Windows 10: "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic

Discus and support "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; 1) I use Word much more often than others in the list. Why is it not displaying? 2) Can I add to the number of apps which are displayed? 39357 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AshleyQuick, Jan 31, 2016.

1. "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic

1) I use Word much more often than others in the list. Why is it not displaying?

2) Can I add to the number of apps which are displayed?

:)

AshleyQuick, Jan 31, 2016

2. Most Used list in Start Menu

The new Desktop and the changes to the Start Menu in Windows 10 can be quite a challenge for a user migrating from Windows 7. It is important therefore to customise the displays to suit the way you wish to work and to give easy access to the
    programmes you use regularly.

If you use two or three programmes much of the time you may find it convenient to pin programmes to the Taskbar and use Jump Lists. In the first image below you will see a total of 15 programme icons including Excel, Word, Internet Explorer,
    and other less known programmes pinned to the Taskbar. It is for you to choose what appears there. What follows next is one way how to do it.

The program files for the principal Office 2010 components are:

Excel = excel.exe

Outlook = outlook.exe

Word = winword.exe

If you need other exe file details please ask.

You can open or run any program e.g., Excel, by selecting the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type excel.exe and press the ENTER
    key. An Excel work sheet opens and an icon is temporarily added to the taskbar, usually at the bottom of the screen. Right click on the icon and select
    Pin to taskbar. The next time you want to open Excel you click the icon. If you right click the icon you will see recent Excel files you have opened. You can click any recent file to open the file. If you want to be able to
    access a particular Excel file regularly right click the file and select
    Pin to this list
    . The right click options linked to the taskbar icons are known as Jump lists. You can use these procedures with Word, Outlook and many other programmes.

You can customise the Desktop by deciding which panels appear on your Desktop and their position. Click the
    three lines 1 icon in the top left corner of the desktop and then click
    All apps 2 at the bottom of the left pane.

"Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic [​IMG]

Click A 3 at the top of the list of programmes beginning with the letter A to get an A to Z index. Click
    M to get a list of programmes beginning with the letter
    M.

Click Microsoft Office 4 to expand it to see Microsoft Excel 2010. Right click
    Microsoft Excel 2010 5 and click
    Pin to Start (the drop down menu also offers another way to Pin to Taskbar). An Excel panel appears on your Desktop. If you do not immediately see it, scroll down the screen as far as you can go. It will be
    there. You can then drag any icon to an empty space on your screen. If you want to see Excel in the top left of the Desktop. You will need to move the existing item occupying the place to another position on the screen so that the space is vacant. You can
    then move Excel there.

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 31, 2016
  3. soneil12 Win User
    Most Used list in Start Menu

When I upgraded to Windows 10 one thing I was glad to see the return of was the list of most used programs. In Windows 7 I found that this was my most common way to open programs. I especially liked using the recent documents jump list that would appear
    next to each one.

Problem is it doesn't seem to work properly in Windows 10. I've been using Windows 10 since a week or 2 after it was released. In all that time my recent used programs list still only shows half a dozen generic options that I never use, such as 'Get started',
    'people' etc'. It never actually shows the programs that I do frequently open from my start menu such as Word and Excel. I would like these in particular to show up in my most used list so that I can us the jump list to quickly get to recent documents that
    were opened in those applications. I know I can right click any program in the list and choose to remove it from that list but that doesn't make the programs I actually do use a lot appear in there.

So I guess my main questions.

Firstly is it possible to increase the number of entries in the list since I only have a few entries followed by a lot of blank space.

Secondly, is there a way to force certain applications to appear in the list? Weeks and weeks of frequently opening certain applications via icons in the start menu and on the desktop hasn't made them show up in the most used list.

soneil12, Jan 31, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

"Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic

1) You can try resetting the "Most used" apps by turning them off and on (Go to Settings -> Personalisation -> Start); when you next use Word it should appear there.

2) Once you have expanded the size of the window the number of Most used apps increases to 6 but no more.

philc43, Jan 31, 2016
  5. I had Word as a tile...Once I unpinned it from the tiles, it appeared in the "Most used' list.

AshleyQuick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic

1. "Most used" list (in Start Menu) is problematic - Similar Threads - used list Start

2. Start Menu List

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu List: It's already listed on the Start Menu just below my User Icon (red arrow), so does anyone know how to remove the Settings icon from the Start Menu list (red circle)? [img] 173782
  3. Reset "don't show in this list" for Most used apps in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset "don't show in this list" for Most used apps in Start Menu: The Most used list in the Start menu can be a convenient way to launch your favourite apps. Initially when you first add Most used to the Start Menu it is pre-populated with a default set of apps, but as you open other apps the most frequently used ones will rise to the top...
  4. Most used apps disappeared from Start Menu

Most used apps disappeared from Start Menu: Today I noticed that "most used apps" no longer appeared in my Start Menu. I toggled the three bars in the upper right corner, but they did not appear. Then I checked Settings-Personalization-Start to make sure that "most used apps" were still enabled. They are. My Win 10 is...
  5. Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing

Windows 10 - Start Menu - Most used Apps listing: I have enabled the ALL my Settings > Personalisation > Start options. My Settings > Privacy >General options are also ALL enabled. I do not have most used listing or recently added listing displayed. Please help me fix this problem...
  6. Most used apps list in start menu appears and disappears randomly upon restart.

Most used apps list in start menu appears and disappears randomly upon restart.: When i restart my windows 10 pro the most used apps list in the start menu disappears and appears randomly. sometimes after a restart it disappears and when i lunch any app it gets added to the most used list and then when i restart again it appears empty again. And in other...
  7. Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?

Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?: If so, could someone please show me how to do it? I removed a couple of apps from there and they either get replaced by a random program or disappear. 14935
  8. How can I make a portable app show in the "Most used" Start Menu list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I make a portable app show in the "Most used" Start Menu list?: I've opened this app enough to determine that Windows 10 must not recognize portable apps/exe's the way it recognizes installed apps....thus, portable apps/exe's do not show up in the "Most used" list. Can anyone think of a trick to ensure that it's recognized? 78583
  9. Programs Used List in Start Menue

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Used List in Start Menue: How do a get a program that I use quite often to get on the "Most Used Programs List". I realize that I probably have to use it more for it to appear on the list. But I want to know if I can get it there even though the program is not used as often as the others. TIA...
  10. Can i modified the most used apps list in start menu of my Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i modified the most used apps list in start menu of my Windows 10?: I accidentally remove all in the list by clicking "Don't Show in the List" all apps is now not listed to the most used app list. How can i undo it? I try to turn it off and on on the settings "Show most used app list" option but does not undo it.*cry*cry*Sad 100%x Note:...