Windows 10: monitor vs tv

Discus and support monitor vs tv in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A newbie question: I have been looking for either a monitor or a tv for my Intel Compute Stick which is running Win 10 Home. The screen size I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by davidhk, Feb 16, 2018.

1. davidhk Win User

monitor vs tv

A newbie question:
    I have been looking for either a monitor or a tv for my Intel Compute Stick which is running Win 10 Home.
    The screen size I have in mind is about 21-24 inch.

As I was surfing for prices from various sites, i.e. Walmart, Amazon, Bestbuy, eBay etc, and it dawned on me that there is not much of price difference between a computer monitor and a tv of the same screen size.

So, my question :
    A tv or an monitor ? What is better ? What is the difference ?

:)

davidhk, Feb 16, 2018

2. Stop Code upon closing main monitor while running 2nd monitor full screen

Hi, I use my 42" Panasonic EDMI as a second monitor for watching Netflix, movies, etc... My monitor 1 is an HP 220CWA. Resolution is set for recommended for both. I now have an HP Omen 880 desktop (newly purchased) & when I go full screen on my TV
    to watch a movie, etc...then shut off my main HP monitor to reduce glare, I get the blue screen of death with a Stop Code error. The computer then reboots automatically. What changes do I need to make to have this work? I had no issues with my old computer
    with this setup going from Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade. In Device Manager, the TV shows as a Generic PnP Monitor with default driver 10.0.16299.251 installed. I don't want to make my TV my main monitor (if this is posed as a solution) since I also game
    and prefer to do so on my higher resolution HP monitor vs my older EDMI tv.

Help? Having my HP monitor on while watching tv is distracting.

Thanks!

JenniferGraham, Feb 16, 2018
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    GTA San andreas cannot find audio card installed in Windows 10

The game does run on Win10 1703, so you should be able to fix the problem.

- Did you download the Win10 Realtek drivers from ASUS ? With laptops it is best to use the driver from

the mfg of the machine vs the generic driver from Realtek.

- Have you connected the laptop to an external monitor or TV ?

This would only be an issue if you have no audio from the laptop at all, but if you have connected to an

external monitor/TV via HDMI/DisplayPort that has it's own speakers this may have automatically switched the

default Sound (Control Panel > Sound > Playback) option to use the speakers in the monitor or TV instead of theRealtek HD Audio.

I had this happen recently and was confused for hours as had never used a monitor with built in speakers,

and didn't think of looking in those settings.

BossDweeb, Feb 16, 2018
  4. Cliff S New Member

monitor vs tv

For a compute stick?
    You won't be gaming or video editing(too little memory and graphics???? ).
    Get a TV, you'll have more options(like watching TV, connecting a dvd player and so on), when not computing, and it will be easier to calibrate the brightness, contrast and sharpness, for a better picture.
    If you go with a maximum 1080 screen I have some calibration software on my OneDrive I can link you, and you can visually calibrate it(as opposed to with a colorimeter).

Cliff S, Feb 16, 2018
  5. davidhk Win User
    It is used mainly for emailing, surfing the net.
    I might play a few games from Windows Store. No heavy duty type of games.
    Video editing ? Not likely. Might create a powerpoint presentation occasionally.

My specs:

monitor vs tv [​IMG]

davidhk, Feb 16, 2018
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Thank you for the rep David*Smile

I used my LG HDTV for the longest time, first with a low end ASUS laptop, then with an "off the shelf" Lenovo desktop, and had good enough graphics picture after I set everything up to my satisfaction(key word "my").

Cliff S, Feb 16, 2018
  7. davidhk Win User
    As I am still looking for a reasonably priced TV for my Intel Compute Stick, I encountered another question.
    I had been googling for answer but I am no wiser than before.
    My question :
    What is the difference between a Roku Smart TV and a Smart TV ?
    So far I can Understand............
    The former is a tv with Roku already installed. Owner just has to activate it. Right ?
    The latter is..... what ?

Thank you.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

monitor vs tv

1. monitor vs tv - Similar Threads - monitor

2. Both monitors go black and force a restart while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both monitors go black and force a restart while playing games: An issue started for me last week where I would be playing a game and suddenly both monitors would go black and not come back. I tried using Ctrl-Alt-Delete, disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors but I can only bring the display back by forcing a restart. It's happened...
  3. Both monitors go black and force a restart while playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Both monitors go black and force a restart while playing games: An issue started for me last week where I would be playing a game and suddenly both monitors would go black and not come back. I tried using Ctrl-Alt-Delete, disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors but I can only bring the display back by forcing a restart. It's happened...
  4. Both monitors go black and force a restart while playing games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m: Occasionally I have this issue, where my Right-Hand Display Monitor does not come back on/wake up, with the Laptop and other Display Screen, as it should. This issue turned into happening now each time I have to wake up my computer, after updating the screen sleep settings......
  6. Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m

Monitor does not wake up after updated Screen Sleep settings, to 3m: Occasionally I have this issue, where my Right-Hand Display Monitor does not come back on/wake up, with the Laptop and other Display Screen, as it should. This issue turned into happening now each time I have to wake up my computer, after updating the screen sleep settings......
  7. Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Issue: Morning, I'm having issues with my monitors. Up until yesterday they were working fine. I unplugged my laptop to work elsewhere and when I went to plug in I started having issues. I have 2 samsung monitors plugged in to my Lenovo Thinkpad. No docking station. One monitor is...
  8. Monitor Issue

Monitor Issue: Morning, I'm having issues with my monitors. Up until yesterday they were working fine. I unplugged my laptop to work elsewhere and when I went to plug in I started having issues. I have 2 samsung monitors plugged in to my Lenovo Thinkpad. No docking station. One monitor is...
  9. Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Monitors shut off followed by streaming software turning off, not considered an actual...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitors shut off followed by streaming software turning off, not considered an actual...: PC Build:CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900xGPU: Asus Turbo RTX 2080 TIMB: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD C Drive, 2TB Blackweb NVME Drive, 5TB Blackweb external HD, 2TB Western Digital HDDRAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 2x16 32GB memoryPower Supply: Corsair...