Windows 10: Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing

Discus and support Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by cytherian, Sep 20, 2016.

1. cytherian Win User

Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing

It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews I've read over the years usually conclude that free is best, because the "extra stuff" you get really don't help all that much unless you are prone to catching viruses.

So... it all comes down to risky on-line behavior.

That provokes this question: What's the safest & secure way to browse the Internet, without catching a virus? The idea being, that when you go "off the beaten path" to a site you don't normally view, is there a "sandbox" way to browse the site such that you will be able to:
    • Get a warning if the site is unsafe, or seems like it is trying to run malware
    • Be completely protected -- meaning, scripts and such can't run and the site is totally unable to do anything

Any advice on how that can be done? I'm sure there are techniques out there, but before I start investing time to research, maybe someone here has already done it and can share. Thanks!

:)

cytherian, Sep 20, 2016

2. MY N5530XM AFTER A NIGHT

Uninstall the anti-virus. Apps like that slow the phone and cause issues.

If you are sensible about where you get your apps from you will never need an anti-virus (or anti-malware) app. You cannot get a virus/malware under normal web browsing.

psychomania---01, Sep 20, 2016
  3. Xircal Win User
    Xircal, Sep 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, some quick thoughts:
    Sandboxie - will sandbox your browser. Have a look.
    Avast (free) - now comes with its own sandboxed browser Avast safezone

Extensions like WOT indicate site status, and Avast (free) gives a clear go-no-go indication (green ticks)

Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing [​IMG]

Firefox has an extension that will block scripts completely.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Kol12 Win User
    Does Sandboxie interfere with other AV products?

Kol12, Sep 21, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  7. All major browsers are sandboxed these days, but additional sandbox will help, if browser's sandbox fails.
    As you pointed out, scripts are the main problems, so using something to disable them, really helps, like:

NoScript for Firefox / ScriptSafe - Chrome Web Store / NotScripts extension - Opera add-ons

You should also disable running scripts locally by disabling WSH, it prevents scripts used by 99% of malware.

Microsoft - Disabling Windows Script Host

Additionally removing powershell (ON by default) prevents the new malware, especially ransomware.

https://securelist.com/blog/research/72417/the-rise-of-net-and-powershell-malware

Using a safer DNS also helps enormously, it blocks an access to known malicious webpages, even hidden requests.

Top 10 Best Public DNS Servers & Fastest DNS Servers 2016

And then there are ADs. *Sad That is a sensitive subject here, but it has to be mentioned, since malvertising is becoming a serious issue, even Microsoft webpages were used to spread malware this year and not just any malware, ransomware.

Big-name sites hit by rash of malicious ads spreading crypto ransomware [Updated] | Ars Technica

Malvertising Campaign Using RIG EK Detected Pushing CrypMIC Ransomware

For the record, I do not run AV nor a firewall and I am not afraid visiting any webpage with my setup. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Sep 21, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ransomware:
    Bitdefender offers a free Anti-Ransomware program, and then there's
    CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention Foolish IT

Note that using disk imaging routinely can be regarded as an anti-ransomware tactic, as it means you can restore your PC to a working state even if your disks/files/ folders have been encrypted.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  9. TairikuOkami, Sep 21, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    - which is why I also mentioned disk imaging.

One thing you learn- financial scammers beat the authorities 95% of the time. Where there's a will... for example, apparently the USA's best anti-hacking cyber tools are on sale...

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing - Similar Threads - anti virus anti

2. Anti malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti malware: I have Windows 10. I think my computer is infected with malware. I ran malwarebytes and it did not show anything. When i scanned using windows defender, it showed potentially unwanted app PUA...piriform bundler. I have no idea what it is. I tried "Actions" to remove, but...
  3. How to delete Seguarzo Anti Virus Malware if anti viruses not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete Seguarzo Anti Virus Malware if anti viruses not working: I CAnt delete Seguarzo anti virus says i need perms from administrator. when my account is an admin account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-seguarzo-anti-virus-malware-if-anti/1c05a4a1-c4e2-41ae-a3eb-e396028ed73b
  4. Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?

Do anti virus and anti malware programs do the same thing?: I've read in the past that one shouldn't run more than one anti viral app at a time to avoid slowing down my desktop or run into conflicts. I've been running Webroot SecureAnywhere simultaneously with MalwareBytes Premium going with the theory that they do different things....
  5. anti virus malware

anti virus malware: what is the best anti virus malware product to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-malware/071e19f9-9d23-4806-8462-06b6fc936657"
  6. Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?

Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware review websites?: Hello Which are the most credible anti-virus/anti-malware software review websites? Thanks J 139926
  7. Anti-malware

Anti-malware: My computer has been acting real buggy. Lagging a lot. Windows Defender doesn't find anything. Is there a better anti-malware I can use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-malware/76a2edee-f716-424e-ad5f-9873a1c0ffa8"
  8. anti virus and malware protection

anti virus and malware protection: Windows Security is now recognised now as being more than adequate for protection from viruses malware ransomeware ect. Will this eventually negate the need for third party software and what will happen to the likes of Bitdefender Kaspersky McAfee etc. Will people still...
  9. Anti virus and malware protection

Anti virus and malware protection: Is the Windows Defender very effective protection against any harms that may be? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/anti-virus-and-malware-protection/6a679aa5-3f2b-4172-84f6-b812aa914cfb
  10. Anti-virus and Anti-malware??

Anti-virus and Anti-malware??: 1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are they all different things...