Windows 10: Monitor unable to use laptop resolution

Discus and support Monitor unable to use laptop resolution in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi My laptop model is Asus X550J runing Intel Core i7, Geforce GTX 850M and i wanted to connect my monitor to my laptop so i use the vga cable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by nickname199, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Monitor unable to use laptop resolution

Hi

My laptop model is Asus X550J runing Intel Core i7, Geforce GTX 850M and i wanted to connect my monitor to my laptop so i use the vga cable to connect to my Acer p193w monitor.

When i tried to use it , it will have a pop up saying that the resolution is not correct or something similar. It then told me to use the setting of my laptop which is 2048*1152 resolutions.

Currently the resolution of my Acer Monitor is 1024 * 768 and when i tried to to use the recommend resolutions, the monitor will go blank and says input not detected and after which reverts back to its original resolutions.

Does anyone know how i can use my laptop resolution on my monitor?

:)

nickname199, Jun 2, 2017

2. Unpredictable, sporadic loss of resolution with external monitor with Microsoft Office applications

Thanks for the suggestion.

So this is very interesting.

• Booting up the laptop, NOT connected to the monitor. Laptop on its own has high resolution. Once monitor is connected, the laptop screen is shut off. The monitor has the highest resolution, full utilizing its 4K capabilities.
    • Booting up the laptop with monitor connected. Laptop screen has high resolution. Both the laptop and monitor screens are on. Monitor screen duplicates the laptop screen, so the icons and windows appear larger. According to the Setting, System, Display,
      Advanced Setting, the resolution is 1920x1080 although everything appears to have a lower resolution. Now when I close the lid of the laptop, the size of all the icons and windows are reduced and look like the size in (#1) above. What is really interesting
      is that non-Office applications appear to have high resolution (I'm typing this post using Chrome), but Office applications appear to have poorer resolution. The type looks similar to what I'm seeing on my Dell desktop with a 24" 1080p screen (my monitor
      is a 27" 4K display). However, the resolution shown is 3840 x 2160.
    • Now I open up the lid of the laptop and get back the duplicate screens (monitor = laptop screen). I then use the function key to change it into the projection mode, and everything looks the same as
      if the lid of the laptop is closed (#2 above). The resolution, according to Setting, is 2560 x 1440.
    • I also used the extended mode and the image on the monitor also looks like #2 above. Using the Setting to check on the resolution, the monitor is now set at 1920 x 1080 in the extended mode.
    So you are on to something here. Depending on whether I project to the monitor, using it in the extended mode, or using it with the laptop lid closed, the images all appeared with the same degree of
    lower resolution even though the resolution setting of the monitor varies. So maybe it is Office not being able to fully utilize the higher resolution or something with the Clear Type fonts.

As I mentioned, everything looks great when I boot up the laptop with the monitor disconnected, and then connect it after I have booted up and logged in.

Thanks for helping in trying to solve this interesting problem.

Albert

AlbertLeung9176, Jun 2, 2017
  3. AlexB1971 Win User
    Second Monitor Resolution Confused with Surface Monitor after Windows Update

I have a second Iiyama monitor attached to my surface laptop running windows 10. The monitor is attached using a MS Surface Dock. After installing a windows update the settings are confused and I am unable to change the resolution of the Iiyama in the
    "Display Settings" however the Surface Monitor has an impressive range of resolutions which are best suited to the Iiyama monitor. I initially solved this by upgrading the surface dock's firmware using the MS Surface Dock Updater, however I just installed
    another MS Windows update and I'm back to the same problem.

AlexB1971, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Monitor unable to use laptop resolution

What mode are you using, Extend, Duplicate, etc?

alphanumeric, Jun 2, 2017
Thema:

Monitor unable to use laptop resolution

1. Monitor unable to use laptop resolution - Similar Threads - Monitor unable laptop

2. Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Resolution: I just got a 34 inch curved monitor Dell S3422DW and I am trying to change the resolution to 3440X1440 but that is not an option in the Resolution menu. The highest it goes is 1920X1080. So right now my screen is stretched and pixilated. How can I get the 3440X1440 resolution...
  3. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor: I am running 2 extra monitors besides my laptop monitor. When I booted up today, monitor 3 is set at 640x480 and i can't change is, the option is not active . It has always been set to 1920x1080. How can i fix this...
  4. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor: I am running 2 extra monitors besides my laptop monitor. When I booted up today, monitor 3 is set at 640x480 and i can't change is, the option is not active . It has always been set to 1920x1080. How can i fix this...
  5. Unable to change resolution of 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Monitor resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  7. Monitor resolutions

Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  8. Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, and a Viotek 34" ultrawide monitor, connected through the Microsoft docking station using Display port to Mini-Display port. When I originally connected my laptop, I was able to adjust the external monitor's resolution with no problem. Recently,...
  9. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...
  10. Laptop to Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop to Monitor Resolution: I usually have my laptop plugged into my monitor, but the laptops resolution is smaller than my monitors resolution. my laptop is making my monitor display 1366x 768 when it should be 1920x 1080. Please help. 31537