in the Windows 10 Creators Update that focuses system resources on games when enabled. To help you disable Game Mode, we recommend that you follow the steps below.

Disable Game Mode:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Click Settings.
    • Click Game Mode.
    • Toggle User Game Mode to turn it off.

You can also disable Game bar and Xbox Monitoring. To proceed, you may follow the steps below.

How to disable Game bar:

• Click Settings.
    • Click Gaming.
    • Click Game bar.
    • Click the switch below Record game clips.
      Screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar
      so that it turns Off.

How to disable Xbox Monitoring.:

• Click the Search button.
    • Type regedit and press Enter on your keyboard.
    • Double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    • Double-click System.
    • Double-click CurrentControlSet.
    • Double-click Services.
    • Click xbgm. You might need to scroll down to find it.
    • Right-click Start REG_DWORD on the right-side pane of the Window.
    • Click Modify.
    • Type 4. (The defaults is 3).
    • Click OK.
    • The Xbox Game Monitoring is not disabled.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post anytime.

Wilfred Mac, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus)

1. Monitor switching to desktop while gaming (The game keeps focus) - Similar Threads - Monitor switching desktop

2. My PC randomly switches to desktop while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC randomly switches to desktop while gaming: This is happening in all games, but not in normal computer operations. I have an i7 processor and a Geforce RTX 3060 GPU, so it's not my computer itself. Something going on with windows.. my drivers are up to date....
  3. My PC randomly switches to desktop while gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC randomly switches to desktop while gaming: This is happening in all games, but not in normal computer operations. I have an i7 processor and a Geforce RTX 3060 GPU, so it's not my computer itself. Something going on with windows.. my drivers are up to date....
  4. How to keep game focused while incoming notifications

How to keep game focused while incoming notifications: When I play a game in Fullscreen, e.g. Apex Legends via Steam, it minimizes when I get a notification e.g. from Thunderbird mail client. Why is this the default behaviour and how can I change that so that the game keeps in foreground?Switching the game to fullscreen windowed...
  5. How to keep game focused while incoming notifications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep game focused while incoming notifications: When I play a game in Fullscreen, e.g. Apex Legends via Steam, it minimizes when I get a notification e.g. from Thunderbird mail client. Why is this the default behaviour and how can I change that so that the game keeps in foreground?Switching the game to fullscreen windowed...
  6. Desktop keeps disconnecting while playing games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop keeps disconnecting while playing games: Im playing games while listening to sounds in a browser before it is okay to do that at the same time but now it keeps on buffering and it will cut my connection. I have a desktop and lan connection so it is impossible to work this way. I have other devices and the issue is...
  7. Switching Desktops while in game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Desktops while in game: Hi, I only have one monitor and when playing games like to switch to discord using the desktop switch command: Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow. This used to work, while I was in game but it hasn't of late, and I was wondering if their was...
  8. Switching Desktops while in game

Switching Desktops while in game: Hi, I only have one monitor and when playing games like to switch to discord using the desktop switch command: Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow. This used to work, while I was in game but it hasn't of late, and I was wondering if their was...
  9. Keeping game in full screen while switching between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keeping game in full screen while switching between virtual desktops: Someone had already asked my question, but didn't get an answer, I've searched and I haven't found any solution or even answer if its possible. Basically, when you switch between virtual desktops using Ctrl+Winkey+Left arrow or right arrow the game gets minimized so when you...
  10. Switches back to desktop while gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switches back to desktop while gaming: My pc switches itself back to the desktop while gaming, without my consent or permission. I'm literally in the middle of a game, hands not even close to Alt or Tab, but it's like the system in thebackground somehow needs me back to the desktop. Sure I can Alt+Tab back into...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows desktop screen automatically switching monitor

2. game keeps switching to desktop