Windows 10: Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky

Discus and support Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Been using Win10 for many, many months running with windows 7 format . This morning On logging in with password, it recognized me by username, BUT it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hfmann, Jul 1, 2016.

1. hfmann Win User

Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky

Been using Win10 for many, many months running with windows 7 format . This morning On logging in with password, it recognized me by username, BUT it then said "Preparing Windows". The desktop had only about 10 of the 50+ icons. Background image is gone. Start menu has none of the things I originally set up. I had Cortana turned off, but the taskbar says "I'm Cortana, ask me anything" and the task bar icons are gone except for Task View, Edge (which I had replaced with Explorer), and File Explorer.

I'm the only user, but other than welcoming me by name, It almost seems like it started up for a different user like guest.
    All apps shows all my programs there, and the desktop Recycle bin has things I deleted last night.

Yikes - before I mess around doing a complete restore to yesterday morning's image backup and losing yesterday's work, can anybody HELP!

Thanks,
    Hal

:)

hfmann, Jul 1, 2016
  2. NattsC Win User

Menu start doesn't work

Time and icons that i used to have on my bottom toolbar are gone. Flag for start menu doesn't work, so doesn't the searching toolbar. I can't personalize my desktop and i can't get to desktop settings. I can't get anywhere in fact.

NattsC, Jul 1, 2016
  3. Win 10 Creators update Dec 12 2017

just applied update and most desktop icons gone plus default programmes disappeared - how can I get them back?

JohnFielder2, Jul 1, 2016
Thema:

Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky

1. Most desktop icons gone + start menu wacky - Similar Threads - desktop icons gone

2. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu: First off, a little background information. This is a brand new Dell PC i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 512GB that came with Windows 11 22H2 Home pre-installed; I subsequently upgraded to Pro as we are in a domain environment. After a few days of use strange things began happening, desktop...
  3. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu: First off, a little background information. This is a brand new Dell PC i5, 8GB RAM, SSD 512GB that came with Windows 11 22H2 Home pre-installed; I subsequently upgraded to Pro as we are in a domain environment. After a few days of use strange things began happening, desktop...
  4. Desktop Icons blank/distorted; Taskbar icons gone; No start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Most of desktop icons gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most of desktop icons gone.: I signed off normally yesterday. When I signed up most of icons on my desktop were gone. I thought something bad happened but when I went into desktop folder in OneDrive everything was there but it didn't appear on my desktop....
  6. MOST Favorite Icons are gone

in Browsers and Email
    MOST Favorite Icons are gone: Since the Creators update it seems about 90% of my favorite icons are gone and have reverted to the IE browser Icon. Not the little blue round one the one that looks like a paper with the IE logo on it. I tried resetting IE I tried deleting ALL the icons and making new...
  7. Start Menu Icons Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Gone: I want to start using my start menu, but I don't remember how to add icons back. I tried to just drag them but that doesn't work. Also, they just all disappeared randomly. Not sure why. Screenshot 33575
  8. Sleep shortcut has gone wacky

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep shortcut has gone wacky: Hi, I followed the thread started in Mar. 2016 to set up a shortcut to put our computers to sleep. After turning off Hibernation (powercfg -h off, from a cmd prompt ran as administrator) I set this shortcut "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState...
  9. Desktop icons have wacky placement on CU?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons have wacky placement on CU?: Hey guys, This is a strange one. Yes, I know my desktop is messy. But that's not really the point. I made a short 1-minute video showing the problem, and it's much easier to show that way than trying to explain in writing and screenshots. See below: IBsmW6nishU...
  10. Start menu icons gone for some programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons gone for some programs: yo! All of a sudden the battle.net, chrome and evernote lost it's icons but they still work. how, why? 38027