Windows 10: monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

Discus and support monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have tried to figure out why my monitor turns itself off after (about) 10 minutes, and can't figure out why it is doing it. When the monitor goes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by varuuth, Aug 7, 2016.

1. varuuth Win User

monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

I have tried to figure out why my monitor turns itself off after (about) 10 minutes, and can't figure out why it is doing it.

When the monitor goes off I have absolutely no control. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer and power it back up.

Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

At the above post is a registry edit that they say sometimes helps. I tried it... It didn't.

I have gone to settings and changed the power settings to performance. This is a tower computer a dell 630i with 4 gigs of ram and a 750ti nvidia video card,so I want the performance out of it. I said don't park the hard drive, don't turn off the monitor (ever). It still turns off the monitor. I know I am a little weak on info here, so if you need anymore detail please ask.

I would love to fix this problem.

Almost forgot. If i can continously using the computer i haven't experienced the problem. It's if I don't touch anything for a period of time is when there is an issue.

edit August 6: I booted the computer, left the room for maybe 5 minutes might not have even been that long and the monitor was already black and non responsive. please tell me someone has an idea.

I did post this in a different area but i'm thinking with no response at all .. maybe it was in the wrong area. Maybe someone here can help me out.

:)

varuuth, Aug 7, 2016

2. Windows 10 turns off monitor after 10 minutes by itself

Here are the screenshots of my settings.

monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes) [​IMG]

Tomislav Music, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 turns off monitor after 10 minutes by itself

Anyone?

Tomislav Music, Aug 7, 2016
  4. monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

PC Not compatible for windows 10.. ( As much any support from dell is concerned).
    Try to get the Graphic Card updated from nVIDIA site(not dell).
    Change settings in device manager >> display adaptor>>Properties and .. Not to allow this device to sleep

manish9009, Aug 7, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Check the Powercfg sleep state info with powercfg-availablesleepstates in a Command Window. It will save a text file in the windows/system32 folder, so you may want to run the command from your Documents directory.

bro67, Aug 7, 2016
  6. varuuth Win User
    i open a command prompt and type in
    powercfg-availablesleepstates
    and it says
    'powercfg-availablesleepstates' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

btw i ran it from c:\users\(name)\Documents

varuuth, Aug 8, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    My bad. It was a typo when I copied. It is supposed to be /availablesleepstates I do believe. Just run powercfg and it will give you the switches that you can run it with. If you run a file that just prints out to the Terminal, you would follow it with > and what the .txt file name. Always specify the folder you want to save them in your user directory.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
  8. varuuth Win User

The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)
    Hibernate
    Hybrid Sleep
    Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

varuuth, Aug 8, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    There is a way to pull the activity of when the machine goes into sleep mode. If this is a separate monitor, it could be as simple as it is the reason why it goes to sleep, not the computer.

bro67, Aug 8, 2016
  10. varuuth Win User
    nope only have one monitor. and not sure how to see the activity of when the computer goes into sleep mode. actually not sure if it is even possible. since i only have one monitor and when the screen goes black i can only hit the power button. :-( or is the data stored in a file that i can view after a power loss and then booting back up?

varuuth, Aug 8, 2016
  11. varuuth Win User
    any other ideas? sorry to be a pest but this shouldn't be happening.

varuuth, Aug 10, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Try a different monitor. If the monitor has a reset feature in its menu, do that. If you have a GPU utility installed on the computer, make sure that it did not create a power profile. Too many variables to pin it down to, without physically sitting down in front of it.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes) - Similar Threads - monitor turns off

2. Cpu on about 1,2 minute after monitor off.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cpu on about 1,2 minute after monitor off.: After shutting down the computer, the line from the monitor goes away but the CPU has a line for about 1 or 2 minutes. Fan, and power light on. And the RGB light on the mouse stays on even when the CPU is off. Keyboard off totally. What is the solution???...
  3. Cpu on about 1,2 minute after monitor off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu on about 1,2 minute after monitor off.: After shutting down the computer, the line from the monitor goes away but the CPU has a line for about 1 or 2 minutes. Fan, and power light on. And the RGB light on the mouse stays on even when the CPU is off. Keyboard off totally. What is the solution???...
  4. Cpu on about 1,2 minute after monitor off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Monitor turns off after a few minutes randomly

in Windows 10 News
    PC Monitor turns off after a few minutes randomly: [ATTACH]If your PC monitor turns off after a few minutes randomly, you can follow these solutions to get rid of this problem. There could be various reasons why your computer monitor turns off automatically after a few minutes. Here we have explained some of the common causes...
  6. Webinar turns off after 10 minutes.

Webinar turns off after 10 minutes.: When I listen to a webinar my Windows 10 turns off after about 10 minutes. How do I change that? I have already adjusted the power options but that does not stop the turning off. Thanks, Mary...
  7. Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY?????

Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY?????: Windows 10 is not turning off my monitors after 10 minutes of inactivity. What must I do to get this fixed???? I do NOT want my computer to sleep, but I do want the monitors to power off....
  8. monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes)

monitor turns off after (about 10 minutes): I have tried to figure out why my monitor turns itself off after (about) 10 minutes, and can't figure out why it is doing it. When the monitor goes off I have absolutely no control. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer and power it back up. Monitor turns...
  9. Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity

Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity: I recently updated from Window 8.1 to Windows 10. The upgrade went fairly well except for my laptop monitor turning off after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. I have changed all power settings to appropriate times. At times, normally after a fresh restart, my screen saver kicks...
  10. Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded to Windows 10, Monitor turns off after 1-3 minutes.: Upgraded to Windows 10 when I went to bad last night. I wake up to the computer beeping, 3 beeps at a time, nothing on screen. I decide to keep waiting, just in case. After many hours, I try anything to get it to react, but finally decide to force shutdown. Then, after...