Windows 10: Most apps and start menu won't work. Error 0xc0000022

Discus and support Most apps and start menu won't work. Error 0xc0000022 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I really don't know what could be causing this, but it has something to do with corrupt Windows files. This morning before any of this happened my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kishmond, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Kishmond Win User

Most apps and start menu won't work. Error 0xc0000022

I really don't know what could be causing this, but it has something to do with corrupt Windows files. This morning before any of this happened my computer was stuck on a black screen on startup with nothing but eternally spinning white dots. That was fixed by booting in recovery mode.

Now I can log in but almost all of my apps fail to start, showing "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application." The start menu, search bar, and message window simply can't be clicked. It would be easier to list the programs that do work - Chrome (thankfully), iTunes, Notepad, command prompt, powershell, other simple programs.

I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm still stumped. Here's what I've tried:

• Running sfc /scannow. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. An excerpt from the log:
    Code: 2017-08-28 23:29:51, Info CSI 000061f9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:18]'Command Prompt.lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-CommandPrompt-Shortcut, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file cannot be checked 2017-08-28 23:29:51, Info CSI 000061fa [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:17]'Fax Recipient.lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-Fax-Client-Applications, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file cannot be checked 2017-08-28 23:29:51, Info CSI 000061fb [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:17]'Shows Desktop.lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-explorer-shortcuts, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file cannot be checked 2017-08-28 23:29:51, Info CSI 000061fc [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:28]'01a - Windows PowerShell.lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-explorer-shortcuts, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, file cannot be checked[/quote]
    • Reinstalling Windows Apps in Powershell
    • Creating a new user. The welcome tour thing crashed my computer due to the same error.
    • Repairing my installations of Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 through 2015
    • Running Process Monitor. That crashes too.
    • Attempting to use Windows Troubleshooting to repair my installation. No change.
    • Enabling Windows feature ''DirectPlay" under "Legacy Components"

If anyone has any other ideas I would love suggestions. Other people have experienced this problem, it seems, but only in limited scope. Just a few programs. I realize that reinstalling Windows will probably fix it, but I just did that a couple months ago and don't want to reinstall everything. *Sad

:)

Kishmond, Aug 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 will not boot in safe mode or regular. Prior to this, my laptop was showing the 0xc0000022 error when I tried to open any program

So when I try to boot windows, it goes through the initial boot procedure. However, when I wait for it to load, it goes to a black screen with the loading symbol. It stays and I can't access my laptop. I have tried to boot through safe mode, but to no
    solution -- it goes to a black screen. Prior to this, my laptop was showing the 0xc0000022 error when I tried to open any program. The 0xc0000022 error started when I installed ccleaner and ran it. Sfc/scannow won't work. Please answer, I'm desperate!

Supremeafh, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Windows Calculator on Windows 10 doesn't work

I uninstalled, reinstalled per instructions and the calculator will still no open. No error, the app just won't start. Even clicking the app on the start menu won't open. Very frustrating that such a simple thing on windows 10 does not work!!!

GregWunderlich, Aug 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, given your SFC failures, and the first symptom you mention (2nd sentence) I suggest you perform an in-place upgrade repair install preceded by the steps listed below.
    This keeps your data, programs, and most settings.

I will assume you are using the Creator's Build (else you would have to use the iso appropriate to your build)
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your disk:

1. Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

And with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

2. From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure, or user account corruption.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

** If you have the Creator's build, use the current iso.
    If you have the Anniversary build, use an Anniversary build boot disk or iso.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium. However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - you keep all your programs
    - you keep all your personal data

However: if you have installed some universal apps on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an obscure error message that you can not keep your apps because they are in an unsupported directory.

"You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory"

- all/most associations will be unchanged
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Aug 28, 2017
  5. Kishmond Win User
    Thank you, the in-place upgrade worked. It seems something went wrong installing the Creators Update.

Kishmond, Aug 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good news. Today will be my first Creator's upgrade...!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Most apps and start menu won't work. Error 0xc0000022 - Similar Threads - apps start menu

2. error #0xc0000022

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error #0xc0000022: My PC response time to commands is very slow. Under "Kernel Event Tracing" 607 errors are logged. Under "Event 2" "CldFltLog" appears. Beneath that is error # 0xc0000022. Is this what is causing slow response times? How do I fix this?...
  3. 0xC0000022 error

0xC0000022 error: I keep getting 0xC0000022 error when opening Adobe Acrobat reader. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0xc0000022-error/ade31d55-cac5-4b59-bd59-c986198b3f6e
  4. Error 0xc0000022

Error 0xc0000022: Hello, I've encounted an error with the code 0xc0000022, and then it says "Error at initialization of bundled DLL: WibuCm32.dll". I've tried to register WibuCm32.dll but it fails. There is one post with the same question in this forum but it is locked and still has no valid...
  5. Start menu won't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu won't work: Start menu won't work with left click but will open with right click. Started 2 days ago. Tried adding another user account but it won't let me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-wont-work/4e5e8bc5-351d-4d11-8841-80266ca35f11
  6. Error 0xc0000022

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error 0xc0000022: Hi My system is a Dell Inspiron 12gig Ram Windows 10. Everything works great on it. Only one small problem. Whenever I open a .pdf file I get the Error 0xc0000022. BUT, the file opens perfectly well and I am able to use Adobe Acrobat DC to annotate or do what ever with the...
  7. Start Menu Most Used - App Stuck & Won't Remove :/

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Most Used - App Stuck & Won't Remove :/: Hello all, Using Windows 10 v1511. I have recently uninstalled an app by right-clicking on the start menu and selecting Uninstall. However, the tile (albeit a blank one) is stuck in the Most Used list in the Start Menu. No matter how many times I right-click on it and...
  8. cortana, start menu, and "modern" app won't work

in Windows 10 Support
    cortana, start menu, and "modern" app won't work: Microsoft edge doesn't even have an icon on the taskbar, basically all "modern" apps just don't work and nothing happens when I click the start menu or cortana. I attempted a powershell solution but got nothing but errors. What can I do? regestry fix? microsoft fixit? every...
  9. failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022

in Windows 10 Support
    failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022: Okay so after downloading the latest cumilative update, not the creators update I got this error Session "Microsoft.Windows.UniversalNotificationPlatform" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022. Any idea how to fix this? 81583
  10. Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open: hi all my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications) opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open") clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows...
Tags: