Windows 10: More Restore Points please

Discus and support More Restore Points please in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; A couple of months ago I increased the amount of memory available for Restore Points but now see that Current Usage is 222 MB and the Max Usage is at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

More Restore Points please

A couple of months ago I increased the amount of memory available for Restore Points but now see that Current Usage is 222 MB and the Max Usage is at the default of 1% (18 GB) which seems ample for more Points to be stored. In System Properties > System Protection , Protection is On for my C drive (an SSD) and my internal spinning HD. Despite that, if I list my R Points and click on "Show more restore points" I see this:

More Restore Points please [​IMG]
    There is another one for 08/04/2017 off the top of the window.

Sometimes I get more. Perhaps the list starts again at the beginning of the month. I would like some R Points to be stored for the previous month as well as the current (just in case I need them). In Windows 7 I could have many more R Points stored.

How can I get more Restore Points to be stored please?

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Apr 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 System Restore Show More Restore Points Box Missing and Restore Points Being Deleted or Missing

Recently my PC had a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and went into "Windows 10 Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC” infinite loop death spiral after I let Windows automatically fix a driver problem. I had to reinstall Windows 10 from a Dell recovery image
    and then run Windows Update through the Creator edition. As a result, my PC is in a very clean state right now.

All manual restore points that I create are gone in few days as are any that are automatically created by System Restore. "Turn on system protection" is checked and on for the C: drive. "Max Usage" is about 28 GB. The "Show more restore points" check box
    is missing when I try to do a System Restore. On my laptop running Windows 10, the check box and restore points are not missing.

I have worked in Information Systems for over 28 years, and used Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, 7, and 10 and a few flavors of Unix and Linux. I would like to know how to fix this problem in Windows. It suggests either an unfixed Windows 10 bug or a not-well
    documented Registry fix.

Thank you.

Steven Haymes, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Windows 10 System Restore Show More Restore Points Box Missing and Restore Points Being Deleted or Missing

Hi Anne,

I apologize for the tone my earlier post. I will next post to the TechNet Windows 10 IT Pro Forum. I reviewed some of your other posts, and I see that you are in more of a "tier one" position. I will be carefully monitoring the deletion of restore points
    over the next week. Yesterday and today, I noticed the following:

Created manual restore points, one each day for 3 days between 2018-02-06 and 2018-02-08.

Ran a Scheduled-Task Windows 10 Disk Cleanup on 2018-02-08 and all of the restore points were there after it completed.

Ran an Acronic Backup for PC incremental backup on 2018-02-08 and all of the restore points were delete after it completed.

The next Acronic Backup for PC incremental backup is on 2018-02-12. I will create a manual restore point each day until that time and see what happens. I have also posted to an Acronis forum. What is odd is that I have used Acronic Backup for PC for over
    2 1/3 years and I have not seen the restore points being deleted, and as I originally posted, after reinstalling Windows 10 and the running Windows Update through the Creator edition, my PC is in a very clean state.

Thank you,

Steve

Steven Haymes, Apr 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I'm very surprised you are only using 222Mb.
    How did you determine that?
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    should show your usage.

If you want a reliable means of restoring your system to a point a significant time back, even if it is unbootable or your drive fails, try disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images).

Recently a number of people have experienced difficulty with system restore (one thread on 0x80070091 is over 24 pages long).

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    If you create a full image backup say upon installation, then you can do a differential backup whenever you feel it id needed - usually just before installing new stuff, then this minimises amount of disk storage needed. You can schedule the differential backups if you prefer. I cannot remember but there may be a limit on number of diffs in free version, meaning you have to do a new full image periodically.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    Here is my record of usage:

Whenever I type vsadmin or vsadmin list shadowstorage into the taskbar query field a window opens but immediately closes. (I have W10 Home. Perhaps it is designed not to allow vsadmin tampering).

Yes I use Macrium Reflect, free version. It does a full backup every day and keeps four. I tested it by restoring my system using it and it worked perfectly. I only want to have W10 Restore points available as a backup.

EDIT: By the way, my C drive is on an SSD along with all my programs. All my personal folders are on another internal HD. Perhaps that is the reason for the low Usage figure, although I don't see much logic in that.

Stevekir, Apr 8, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Doing a full Macrium backup every day is decidely wasteful on storage when you can use differential backups and only do a full backup say weekly or monthly.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Run vssadmin list shadowstorage from an admin command prompt:

System restore does not protect your personal files at all.

I do agree with your strategy of keeping personal files away from the OS partition/disk.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2017
  9. Stevekir Win User
    Here is what Macrium states are my Retention Rules:

Macrium's backups are on an external 1 TB HD dedicated to Macrium. The Windows10 Properties shows the backups take up 142 Gb of space (which answers the query about the low reporting of only 222 MB which referred to Windows Backup and Restore rather then Macrium).

I have lots of space to spare on the Macrium HD. I set up Macrium to do one full backup, retaining four, and one Differential, each day,. Presumably the Differentials update the daily full BU during the day, which seems useful. I then manually copy a Full Backup once a month or so to another HD just in case a bug has appeared weeks ago.

So is there much advantage in changing my Macrium rules?

Stevekir, Apr 8, 2017
  10. SIW2 Win User
    Try vssadmin.

11. Stevekir Win User
    Dalchina:

System restore does not protect your personal files at all.

I do agree with your strategy of keeping personal files away from the OS partition/disk.

Many thanks. I am treating your first sentence as the authoritative one I have been seeking for a long time!

Stevekir, Apr 8, 2017
  12. SIW2 Win User
Thema:

1. More Restore Points please - Similar Threads - More Restore Points

2. Restore Points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points: My PC with Windows 10 used to set up a Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update, now it does not. How can I change that back to an automatic Restore Point after every Windows 10 daily Update?...
  3. Restore Point

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point: hello everyone, I created a restore point before installing some display driver and now i think i need to go to old drivers.... i wanted to know if i used that restore point will i lose any packages that i installed after that restore point like opencv ,kera etc submitted by...
  4. Restore Point

Restore Point: Hi, I have win 10 pro installed and want to make a restore point but when I try to acess the app it says something like "windows cannot access the device, path of specific file. The user may not have the necessary permissions to access that item". Sorry, but I have the...
  5. restore point

restore point: restore to two months ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point/b75193ce-d3b2-41ed-9f91-31bc2f3fe5fc
  6. Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restore Points: -in- sI find no restore points and the configure window shows some thing is using that space all the time. I did a manual restore point and it was over written in a very short time.There is no name shown for this use.of the restore space. An others similar HP All-in-one...
  7. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  8. restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    restore points: I keep regular images with Macrium Reflect, free. I create one manually with each new cumulative update. I also make a restore point each week. Due to their poor reliability record, would you say I am wasting my time with these restore points and to just rely upon Macrium?...
  9. Restoring point will it work for Program any more

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring point will it work for Program any more: I need to set up a laptop to recover installed programs I have put on a laptop and subsequently uninstalled by my son, the same goes for settings. I cannot stop my handicapped son age 35 exploring His ACER laptop, until I am presented with it not working, then I have to find...
  10. Never More Than 3 System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Never More Than 3 System Restore Points: Using Win 10 Pro AU 64bit. It seems to me that since installing Win 10 Pro on this system I never have more than 3 System Restore Points. I have over 700GB of free space on the system disk. System restore is set to use up to about 100GB. System Restore claims it is currently...