Windows 10: Monitor turns off after 10min (not screensaver or power settings)

Discus and support Monitor turns off after 10min (not screensaver or power settings) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello just few days ago monitor (Asus PG278Q) started turning off after 10 min while watching media or idle. Checked screensaver: set to 'none'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by snaf2k, Mar 26, 2017.

1. snaf2k Win User

Monitor turns off after 10min (not screensaver or power settings)

Hello just few days ago monitor (Asus PG278Q) started turning off after 10 min while watching media or idle.

Checked screensaver: set to 'none'
    Checked power settings: max performance, set to never shut down or sleep.

What else can turn off monitor except screensaver of power settings?

PC settings:
    - i7-4790k
    - asus PG278Q
    - win 10 x64 Home
    - 16GB PC2400
    - SLi GTX 980 Ti
    - 512GB M.2 for OS
    - 4GB sata6 for media

Anything would be helpful, already loosing all hope.
    Btw tried settings screensaver to some other and choosing 60 min but it still turns off after 10 min or earlier if set so it's not screensaver.

:)

snaf2k, Mar 26, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how do I shut off the screen saver in windows 10

To turn off the actual Screensaver - Go to the Settings App - LockScreen - at the bottom click Screensaver Settings

To stop your Monitor going to sleep - Go to Control Panel - Power Options - Current Power Plan - Change Plan Settings, set turn off Display to Never

Also while you are there, click Change Advanced Power Settings - Display - Trurn off Display After

DaveM121, Mar 26, 2017
  3. djvfx Win User
    LOCK Desktop Icons with Windows 10 to stop them from randomly moving for no reason

I found another thread ( forget where ) that said it had to do with the monitor settings(and win10).

For me it happens when I have PC power settings turn off the monitor after say 10mins. When I wake it the monitor all icons are rearranged.

To get around this I use the screen saver and turn off the monitor by hand. (hate using the Scrn Saver though because of the performance hit)

my specs, lenovo X1 laptop, external BenQ monitor connected with DisplayPort

djvfx, Mar 26, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello snaf2k, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Double check using the tutorial below to see if you may have the display set to turn off after 10 minutes instead of "Never" or what you want.

Change Turn off Display after Time in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 26, 2017
  5. snaf2k Win User
    If it's screensaver of power options - then already tried.

snaf2k, Mar 26, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nope, it's not. The tutorial link I posted will help show you more on how to check.

Brink, Mar 26, 2017
  7. snaf2k Win User
    What do you mean "no it's not"? It was exactly about screen saver and power options.. I also went further and tried changing regestry "ActiveScreensaver=0" but seems that is same as regular screensaver option.

I'm out of choices.. guess will have to restore to factory defaults..

snaf2k, Mar 26, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I mean what I posted is not related to the screen saver settings that you already tried.

Did you look at and try the tutorial I posted? It does seem that it is the issue you may be having.

Brink, Mar 26, 2017
  9. snaf2k Win User
    I tried regular and registry screensaver settings.. you talking about something for noobs

snaf2k, Mar 26, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You didn't mention that you checked the setting, and is why I mentioned it for you to check.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor turns off after 10min (not screensaver or power settings) - Similar Threads - Monitor turns off

2. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle: have tried online solutions and also contacted customer service but still cant solve this problem.the setting all changed to never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screensaver-all-setting-is-off-but-still-goes-into/d744e647-f77c-4c92-948e-ecb61b2ad811
  3. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle: have tried online solutions and also contacted customer service but still cant solve this problem.the setting all changed to never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screensaver-all-setting-is-off-but-still-goes-into/d744e647-f77c-4c92-948e-ecb61b2ad811
  4. screensaver all setting is off but still goes into screensaver after idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. New install Windows 10 or 11 - Screensaver and power settings to turn monitor off do not work

New install Windows 10 or 11 - Screensaver and power settings to turn monitor off do not work: Hang in there with me on this one -I have a PC that was Windows 10, screensaver and power settings working fine. I upgraded that PC to the Windows 11 preview and screen saver and power settings for turning off monitor work fine.Now I have a second PC, rather than upgrade I...
  6. Monitor powers on after computer turns it off

Monitor powers on after computer turns it off: Trying to find how to keep monitor off after I lock the PC. What I do: 1. Monitor powers off after 1 minute when PC is locked 2. In few seconds computer plays sound like it detects new hardware, monitors wakes up and shows "No Cable Connected". 3. Then monitor turns off....
  7. Laptop monitor doesn't turn back on after automatically turning off due to power settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop monitor doesn't turn back on after automatically turning off due to power settings.: One of the laptops I have has been having this issue for a long time. I've had it for about 2 years now and it wasn't doing it when I first bought it, at least, not to my knowledge as it was plugged in almost every time that I use it. I know that it's not good for the battery...
  8. Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.: Whenever the timer goes off, the monitors turn black, but immediately power back on as if something is constantly waking them up. My desktop has had a similar issue before of the monitor never turning off, but that turned out to be a controller being plugged in issue for some...
  9. No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting

No sound through monitor speakers after monitor turns off by power plan setting: I had a one monitor setup with power plan setting to turn off monitor after 5 mins of inactivity. The monitor is a Iiyama G-Master Silver Crow GB2730QSU-B1 connected to my GPU via Display port. The sound would be going on to the monitor speakers via DP. GPU is a MSI Geforce...
  10. Monitors will not turn off per power settings

Monitors will not turn off per power settings: My monitors do not enter power save, per my power settings. I've run troubleshooter, reset to default, changed settings, updated drivers, checked reliability monitor, unplugged all usb device, issue persists. Can anyone help with this?...