Windows 10: More Windows 10 networking issues.

Discus and support More Windows 10 networking issues. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I wonder about Windows 10 sometimes. First I had issues with it crashing when I ran IE11. With the folks here's suggestions I've been using Edge.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jayv2251 Win User

More Windows 10 networking issues.

I wonder about Windows 10 sometimes. First I had issues with it crashing when I ran IE11. With the folks here's suggestions I've been using Edge. Problem sorta solved with networking. Next I buy a dual band router because the current one in the home is 14 years old, and uncle insists on using it. I get him to agree to let cable company replace modem with modem/router, so he's happy and I run Ethernet to my bedroom/living room moving my router to there, then hardwire Roku and PS3. Things work good for a while, then I get hit with Trojan, after many MANY people here told me Windows Defend and Windows Firewall were "good enough".

So I run out, grab a 2017 version of Kaspersky Internet Suite. Three days after installing it, their "safe wallet" no longer allows me to logon to my bank account unless I turn it off. (Kaspersky still provides safe web so I feel okay with this). Now another few days go by and it's like pulling teeth to connect to the Internet again!

This is VERY frustrating! I work from home, although I guess you could say I'm "lucky" because I'm in between contracts right now, but my daughter still has to do here Khan 7th grade math everyday and video's are taking forever to load. FYI...when either of us work I move laptop into "office" and use a hard wired connection, it's required by companies that offer work from home positions for security issues.

There has to be something going inside Windows. My last work from home job required I used Chrome. While because of a non-disclosure agreement I deleted all their materials but kept the browser. I even tried that and I cannot connect, wired or wirelessly...or if I do, it takes a ridiculously long time for pages to load. Now I have to pray when I hit sent this question will load. After I do that, I'm going to attempt to grab cCleaner and run that. Any other suggestions?

:)

jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

More wi-fi issues with Windows 10

Any one of the updates could do it.

As you are on a desktop it may not do any good as you do not have power problems like a laptop.

lacrumb, Feb 22, 2017
  3. More wi-fi issues with Windows 10

That's my point. Why did Windows alter the power-options I had so carefully set on my desktop?

I think it is reasonable to expect that once I choose a setting it should not change without my knowing.

Windows "knows" this is not a phone or laptop or tablet. And for years Windows knew what I wanted the power settings to be. Why did it all of a sudden develop Alzheimer's? And why should a product suffering from dementia be allowed to play with my customization?

Paul Kislanko, Feb 22, 2017
  4. jayv2251 Win User

Okay, ran cCleaner. It found some junk as expected, cleaned and cleared all that out. Then checked registry, it also found a bunch of broken .dll's. Once that was all cleaned, I booted back up. It seems things are fixed now, but after I "re-installed" Edge, I lost ALL my current favorites I've stored including a list of several dozen companies I had found that I wanted to apply to. Please tell me that that data isn't lost and is stored somewhere on my system someplace!!!

I forgot to mention in my intial post that while both Chrome and Edge had a heck of a time getting and staying online. Steam did not, nor did Upwork (a freelance work site) as they both loaded and connected properly. Right now I consider the issue possibly fixed, so I'm still open for suggestions on how to get Edge working right as well as finding all my current favorites.

jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017
  5. BRKKAB Win User
    Try this. Restart your pc. At the login screen hold down the shift key on your keyboard and click on the icon on the bottom right side of the screen and click on Restart. On the next screen click on the bottom icon on the left side of the window. Now click on I think it's called Startup Options on the bottom left side then on the right click on Restart again. Then at the next window press the 4 key to go into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode run a full scan with Kaspersky and remove all threats it finds. Now restart your pc into Windows and see if anythings improved now.

BRKKAB, Feb 22, 2017
  6. jayv2251 Win User
    I'll try that safe mode option in just a bit. Before I do I'd like to update a few things since my last rather frantic post. After I ran cCleaner, Edge came back as if I had just installed it with none of my most recent favorites stored. I know I mentioned that in a previous post, what is odd, when I opened Edge up from the menu, then pinned it to the tool bar, I then moved it back to where I had it orginally placed it. For a brief moment all my favorites and my current favorites bar went back to how I had it. When I closed Edge, assuming that it would stay on the tool bar after I had pinned it, it didn't stay and I had to re-open it from menu again. When I opened it again, it was back to square one like a fresh install. All my favorites gone. Since I briefly had all them, it has to be there someplace, no?

Sorry for the long post folks, but I NEED this fixed so I can continue job hunting! Which leads me to a possible solution....? Because of the lack of funds and a desire to provide some type of entertainment for my family I've "cut the cord" so to speak. To do so we are utilizing a Roku 3, Netflix and I run Kodi off my laptop with an HDMI cable to tv when we all can agree on what to watch. How does this fit in with the issue I'm having? Well, it seems it might be a conflict with VPN's.

In order to watch some of the European content I need to use a VPN because they're region specific. Before I bought Kaspersky I had signed up with ExpressVPN not knowing that when I installed Kaspersky it also offers a VPN service...at a much better price I must say! After my last post I thought I'd take a break and watch some tv via Kodi. Loaded the vpn, then Kodi, didn't have a problem at all getting online. In fact Edge and Chrome didn't have a problem either...so long as the VPN is loaded.

I think this is further complicated by the fact that even after the cable company came out and installed a modem/router, my wife's uncle still insists on using his 14yr wep encrypted, g spec router. That's wired into the modem/router and I'm on another port with a 50' cable to my living space. Because my laptop can still see his router's wireless signal, Kaspersky is constantly telling me to use their VPN service for safety reasons. UGH!

jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    So you have old g router then you have connected new router to via cable then cable from new router to PC is that correct? Are routers connected LAN port to LAN port or other? Which router is doing DHCP? Set your DNS to 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222.

Open a CMD prompt type
    Ipconfig /all
    Then type
    Tracert 194.119.131.66
    Post results

Samuria, Feb 22, 2017
  8. More Windows 10 networking issues.

Download Recuva and when you perform a scan, look for this location:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\ User\Default\Favorites

It is better to login with MS account, so Edge can syn your favorites or sync with Google in Chrome.

TairikuOkami, Feb 22, 2017
  9. jayv2251 Win User
    Samura...... His old router is directly connected to the modem/router with a short 3' Ethernet cable, on port 1. I have a 50' Ethernet cable ran down the hallway into my living space, and that's attached to port 2 of the modem/router. From my router I have hard wired my Roku 3 and PS3.

TairikuOkami......Thanks for the suggestion. I was coming back to ask if I should attempt to go back to a restore point or if I should just run repair from advanced features and hope nothing else gets messed up. My only issue with restoring to an earlier point, it's the day before the Trojan hit and I didn't have Kaspersky installed yet. Your solution avoids having to attempt this.

jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017
  10. jayv2251 Win User
    Did a quick scan in Recuva, didn't find the file. Doing deep scan now. Figured out by going to advance settings I can put that file: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\ User\Default\Favorites in the search box instead of scrolling through 1000's of files. Hope this works!

jayv2251, Feb 22, 2017
  11. jayv2251 Win User
    Did deep scan, and that took 4 hours to do. Found something like 2 million files and ignored 400k more. But now I feel REALLY foolish, I went to advanced options and pasted in the above file....and forgot to change "yourusername" to mine! Before I spend another 4 hours doing a scan, can I paste that file into the advanced box...making sure I change the username to mine, and have it look specifically for that file in Recuva? Towards the end of that file it says 'MicrosoftEdge\user' should I change this to my name too? I was just remembering something from back in the good old dos days, can I use a wild card? Say like "*\user\default\favorites"

In the meantime, I think I did fix the original issue of Edge not connecting. I'll know for sure very soon, because even if I can't get my favorites restored, I MUST get back to job hunting again!

jayv2251, Feb 23, 2017
  12. jayv2251 Win User
    Not sure what else to do at this point. There is a restore point saved on 2/17, the day before the Trojan hit. I'm wondering now if I should use that restore point, then reinstall Kaspersky, then finally running cCleaner again, making sure I don't let it fix that favorites file folder...or even back up my favorites?

The only other option I can think if is run Windows Repair and see if the files are restored or not.

Which would you do?

jayv2251, Feb 24, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

please post results requested in post 5

Samuria, Feb 24, 2017
  14. jayv2251 Win User
    Samuria.... I really do understand what you are asking. However, Edge no longer has the issue of not being able to find websites. As it turned out a VPN service I use would load on boot, then offering me the option of turning it on or not. Once I disabled it via task manager, the issue with networking was fixed.

The problem now becomes my missing Favorites folder. Before I disabled that VPN, I ran cCleaner, clearing out cookies, cache, temp files and so on. Then I had it clean up my registry. It was after cCleaner cleaned up the registry and the following reboot that Edge basically reinstalled it's self with none of my favorites.

And odd thing then happen. After I opened Edge via the menu. I pinned onto the bottom tool bar. I have my pinned icons set in a particular order for efficiencies sake. When I moved the "new" Edge where it use to be and then opened it. Everything I had set they way I wanted in Edge appeared, including my favorites. I went back to regular usage at this point for an hour or 3. Just to be safe, I had Kaspersky re-scan my system. Didn't find anything, but chose to reboot again. When I got back to desktop. Edge was gone again, and I had to open it up and re-pin it to the tool bar for the second time. When I opened it up I was back a square one again, with a fresh "install" of Edge with no favorites file. (sigh)

Unless someone that has training in Windows 10 and Edge comes up with a different solution, I'm left with the two options I left in my last post. Either use the restore point from the day before the Trojan hit, or attempting a repair via advanced recovery options. Now I'd like to also add, what if I were to do both? Which would you do first?

If I end up not being able to restore my favorites file, I'll have to hustle and start rebuilding my links. To avoid this issue future what would be the best way to back up files like my favorites. Just owning Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, we all have OneDrive and more storage via Google's Drive clouds. I'd like to start utilizing those features as now this is effecting my ability to work.

jayv2251, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. More Windows 10 networking issues. - Similar Threads - More networking issues

2. Windows 10 Network Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Network Issues: Windows updated and my internet will not work now. I have tried updating my drivers numerous times and it says my default gateway not available. How can I fix this?...
  3. Windows 10 network issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 network issues.: I have a laptop and pc. Both are Windows 10.My laptop connects to the WiFi fine.My pc has had issues since I installed a new WiFi adapter.I have since replaced it with my old one but the issues still remain.I have been using an ethernet cable to connect my laptop to my pc and...
  4. Network issue in Windows 10

Network issue in Windows 10: I have a home network with a workstation operating Windows 10 Pro, a laptop operating Windows 10 Home, a Surface Book operating Windows 10 Pro, and a Thecus network storage unit operation on Linux. The workstation and the laptop can see the Thecus Server in the Network...
  5. Windows 10 Network issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Network issues: Hey guys, so I have a spesific problem regarding my internet speed on my recently switched deskop(new hardware exept of HDDs and SSD). After installing all drivers from the MSI website (I have an B550M MAG), my internet speed was down to 10Mib/s(download) even though I have...
  6. Windows 10 network issues

Windows 10 network issues: Yesterday on my pc, my internet started playing up and i couldnt load anything up or play any games. So i rebooted pc and restarted router but nothing changed. The wifi works on my laptop and phone just fine but on pc it just randomly stopped working. Then the neighbours let...
  7. Windows 10 network issues

Windows 10 network issues: Yesterday on my pc, my internet started playing up and i couldnt load anything up or play any games. So i rebooted pc and restarted router but nothing changed. The wifi works on my laptop and phone just fine but on pc it just randomly stopped working. Then the neighbours let...
  8. Windows 10 Not Updating and more issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Not Updating and more issues: Windows 10 is not working and I have tried everything that I could think of on Youtube. The update is Windows 10, Version 1909. I keep getting this error code that says (0x8007007f). Here is a picture for reference if needed. https://imgur.com/gallery/5e36bC4 I’ve also had...
  9. Windows 10 Network Issues

Windows 10 Network Issues: Hello, I have been having a lot of trouble with Windows 10 lately. The wired ethernet connection keeps alternating between on, unidentified, and unplugged when it is plugged in the whole time. I have reinstalled windows several times and tried many online guides with no...
  10. Windows 10 1803, OSRSS, Networking and more

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1803, OSRSS, Networking and more: It appears Windows updates no longer allows you to delay the update to version 1803. Am I wrong and/or how can I block this update and if so, does MS still give security updates to 1703? Update to 1803 now installs this silly service OSRSS. They should call it JAK -...