Windows 10: Monospace Font isn't fixed width for CJK chars

Discus and support Monospace Font isn't fixed width for CJK chars in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Just installed Windows 10 Home English version. Open notepad, choose font: Consolas (default) / Courier New / Lucida Console, CJK characters are not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gamelife123, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Monospace Font isn't fixed width for CJK chars

Just installed Windows 10 Home English version.
    Open notepad, choose font: Consolas (default) / Courier New / Lucida Console, CJK characters are not fixed width.
    In previous versions of Windows, these monospace fonts indeed display CJK characters in fixed width.
    Is this normal? How to fix this?

:)

gamelife123, Dec 6, 2015
  2. cataholic Win User

Automaic capitalization when typing a message is incorrect

Like you I was taught the same but that was many, many years ago before PCs came along. But one space after the full stop is well established modern usage and has been for a long time (I can only speak for use in a couple of languages though, the practice
    in others may be different).

In the past with monospaced fonts such as were found on typewriters where all letters are the same width (e.g. an "i" and an "m" were the same width) an extra space was needed to give always a clear visual break for reading so use of two spaces were the standard
    usage.

With the arrival of proportional fonts (e.g. an "i" and an "m" are different widths) only one space is needed for a clear visual break and this is modern usage.

cataholic, Dec 6, 2015
  3. esanker Win User
    Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

1. If your N8 is already running Anna, you don't need to update QT and OviStore. Just copy the CJK fonts to the Resource\Fonts folder in the Mass Memory or the Memory Card.

2. No problems using the CJK fonts on Anna.

3. Yeah it will work.

esanker, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

Monospace Font isn't fixed width for CJK chars

1. Monospace Font isn't fixed width for CJK chars - Similar Threads - Monospace Font isn't

2. Closing W11 laptop lid =="Do Nothing" causes redisplay with smaller font and width on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing W11 laptop lid =="Do Nothing" causes redisplay with smaller font and width on...: This is a new HP Envy 2in1 15-fe0097nr Windows 11 laptop. I would like to use it with the laptop lid closed so it fits under an external monitor on my desk. Laptop is connected to an ASUS PA278CV , resolution 2560 x 1440 external monitor, with either a 10 Gb/s USB-C cable...
  3. Closing W11 laptop lid =="Do Nothing" causes redisplay with smaller font and width on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing W11 laptop lid =="Do Nothing" causes redisplay with smaller font and width on...: This is a new HP Envy 2in1 15-fe0097nr Windows 11 laptop. I would like to use it with the laptop lid closed so it fits under an external monitor on my desk. Laptop is connected to an ASUS PA278CV , resolution 2560 x 1440 external monitor, with either a 10 Gb/s USB-C cable...
  4. fixing font size in website

in Windows 10 Customization
    fixing font size in website: Yikes, I inadvertently changed I have no idea the font size in my Ancestry.com website program. How do I make it small again? Thanks so much https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixing-font-size-in-website/d4f9b88d-704e-48ce-8967-deff641d9c61
  5. Line Width

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Line Width: How do I change the width of a line in Word 10 on iPad Air 2? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/line-width/883d3f92-71d8-4dbe-9c86-f48a6b76fddd
  6. Windows fixed-width fonts are small and overridden with "Fixedsys" everywhere

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows fixed-width fonts are small and overridden with "Fixedsys" everywhere: Hello! Some time ago I've tried settings my font in Command Prompt to "Fixedsys". I edited the registry, and got it working. But it also changed fixed-width fonts everywhere on Windows, including other all kinds of apps, even website which show code using the <pre> tags. I've...
  7. Need CP437 Monospace ttf font

Need CP437 Monospace ttf font: For a legacy program I am using, I need a monospace TrueType font with codepage 437 (or 850). I would like a sans serif font if possible. Does anyone know of such a font (or how one could rearrange another font to CP437)? 137495
  8. Taskbar width

Taskbar width: I have accidentally clicked on something and now my task bar is too wide. I have tried everything but can't get it back to normal. Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-width/254bb810-3a97-4975-966b-b9a6b5ff436e
  9. Need A Recommendation For A CJK Typeface That Prints Well

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need A Recommendation For A CJK Typeface That Prints Well: I’m a graphic designer who is working on a number of product manuals that are in Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Can someone recomend a CJK san serif typeface that prints well? The type size ranges from 7 pt to 24 pt....
  10. PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation: Hi there Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too. Linux and...