Windows 10: Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity

Discus and support Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently updated from Window 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade went fairly well except for my laptop monitor turning off after 1 or 2 minutes of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rpol16, Aug 19, 2015.

1. rpol16 Win User

Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity

I recently updated from Window 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade went fairly well except for my laptop monitor turning off after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. I have changed all power settings to appropriate times. At times, normally after a fresh restart, my screen saver kicks in correctly. However, after a few times of working correctly, my monitor begins to turn off again.

:)

rpol16, Aug 19, 2015
  2. JoeD_900 Win User

Power Options

I have the Power Options set to turn off the monitor in 10 minutes of inactivity. It is not turning off. Any fix?

JoeD_900, Aug 19, 2015
  3. JoeD_900 Win User
    Power Options

I have the Power Options set to turn off the monitor in 10 minutes of inactivity. It is not turning off. Any fix?

JoeD_900, Aug 19, 2015
  4. CmmTch Win User

You might check the BIOS to see if there's a setting for the monitor, power saving, screen saver or something like that.

A year ago I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude E6400 through Newegg and the darn thing turned on as soon as I'd plug it in. I posted about it in sevenforums (laptop had Win7 Pro) and I was directed to go into BIOS, check for something related to that. I did that and there it was, a setting to power up when plugged in. I changed it to disabled and it fixed the problem.

That might not be the cause, but it sounds like you've set things in the OS, and BIOS would be about the only thing that would override the OS.

CmmTch, Aug 19, 2015
  5. rpol16 Win User
    Thanks CmmTch. I checked the BIOS and nothing glaringly was available that will cause the issue. I have already downloaded the latest drivers for my display and video cards but to no avail. It might be a bug with Windows 10 that they have not figured out. I continue to download the latest windows 10 weekly updates in hopes that the fix will be in the latest downloads.

rpol16, Aug 19, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    I have an integrated video chip, it's an ATI Radeon HD 4250, not much but it works fine for what I need. When I installed/upgraded to my present MB the cd that had the drivers on it included a Catalyst Control Center. It was an icon in the notification area of the taskbar when I had Win7, it had various adjustments for fine tuning a video card. I can't remember if it had anything on it about display settings, I don't think it did. You might check yours if there's something similar for your video.

It sounds like there's something somewhere that's either auto setting itself, or maybe it's unplugged and it's set to go off after 2 mins on battery power. I know in my laptop both at home and at work there are different choices/setting for if it's on ac power or battery power. I'm grasping at straws because as far as I know there just aren't that many different places to set that type of option.

There's always a chance even though it's plugged in the power cord/adapter could be starting to fail, or the connector that plugs into the laptop is defective. That might cause the laptop to be on battery and it appears to be on ac power.

CmmTch, Aug 19, 2015
  7. rpol16 Win User
    At first I just thought my display turns off. It turns out that my monitor turns off because the system goes to sleep. For some reason, the system goes into sleep mode before the screen saver setting activates. After 2 or 3 minutes of inactivity, my laptop simply goes into sleep mode.

rpol16, Aug 23, 2015
  8. CmmTch Win User

Sounds like you got that problem figured out, good job. Now you know what to adjust to prevent it, or if it's no big deal at least you know why it does what it does.

Thanks for posting back when you found the solution, there are many that come to tenforums after googling a problem or error and when we post back like you did we're helping other's. *Smile

CmmTch, Aug 24, 2015
  9. I'm having the same problem. When I first got my laptop (ASUS n750jv) it had Windows 8, and I immediately upgraded to Windows 8.1. I had windows 8.1 with no problems, but ever since upgrading to Windows 10, the computer will go to sleep after 2 minutes. This doesn't always happen though. Usually after a reboot, it is fine. Then eventually if it's fallen asleep and I wake it up, it will always go back to sleep after 2 minutes of being idle. I've checked every setting I know of (system power and sleep settings, every power plan listed, even the advacned power settings) , I've updated my bios to the latest version, I've updated my graphics card drivers and even mouse drivers.
    It seems to be something with waking the computer with the mouse (a USB mouse).
    Waking it by pushing the power button doesn't seem to result in the same problem (at least of the computer going to sleep after 2 minutes of idle).
    But I don't find that to be a solution, as it shouldn't matter how you wake the machine.

CaesarMagnus, Aug 27, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    Have you typed sleep in the taskbar and selected when the computer sleeps? You should be able to set when the monitor turns off and when the hard drive sleeps. You may also check under power plans, advanced settings. There are a lot of settings there including monitor and hard drive sleep.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

essenbe, Aug 28, 2015
  11. I've checked every setting I know of (system power and sleep settings, every power plan listed, even the advacned power settings) , I've updated my bios to the latest version, I've updated my graphics card drivers and even mouse drivers.
    I even reset my power settings to the default settings and then reset them to my preferences. Same going to sleep after 2 minutes happens.

CaesarMagnus, Aug 31, 2015
  12. To clarify, the laptop goes to sleep after 2 minutes of being idle, even though all my power settings (whether the laptop is on battery or plugged in) are set to a longer time (15 minutes). No matter what I change the power settings to for sleep, it always goes to sleep after two minutes idle if I wake it after the first time with my mouse.

CaesarMagnus, Sep 3, 2015
  13. Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity

I think I finally found the problem.
    There's a setting called "System unattended sleep timeout"
    However, in Windows 10 it does not show up in the Advanced Power Settings.

I had to add it through a registry edit from here (the Windows 7 regedit works on Windows 10)
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/246364-power-options-add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout.html

So far it has not gone to sleep after two minutes when I wake it with my mouse.

So, it looks like a Microsoft problem, not hardware.

CaesarMagnus, Sep 3, 2015
  14. mfaklis Win User
    I've been beating my head trying to fix this problem. I have sleep mode set to "never". I set my screen saver to "none". I've set my power settings to never power off the displays. Regardless of what I do, the displays go dark and requires a password to start-up again. Background tasks still run, proven by uploading a huge file. The upload never even paused.
    The only exception to this is if I'm receiving some streamed TV/Movie and the video is set to full screen, Windows waits two minutes after the movie is over before locking up by going black and requiring the password.

mfaklis, Sep 4, 2015
  15. mfaklis Win User
    Caesar's solution has not worked for me, although it has shown me another example of Win10Pro x64's registry missing necessary settings. To CaesarMagnus, I ask of there may have been additional registry entries you needed that are not documented in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/246364-power-options-add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout.html.

I can't imagine that all Win10Pro x64 users are going thru the same frustration as me.

mfaklis, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity - Similar Threads - Monitor turns off

2. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe: Hi. I put the setting for my monitor to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity, but it never turns off. When i run powercfg /requests in cmd, i get this:C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsDISPLAY:[PROCESS]...
  3. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe: Hi. I put the setting for my monitor to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity, but it never turns off. When i run powercfg /requests in cmd, i get this:C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsDISPLAY:[PROCESS]...
  4. Monitor doesn't turn off after inactivity because of cvtres.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. After upgrade monitor no longer will turn off fully after inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After upgrade monitor no longer will turn off fully after inactivity: I recently upgraded my mobo & cpu. I didn't reinstall windows I just installed the mobo drivers. I have an nvidia video card that I use for my monitor. The issue is that when my PC sits for awhile I want the monitor to turn off. The monitor will turn off for a split...
  6. Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY?????

Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY?????: Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. What must I do to get this fixed???? I do NOT want my computer to sleep, but I do want the monitors to power off....
  7. laptop hard drive turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity with external monitor, all times...

laptop hard drive turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity with external monitor, all times...: Hi, my laptop keeps going to sleep mode after only 2 minutes of inactivity when connected to an external monitor. I have Windows 10 Home, and in my power and sleep settings all of the turn off times are set to 30 minutes, same as in the advanced power settings. Also, it makes...
  8. Monitor turns black after 5 minutes of inactivity and there is no sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns black after 5 minutes of inactivity and there is no sound: Hi there. Since some Windows 10 updates ago, if I let the PC inactive for some minutes the monitor turns off. Then if I move the mouse, it needs around 5 seconds to turn on again, but in the "sound" configuration the speakers are not being recognized anymore and there is no...
  9. After waking from Sleep, Monitor Shuts off after 2 minutes of inactivity

After waking from Sleep, Monitor Shuts off after 2 minutes of inactivity: My power options are set to NEVER NEVER NEVER... but when I wake my computer from sleep the Monitor will shut off after 2 or 3 minutes and I have to log in from screen lock to continue reading or working. Its very annoying... I eventually just reboot the system and then...
  10. Display turns off after exactly 10 minutes of inactivity

in Windows 10 Support
    Display turns off after exactly 10 minutes of inactivity: Hello I have used this site before for help with my computer problems and it never failed, but now I can't find the answer, hope this thread helps I have had my pc for 5 years now, it always worked fine. GA-X79-UD7 I7-3930k GTX 770 Last week the monitor started...