Windows 10: Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update

Discus and support Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My Dell Inspiron Desktop with Win 10 recently installed 2 updates: Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213647)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Katie22, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Katie22 Win User

Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update

My Dell Inspiron Desktop with Win 10 recently installed 2 updates: Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213647) and 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676). Following Cumulative Update 4041676, whenever the computer is put to sleep, it doesn't come out of sleep. I have now realized that the computer itself is probably coming out of sleep (the fan whooshes and the power light becomes steady) but the monitor won't display anything. The monitor works fine all the rest of the time. I did try a system restore to a Restore Point before the update, but when I turned the computer off, it re-installed the update, so I can't get rid of it.

I have the computer and monitor set to never go to sleep automatically. I have unchecked the Hybrid Sleep button.

Any ideas? I'm at my wit's end on this one.

:)

Katie22, Oct 13, 2017
  2. PhilVargo Win User

I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 the monitor will not come out of sleep mode after a recent update by Microsoft

my desktop computer with Windows 10 won't come out of sleep phase on the monitor after a recent update. Is there a fix?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

PhilVargo, Oct 13, 2017
  3. Sleep mode does not sleep

Since latest Windows 10 updates, after I put it in Sleep Mode, it shuts off the monitor, then after a few seconds comes back on.

notanewbie_882, Oct 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 14, 2017
  5. Katie22 Win User
    I did see that post, but when searching my Updates, I didn't find a single driver update for my monitor. I guess I can try uninstalling & blocking the update, but it worries me that it might be a critical update.

Katie22, Oct 14, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    It depends on the update. Bear in mind
    a. There'll be another cumulative update (if that's what this was, and not a driver update) in a month's time
    b. There's a whole new wonderful sparkling magical Windows build coming over the next few weeks (which I shall be in no hurry to adopt!)

dalchina, Oct 14, 2017
  7. Katie22 Win User
    Yup, it was a cumulative update. So what's this Windows build coming up? I have a feeling I should just let this go for a month or so and see what happens with these new updates. So far I'm the only one I've heard of with this problem with this update, although others have had the BSOD. Compared to that, this isn't so bad, but it's a pain.

Katie22, Oct 14, 2017
  8. Mizzness Win User

Hello Katie,
    I also had this happen over this past weekend. Thank you for starting this post as I thought I was the only one experiencing this glitch.
    Surprised more people haven't posted as this had to have affected more than 2 users with a Dell Inspiron desktop.
    To wait a month, or even a few weeks for a "fix"/update is criminal but I guess we're stuck.

Mizzness, Oct 17, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    The best practice is always to act defensively.

Maintain disk images of Windows (and your other disks and partitions as appropriate). E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).
    If sthg goes strangely or badly wrong, you can revert to a previous working state by restoring from an image. (However any personal data on the same partition will also be reverted to that date so it's best to separate user data and Windows).

You could see what comments there are on Dell's forums.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    What I don't understand: From the OP first post, it's contradicting......from title of thread; "monitor doesn't come out of sleep" to the 2nd to last line in thread where OP states "I have the PC and monitor set to never go to sleep".

So, if it's set to not go to sleep.....how is it going into sleep mode?

Plankton, Oct 17, 2017
  11. Mizzness Win User
    Good question. Maybe she set her computer to those settings once it was awake.
    I can tell you that the only way I can "wake" mine up is too manually shut down via the power button.
    Very frustrating and surprised it will take this long to fix.

Mizzness, Oct 17, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Presumably means she selects Sleep manually (menu).

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  13. Katie22 Win User

Yes, I mean that when you manually put it to sleep, the monitor won't wake up. The default settings are to never put it to sleep (that is, after 10 minutes or 45 minutes of not using it) or whatever. I have it set that way so that it won't put itself to sleep and then I have to do a hard shutdown.
    Mizzness: sorry to hear you're also having this problem but I'm kinda glad it's not just me. I will look around the Dell Inspiron boards as well. Dalchina: thank you for the image suggestion. I'm fairly OK with computers, but this is way beyond anything I've ever tried, so I'm going to hold off. Plus, if I do an image now, it won't be correct *Smile

Katie22, Oct 18, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Cumulative Update KB4041676 Windows 10 v1703 Build 15063.674 - Windows 10 Forums

- lots of comments on that update - I've not checked to see if anything relevant.
    (The News section has a thread per update)

It's never too early to create a disk image. Why? Imagine your disk fails... your PC suddenly becomes unbootable.. the only option is a clean install... hours of work reinstalling programs, settings....

Perhaps the loss of significant data...

An image can be restored in under an hour. Even to a new disk.
    Lots of videos on this - on this site, on youtube...

An imaging program creates a compressed copy of the used part of your disk(s) and or partition(s) that you choose.
    A good one chooses all the partitions comprising Windows for you.

If you have disk images (which can be updated by the imaging program maintaining a disk image set - the base image, and a set of others representing the change from that base image)

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  15. i2000s Win User
    It might be related to the Intel Driver issue causing screen flickering. It has affected multiple versions of CPUs and computer brands. Intel people have noticed this issue and are working on solving it (will be posting solution here). A temporary workaround is to rollback to some earlier version of Intel Graphics driver from your Device Management.

i2000s, Oct 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update - Similar Threads - Monitor won't sleep

2. Issues coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues coming out of sleep mode: My laptop Thinkpad T14 AMD Gen 1 has had issues in sleep mode ever since the Windows 11 Update. Issues include: Not coming out of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to reboot Locking up on the face recognition screen for 60+ seconds, then getting the blue screen...
  3. Issues coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues coming out of sleep mode: My laptop Thinkpad T14 AMD Gen 1 has had issues in sleep mode ever since the Windows 11 Update. Issues include: Not coming out of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to reboot Locking up on the face recognition screen for 60+ seconds, then getting the blue screen...
  4. My laptop won't come out of sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop won't come out of sleep mode.: I'm using my Lenovo Ideapad laptop and whenever I put it into sleep mode by closing the lid, from the power menu, etc. the screen would stay off. I try pressing different keys and using the trackpad but the screen stays off. Then I have to hold down the power button to shut...
  5. monitor dosen't come up after leaving sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    monitor dosen't come up after leaving sleep mode: When I boot my computer out of sleep my monitor doesn't come back on until I cut the power bar power off and then back on. I have windows 10 version 1803 and 17134.829 build. I recently installed a new network adaptor....
  6. Unable to come out of Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to come out of Sleep mode: Running a Dell XPS 15, (L502X). Upgraded from 7 to 10 Pro yesterday. Played around a bit with the new OS and then went off to other things. Laptop went into sleep mode after 15 minutes as it always has. But this time I couldn't wake it up. Required me to power off the unit,...
  7. Monitor won't sleep, screensaver won't come on

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor won't sleep, screensaver won't come on: New PC build: 8700k, Z370 board, GTX 1080 Ti, Win 10 Home, all latest drivers and BIOS updates The monitor won't enter sleep mode and the screen saver won't come on either. Have tried resetting Power Options to default. Unplugged all USB devices. Does anyone have any...
  8. Garbled screen coming out of Sleep mode ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled screen coming out of Sleep mode ?: Win10 1703 Garbled screen coming out of Sleep mode only Very intermittent ..Tried another monitor same problem The Icons and Folders flash and If I can lucky on a reboot all is ok If not the only things I can see are the text part of the Icons , shortcuts and Folders...
  9. Crash (hard reboot) after coming OUT of Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Crash (hard reboot) after coming OUT of Sleep mode: Purchased refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 SFF came with Win7. Performed update to Win10. I only use this machine for watching tv in a spare room, so no important data. No extra software / bloatware / antivirus / etc is installed on it. Only USB device is an IR receiver...
  10. Won't come out of sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't come out of sleep mode.: I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 on it. When it goes into sleep mode, if I swipe the touch pad within a few seconds it will come out of sleep mode. However if I'm not at the computer so that it is in sleep mode for a while, then when I swipe the touch to pad wake it up...