Windows 10: Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation

Discus and support Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So my motherboard died (I'm writing this from my wife's laptop) and I have to replace it. I've replaced many motherboards in my long career and by far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by dlwmacgregor, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation

So my motherboard died (I'm writing this from my wife's laptop) and I have to replace it.
    I've replaced many motherboards in my long career and by far the Windows 7 replacements were the easiest.
    But now that I have the free Windows 10 upgrade (from Windows 7) on the PC I'm wondering if installing the replacement motherboard will be equally as easy because of the "digital entitlement".
    What will I find when I first boot up the new motherboard?
    I was at 14393.222 when it failed.

:)

dlwmacgregor, Oct 4, 2016

2. windows 10 needs to be activated but wont allow as i have changed the hdu to another PC as the old motherboard died

Windows 10 needs to be activated but wont allow as i have changed the hdu to another PC as the old motherboard died

KevinBoyden, Oct 4, 2016
  3. I have upgraded my Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10. Does the Activation troubleshooter apply to my Windows 10?

Windows 10 was automatically activated in October 2015.

After a year or two, when my motherboard dies and is replaced with a new one, I will have to re-activate it.

Matthew_Wai, Oct 4, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation

The digital entitlement wont work even if it is the same model motherboard. Did you have a Microsoft account on your PC when it failed? Your Digital entitlement will be linked to your account if you did have a motherboard failure.

Once you install Windows 10 on the new board, login with your Microsoft account, then go to activation, and there is a button that says "troubleshoot". That will bring up the license and will tell you that it's activated on the old pc, and it will ask you if you want to transfer the license. Transfer it and you are good to go.

If you didn't have a Microsoft account, you may have to contact Microsoft on the issue.

lmaneke, Oct 4, 2016
  5. EdTittel Win User
    If activation fails, you'll see a "troubleshoot activation" link on that screen. If you follow that link, and run the troubleshooter, one of the options is something like "I changed hardware on this device recently." If you elect that option, chances are decent that activation will then proceed successfully. You only need to contact MS Support to get an activation override if that fails. So please, try that first!
    Good luck and HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 4, 2016
  6. Thanks Ed. That's encouraging. I'll update the forum when I get to that point.
    Cheers.

dlwmacgregor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation

1. Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation - Similar Threads - Motherboard Died Activation

2. Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...: So last month I upgraded my cpu and motherboard. I transferred my retail windows 10 over to the new system using the usb tool. It worked great and I was able to activate windows. Two weeks later my motherboard dies and I order a new one. I swap the motherboardsI do not...
  3. windows 10 activation/motherboard change

windows 10 activation/motherboard change: i just upgraded my pc and sold the old one i changed the motherboard and cpu along with the rami still have the GPU HDDs windows is is asking me to activate it again and when i looked online for steps to follow i got to the activate windows screen in settings and it now...
  4. Upgraded motherboard - Activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded motherboard - Activate Windows 10: Hey! I recently upgraded my motherboard because it fried. Now I am trying to activate Windows 10 and it gives a fault code: 0xC004F211. I can't activate Windows from the computer settings, it wont let me. I got the free upgrade from Windows 7. I found my digital license...
  5. change motherboard and activate window 10

change motherboard and activate window 10: Hi, I would like to update my hp computer motherboard with pre-installed window 10 with OEM version. I am wondering if I able to do that? Since I know that window 10 is somehow tied with the motherboard....
  6. Windows 10 Activation on New Motherboard

Windows 10 Activation on New Motherboard: I am currently looking into upgrading my motherboard that supports a specific CPU. I know that the Windows 10 license is associated with the motherboard I have currently. Am I going to run into any problems trying to pass Windows 10 onto a new motherboard? I do not want to...
  7. Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in

Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in: After only 3 weeks of using my new computer, my motherboard died and i had to replace it, and now my windows 10 pro key is invalid and I have a watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen that doesn't want to go away. I can't seem to solve it by using my Microsoft...
  8. Windows 10 Activation with motherboard change

Windows 10 Activation with motherboard change: Probably a common question, but I have not found anything helpful yet. I had a motherboard with an Intel processor and have updated to a an AMD processor. Windows handled the transition okay, but I have been having no luck getting windows to re-activate. I have tried...
  9. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard: I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here. I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were...
  10. Motherboard is dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard is dying?: Hi all I have a problem and don’t know how to proceed. Here is what was happening: Running window 10, 2 ssd drives 1st one is just C and system reserve 2nd drive is divided into 3 D-E F on E I store 2 Macrium images I turned on my PC and it booted fine, as far as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. motherboard died windows 10 activation

2. have win 10 licence but motherboard has died

3. motherboard died I have oem windows 10

4. windows 10 activation on new motherboard after old one dies