Windows 10: More ram

Discus and support More ram in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi,guys I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bluesfloyd, Feb 1, 2017.

1. More ram

hi,guys
    I have a dell inspiron m5040 laptop, it seems to load web pages a bit on the slow side, I note its using 4 GB of ram at the moment, I believe I can add a further 4 GB of ram, do you guys think the upgrade to a total of 8 GB of ram would load web pages faster,
    thanks for your time,

:)

bluesfloyd, Feb 1, 2017
  2. Kat M.M Win User

More Dedicated Video Ram

Thank you for the help!

Kat M.M, Feb 1, 2017
  3. More Dedicated Video Ram

Yes, it should usually unless they say dedicated memory is needed.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 1, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

More ram

It could be just the general age of the machine. The hard drive is a 5400rpm one which is rather slow. The wireless card only supports b/g/n and no ac. The ram is clocked at 1066MHz which again is slow these days.

If you decide to add more ram, you'd have to get the same speed. It may be hard to find memory of that speed.

Here are the specifications of the machine.

swarfega, Feb 1, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Basic issue: are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit OS? -a 32 bit OS can only 'see' up to 4Gb RAM.

If you are short of RAM I would expect you to see other evidence of slow performance.

There's a whole raft of possible issues relating to your browsing experience. Let's start with a really simple reality check.
    If you use a different device on the same connection near the same time browsing the same pages is the perceived response speed different?

Factors: your internet speed: other devices using the same connection: how busy the server is....

Make sure your page file settings are default. Check using your task manager how much free RAM you have.

Are you opening one page at a time or many?

What else is your PC doing at the same time?

Is your CPU/disk/network use low when your PC is nominally idle?

Etc...

dalchina, Feb 1, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    My experience suggests that the single biggest upgrade you would ever make would be to go to an SSD (solid state drive). It just blows everything else (more RAM, tweak this, tweak that etc) into the weeds as far as overall performance gains are concerned. Its like comparing a pushbike to a racing car as far as speed of things happening is concerned.

Mooly, Feb 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Granted, but exactly how would that help with rendering speeds of internet pages, or download issues?

dalchina, Feb 1, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

More ram

spunk, Feb 1, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Fair point *Smile I'm trying to recall whether I noticed a difference in the scenarios you mention. I'm sure I did. Everything was just so much snappier. I only run 4Gb memory and page loading on many sites is instant.

My old laptop running 10 really bogs down with many web pages, presumably due to lots of adds and so on. That runs a traditional drive. My speeds are in the 50Mb + region.

Mooly, Feb 1, 2017
  10. hi,
    thanks for your time to answer my post,

The Crucial site say that I can use the ram below, what do you guys think, yes/no? swarfega said it must be the same speed (1066MHz)

thanks, .

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
    CT2294053

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •
    upgrade for Dell Inspiron M5040 system.

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
    CT3302530

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1866 SODIMM
    CT3429836

DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V •

Ballistix Sport 4GB DDR3-1866 SODIMM
    CT4451109

DDR3 PC3-14900 • 10-10-10-30 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V •

bluesfloyd, Feb 2, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    It could technically be different speed but both dimms would run at the slowest dimm's speed. Unless of course you decide to completely replace the ram, then you need to check what memory speeds the motherboard supports.

swarfega, Feb 2, 2017
  12. hi,swarfega
    how do I check what memory speeds the motherboard supports ? where do I find this information?

thanks for you time,

bluesfloyd, Feb 2, 2017
  13. Mooly Win User

More ram

Dell (mine anyway) list the memory type and speed in the user manual. You should also be able to see the actual RAM fitted from the Dell 'system scan' utility (if it has one). I saved all the information from these when I originally got the PC, and very useful they are for referring back to. Once I clean installed I ditched all the Dell bloatware.

More ram [​IMG]

More ram [​IMG]

Mooly, Feb 2, 2017
  14. pparks1 Win User
    I don't expect you to really see a difference in performance of the web browser with more RAM. Windows will use RAM if it's available. The key is not that the RAM i used, but rather if it's available. Windows will cache stuff in RAM to increase performance.

pparks1, Feb 2, 2017
  15. From the specs of the machine, it seems that the motherboard only supports speeds up to 1066 MHz. You can use faster RAM, but it will only clock at 1066. If this were a desktop, you could probably overclock the RAM, but laptops do not allow that sort of thing. You could check in BIOS and see what the maximum speed the machine could clock RAM is, but I think you'll find that the max is 1066.

As for an upgrade to 8 GB, It is supported by the laptop, and I think that it will make your machine perform better (as it uses shared memory with the graphics adapter, and this limits the RAM available to applications). Note that it probably won't affect your download speed, or the speed of loading web pages. That is internet related.

Gurn Blanston, Feb 3, 2017
Thema:

More ram

1. More ram - Similar Threads - More ram

2. How do I open my pc to install more RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I open my pc to install more RAM?: I would like to install more RAM correctly, and I can not find any tutorials on my computer model,; M01-F3214. If you could link me to a site, or give instructions on how to, that would be great. Thank You!...
  3. How do I open my pc to install more RAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I open my pc to install more RAM?: I would like to install more RAM correctly, and I can not find any tutorials on my computer model,; M01-F3214. If you could link me to a site, or give instructions on how to, that would be great. Thank You!...
  4. How do I make Win 11 Ent use the Virtual Memory more than my Physical and GPU RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make Win 11 Ent use the Virtual Memory more than my Physical and GPU RAM?: Hail all:I use quite heavy graphical programs.Often, my Phys. and GPU RAM is filled to the nock.Now, how can I make Windows use my V-Mem more than it does?I have 32GB RAM, 8GB GDDR6, I placed 64 GB on a fast SSD as Virtual Memory set as 8GB min to 64GB max.Been looking on...
  5. How do I make Win 11 Ent use the Virtual Memory more than my Physical and GPU RAM?

How do I make Win 11 Ent use the Virtual Memory more than my Physical and GPU RAM?: Hail all:I use quite heavy graphical programs.Often, my Phys. and GPU RAM is filled to the nock.Now, how can I make Windows use my V-Mem more than it does?I have 32GB RAM, 8GB GDDR6, I placed 64 GB on a fast SSD as Virtual Memory set as 8GB min to 64GB max.Been looking on...
  6. I wanna know how much more RAM can my PC handle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I wanna know how much more RAM can my PC handle: I tried checking it by the 'run' command but it displayed "Max Capacity 0". Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-wanna-know-how-much-more-ram-can-my-pc-handle/358676ba-1474-4fa1-a42c-11769520f230
  7. I wanna know how much more RAM can my PC handle

I wanna know how much more RAM can my PC handle: I tried checking it by the 'run' command but it displayed "Max Capacity 0". Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-wanna-know-how-much-more-ram-can-my-pc-handle/358676ba-1474-4fa1-a42c-11769520f230
  8. I wanna know how much more RAM can my PC handle

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?: Hello, recently I have noticed I have not been using fully my physical ram. In total i have 16GB, but actually i am using only upto 8GB. I would like to change that number to at least 12-14GB, or to fully use my 16GB RAM. System information: https://i.imgur.com/9heXoKQ.png...
  10. How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?: Hello, recently I have noticed I have not been using fully my physical ram. In total i have 16GB, but actually i am using only upto 8GB. I would like to change that number to at least 12-14GB, or to fully use my 16GB RAM. System information: https://i.imgur.com/9heXoKQ.png...