Windows 10: Monitor turns on by itself

Discus and support Monitor turns on by itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I installed Win10 the monitor has been turning on by itself between 3 and 5 am every night, or 3 minutes after login after a reboot if it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Feldon45, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Feldon45 Win User

Monitor turns on by itself

Ever since I installed Win10 the monitor has been turning on by itself between 3 and 5 am every night, or 3 minutes after login after a reboot if it is off at the time. Except on days immediately after a noticeable win10 patch. It is turned off physically, not by the system. Only having the system off or unplugging the monitor prevents it from turning on.

I have set my system to check for updates at 10am but that does not seem to affect the problem at all. I have tried looking through the event viewer for items at the time its happening but havent found a good tool to sort by time.

I would be very grateful for help resolving the problem.

:)

Feldon45, Nov 29, 2015

2. Webcam turns on by itself

You are welcome.

Glad that your computer is up and running - Thank you for sharing the information with us.

That's always a nice gesture when we get back a post indicating if the suggestions were hehelpful or not.

PS

Keep Windows operating system, Anti-virus and other applications updated using their respective update systems is always important.

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Webcam turns on by itself

I was doing homework, on Google Chrome, and suddenly, I see the light for the webcam on. So I kinda freak out and think someone is watching me.

But then, I tried opening settings and it wouldn't open. Then I searched it up on my phone and someone said to download Process explorer from Microsoft.

So I go on Microsoft Edge and it says, "Unable to open."

So I go back to Chrome and go to a Microsoft and try to download the Process explorer. But it wouldn't let me download it.

Now, I basically can't open anything and the webcam is covered. I tried to shut it down and open it again, but the light was stil on.

I really need help!!

Is it a hacker? Or some problem.

My pc is a Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 Series.

It's windows 10 also.

sarakhudeir, Nov 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, welcome to tenforums.
    If you type
    monitor turns on
    into the search box above for this forum, you will get a lot of relevant results from threads on this topic.
    Could you have a look through these and see if there's anything that might help you?

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Feldon45 Win User
    Checking through, not seeing anything I haven't already done.
    Wake Timers are disabled. Wake commands from hardware are turned off except the mouse and keyboard. All my windows updates currently appear to be properly installed. Been through several versions of nvidia drivers hoping.

Is there a tool that would search the Event Log by time? I know the exact times its happening, however searching every entry in EventViewer or other tools that don't sort by time makes it rather painful to find what i'm looking for.

Feldon45, Nov 29, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  7. Feldon45 Win User
    Ok, in the Event Log the items happening at the minute the monitor turns on:

Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing User Account Management (various logins to admin, default and my account)

Microsoft-Windows-LoadPerf x2 (Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data in the data section contains the new index values assigned to this service.)

Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP 6 entries with different event IDs (large amounts of data, will paste if needed)

gupdate event 0 (The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( gupdate ) could not be found.Either the component that raises this event is not installed on the computer or the installation is corrupted.You can install or repair the component or try to change Description Server.
    The following information was included with the event (insertion strings):
    Service stopped)

gupdate is the only thing that appears to be throwing an error of any sort. It is part of Google Chrome according to google search. However, when I recently did a clean install of win10, I didn't install chrome until after the monitor turned itself on again as I was trying to narrow down the cause.

Feldon45, Nov 30, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, maybe this helps there:
    How to disable this service.
    Open a command prompt. (Run a command prompt as Administrator in Windows vista/7/8)
    Copy red command line and Paste.
    sc stop "gupdate"
    sc config "gupdate" start= disabled

How to delete this service.
    sc delete "gupdate"

Done.!

Close the command prompt.

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  9. Feldon45 Win User
    Turned off the gupdate service, but like I said, I had the problem even without any google programs installed after a fresh installation of Windows 10, so i'm relatively sure thats not the cause.

Feldon45, Nov 30, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Didn't expect it would.. sorry for the false hope - just dealing with that issue..
    So

To check any timers will wake your machine that are in effect, run
    powercfg -waketimers

You'll get a list of any active wake timers on the system.

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  11. Feldon45 Win User
    No active wake timers, turned those off awhile ago. Also wake timers would affect the system which isn't in sleep mode to begin with. Only the monitor appears affected, no visible programs or anything starting or stopping.

Feldon45, Nov 30, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Try using the search box above "wakes during the night" - there are a good many threads hopefully with further ideas..

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

Ok, sorry, I should have asked. What state is your PC in during the night?

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
  14. Feldon45 Win User
    Its on in normal running mode, just the power button on the monitor off. Sometimes playing audio before bed usually ending before the monitor wakes up, but its turned on without any programs running other than the OS and whatever background processes are running at the time.

Feldon45, Nov 30, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, in Device Manager, find the Properties sheet for your monitor; have a look at the Events tab- is there anything helpful there?

It may be that you will need to use Systinternals process monitor, note a time when the monitor comes on, and from the log created by process monitor, try to identify what is happening.

Also have you checked your scheduled tasks?

Is your computer on a LAN?

dalchina, Nov 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Monitor turns on by itself - Similar Threads - Monitor turns itself

2. Bitlocker turned itself on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker turned itself on: We have a Dell laptop in which a tech tried to install a USB to VGA dongle. In the process, the computer restarted and went into recovery mode. When we finally got out of recovery, the OS apparently turned Bitlocker on its own so we don't have a 48-character key to unlock it....
  3. Laptop turning itself on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turning itself on: HelloI have upgraded my laptop from Win10 to Win11. After a few weeks, I noticed that the laptop will turn itself on whenever I closed the lid and would not go to sleep as per the power setting. I tried resetting the power configuration to default and it is still doing the...
  4. Laptop turning itself on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turning itself on: HelloI have upgraded my laptop from Win10 to Win11. After a few weeks, I noticed that the laptop will turn itself on whenever I closed the lid and would not go to sleep as per the power setting. I tried resetting the power configuration to default and it is still doing the...
  5. The webcam turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The webcam turns on by itself: The webcam on my laptop turns on by itself. I have found that it turns on when any sound is played. For example, I am talking on MS Teams with the video OFF. But the camera nevertheless turns on the light near the camera is on. It often happens that the camera quickly turns...
  6. Sound turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound turns on by itself: I checked my audio driver and it is up to date. But sometimes when I open my computer the audio is at 10% and I set the audio to muted the last time I used it. Help pls submitted by /u/trobot2 [link] [comments]...
  7. Sound turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound turns on by itself: I set my sound to muted and when I opened my computer it was on and at 10%. And my computer made a beeping sound but i don't know if that's related. Help pls submitted by /u/trobot2 [link] [comments]...
  8. Monitor turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor turns on by itself: Hi. My screen is set to turn off after 5 minutes, no sleep, no hibernation. It does turn off but turns back on immediately. After another 5 minutes (or whatever time I set it to) it turns off again but this time it stays off as it should. I've got the latest drivers, my...
  9. Computer turns on by itself

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns on by itself: I just got a new computer a few days ago and three times now its turned on around 6 AM, I know this because the fan I have plugged into it starts when its on and around that time it started going and the computer was still closed. I thought it was the active hours but I was...
  10. computer turns itself on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer turns itself on: finding computer on when no one has touched it for weeks - happening a couple days in a row -no cortana, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-turns-itself-on/7cae53a3-a974-48f6-a83b-127fc53f7475"