Windows 10: More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

Discus and support More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I'm needing more HDD storage. Can't decide whether dedicated NAS storage -- expensive -- even 2 bay (empty no HDD supplied) costs around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, May 25, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

Hi there

I'm needing more HDD storage.

Can't decide whether dedicated NAS storage -- expensive -- even 2 bay (empty no HDD supplied) costs around 150 - 200 USD or use a much cheaper external storage box with SATA/ USB3 connectors.

I have 2 X spare USB3 connectors on each of my 2 current NAS server boxes which I rarely use so I'm leaning towards the USB3 box idea. The transfer speed is perfectly fast enough for what I need - in an case this extra storage will be merely for backups / archives while the multi-media files are on the internal HDD's on the servers.

I'm Interested in any thoughts people might have on this one.

My gut feel is to buy this box (USB 3 speed up to 480 mib/s) -- around 40 EUR (excluding HDD's). Will move 2 X 2 TB from one NAS server to this box and install 2 X 4 TB or 2 X 5TB into the server. Once connected I'll rarely have to remove them and the servers are hidden out of the way so I won't even see the extra box. My RAID device will also allow the two external HDD's to be configured into RAID 0 / 1 -- I'll probably use RAID 0 and create 1 logical device as I don't need to worry here about data integrity on this box. It's only recoverable archives that will be stored here.

HornetTek X2-U3 JBOD USB 3.0 (HT-3210U3) - DUAL BAY - JBOD - HDD ENCLOSURES

50 EUR where I am seems a better way for me than a dedicated NAS storage which I don't really need.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 backup fails

As I mentioned I have tried backing up on two different external disks and also to a network location. Every backup attempt fails.

I am using an external drive enclosure connected via USB (tried two different hard disks) and I also tried saving to a UNC on my NAS device.

Roderic Dohleman, May 25, 2016
  3. USB Disk drive no longer works on Desktop, works fine on MS Surface

Everyone thanks for taking you time to help we with this problem.

This morning I have more time to work on this issue. I have two USB drives - really just enclosures that connect via USB and house standard disk drives. I took them both apart and switched the disk drives. The disk drive from the failing USB enclosure
    worked fine in the other enclosure and the disk drive from the working enclosure failed in the same way in the suspect enclosure. My conclusion is that the failing USB enclosure has developed a hardware problem and needs to be retired - neither of these devices
    are exactly new.

I am going to mark the problem resolved.

I think I know what I am going to up on my Christmas list. In the mean time this drives are used only occasionally for backups and I will just manually switch the drives in the working enclosure.

JKevinBrady, May 25, 2016
  4. More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

I was going to suggest the NAS until I read that you have two already. I use multiple computers, even in my own home, so a NAS is my only option. I like the idea of moving the 2 TB drives to the external and replacing them with larger drives in the NAS. I have a 4-bay WD EX4 and I love it.

DeaconFrost, May 25, 2016
Thema:

More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB

1. More storage - NAS or enclosure via USB - Similar Threads - More storage NAS

2. USB Storage Blocking with Exceptions via Intune

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Storage Blocking with Exceptions via Intune: Hi,We block storage USBs for students, but we would like to whitelist certain storage USB devices that are learning tools typically, IoT devices for coding classes. I want to whitelist individual storage devices. I cannot open up storage USBs to the group of technology...
  3. Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?: I have a total of 7 western digital hard drives, 6 8TB my books and 1 16TB my book duo. It has become quite a project getting them all working properly with various usb 3 hubs. Can I take the hard drives out of their enclosure and add them to a NAS such as a synology...
  4. More storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    More storage: Are there any apps that can be removed from my HP Stream because I'm always freeing up space, and how can I get change my backup from C drive to F drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-storage/09823ffa-e6d1-49a0-a100-dfdc737a5f08
  5. Network attached storage (NAS)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network attached storage (NAS): I have a D-Link DNS-325 NAS and now I can not see the disk in file explorer. I have tried several solutions but nothing works. This NAS is where I do all my backups plus store all of my photos and videos. I know the NAS is working as I did a backup today and all went fine....
  6. USB Enclosure Disconnecting Alot

USB Enclosure Disconnecting Alot: Hello All Toshiba 2TB, USB enclosure, connected to front available 2.0 port, worked fine for a long while, and then this evening started disconnecting, and wondering why that is happening? Antivirus in use currently Avast Free 19.1.2360 USB devices connected 1 USB 3.0...
  7. Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS

Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS: I've got a 1.5 TB Samsung Story Station Plus Connected to a Netgear Readynas Ultra 4 using USB 2 (606 GB used, some 129K files in 9600 folders). It is powered by external PS. The drive is shared using Netgear's software. After adding quite a lot of new files to the drive...
  8. Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB

Issue Connecting Internal HD in Enclosure via USB: I am using a Purex hard drive enclosure ( https://www.amazon.com/PUREX-Technol.../dp/B00AI41RCS) with a 3tb Western Digial internal hard drive that I just bought in it and trying to use it to create a system image. It is connected via usb to my pc. The drive inside is...
  9. Solved - More NAS issues.

Solved - More NAS issues.: I'm trying to set up a NAS to be accessible on a Windows 10 box. Looking around, I see I'm far from the only one having issues with this sort of thing. It's a new device (well, newly installed, anyway) - a D-Link DNS-320L that's hopefully going to be the backup device for...
  10. Create a storage space with parity redundancy in a USB enclosure?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a storage space with parity redundancy in a USB enclosure?: Hello, how are you? I am wanting to create a storage pool with parity redundancy in windows 10 storage spaces with 3 drives. 2 for data and one for parity. I will be wanting to be able to later expand the pool by adding more data drives as the storage needs increase. To...