Windows 10: Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up

Discus and support Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The problem is in the thread title; normally my PS_SW light stays a solid yellow and I'm able to boot up no problem. After moving my computer around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zibeltor, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Zibeltor Win User

Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up

The problem is in the thread title; normally my PS_SW light stays a solid yellow and I'm able to boot up no problem. After moving my computer around the house a bit, when I plugged everything in the light was flashing yellow and is now unable to boot up. All the build information (including motherboard info) is in my profile. I looked through the manual for my motherboard (available here: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0) ) and it was totally useless. It does not seem to be blinking in any pattern, just a steady blink on and off. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated--I'm really out of my depth here.

:)

Zibeltor, Dec 30, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I tried to install my motherboard's drivers, Now I've got below notice!

Copy the cap file to a USB flash drive

Turn off your system

Boot into BIOS - press and hold the F2 button when you see the Asus logo

In the Bios there should be an updater built it

From there search for the cap file then run it

NOTE: Some asus motherboards have a USB flashback port and button

Put the USB stick in the port with the power off and press the flash back button.

You see the motherboard flash back port light up and blink.

DaveM121, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Access to Windows 10 device

Thanks a lot for a quick response, Greg. But what I had is not a Windows problem (( guess). I was updating BIOS and it didn't boot up when I'm opening my computer. It has power (fan, motherboard light) but no display and no power button light.

KenEYamamoto, Dec 30, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Check inside the computer to see if any connections came loose or unplugged.

Winuser, Dec 30, 2016
  5. Zibeltor Win User
    Yeah, I've tried that. This actually happened a couple weeks ago and was solved by my lightly pressing on the processor heatsink. I've tried gently testing every component though and it hasn't changed.

Zibeltor, Dec 30, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    Yikes.

That sounds like the CPU isn't making good connections. I've never had that happen.

I suppose that you could remove the heatsink and CPU, and then re-install them. Seems unlikely. Did you drop the case at any time during the moves?

bobkn, Dec 31, 2016
  7. Zibeltor Win User
    No, I thought I was very gentle with the case. That seems like a reasonable next step though; I'll try reinstalling the processor in the morning. Thank you for the advice! Happy New Years!

Zibeltor, Dec 31, 2016
  8. Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up

It could be your ram has died my pc did that a week ago got some new ram and it worked again

Chrisandroid, Dec 31, 2016
  9. Zibeltor Win User
    Alright, well, I may do that. Reinstalling the processor didn't change anything. Are there any other recommendations? I'm kinda hesitant to just start buying/testing parts without really knowing what the issue is.

Zibeltor, Dec 31, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I recently had a problem something similar to you. I did manage to get my computer to work great for awhile. It only worked for a short time before finally dieing on me. After trying everything including different ram and a new power supply I figured it was either the motherboard and/or the cpu. The only thing that would power on was the fans. I didn't even get the beeps when I tried starting the computer with the ram removed. I hope yours is cheaper to fix than what mine was.

Winuser, Dec 31, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    Reseat the RAM modules and any add-in card/s. Blow the dust out [take it outside], these can cause issues as can a bit of corrosion [usually unseen] on the contacts of anything that plugs in.

Berton, Dec 31, 2016
  12. Zibeltor Win User
    I did buy some new RAM and did as Berton recommended--reseating all my cards and blowing them out with compressed air before putting them back in. I also tested both sets of RAM modules on my board. Based off Winuser's input, the process of elimination leads me to think it's my mobo or CPU. My PSU is fairly newly installed. I felt like I've been wanting an upgrade for my CPU anyway. Can anyone recommend a reliable, durable board for a 5th generation processor (thinking abut getting the Intel Core i7-4790K). I've seen someone recommend the ASROCK Z97 Extreme9, but that's pretty pricey/difficult to find.

Zibeltor, Dec 31, 2016
  13. clam1952 Win User

Bit of a longshot but one last thing to check? Have a look at the main connector from the PSU to the motherboard and check if any of the wires are not pushed fully home, I got caught out by that once with a seemingly dead board, then noticed the metal pin on one of the wires was showing slightly above the plug, shoved it down with power off using a small screw driver and problem fixed.

clam1952, Dec 31, 2016
  14. bobkn Win User
    That's bad luck.

The only time I've ever seen anything like that was with a graphics card that apparently had a cracked printed circuit trace. When I flexed the board, it would work for a while. I hope that's not your problem, because it'd most likely not be repairable.

bobkn, Jan 1, 2017
  15. Zibeltor Win User
    clam1952; thanks for the idea. I checked that out, but all the pins looked normal. I noticed that on the plug itself, one of the connections appeared to be missing a female receiver (the 5th one from the left on the bottom row), but it looks like it's more likely that it was manufactured/designed that way. I'm including a photo just in case anyone thinks otherwise.

bobkn; thanks for the input...luckily, it is Christmastime (got some cash burning a hole in my pocket) and I've been wanting to upgrade my build for a little while anyway. I guess I should probably make a post in the hardware section if I want to get comments/suggestions?

Zibeltor, Jan 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up - Similar Threads - Motherboard power light

2. Hp laptop wont turn on, long flashing power light.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp laptop wont turn on, long flashing power light.: Had the computer for a year. Than after the warranty expired, the computer wouldn't turn on. Upon pressing the power button, I get no display, from the screen or hdmi output. But, power indicator and charger indicator light flashes for 8 seconds and turns off, repeatedly....
  3. Hp laptop wont turn on, long flashing power light.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hp laptop wont turn on, long flashing power light.: Had the computer for a year. Than after the warranty expired, the computer wouldn't turn on. Upon pressing the power button, I get no display, from the screen or hdmi output. But, power indicator and charger indicator light flashes for 8 seconds and turns off, repeatedly....
  4. red cpu light on motherboard flashing/on for a short period of time

red cpu light on motherboard flashing/on for a short period of time: I just upgraded my PC adding some new fans and changing gpu. In the meantime I also changed the thermal paste. The first boot up failed because the cpu fan was not inserted properly but after fixing that it worked. Now the PC pretty much runs perfectly but at most boot ups...
  5. Keyboard light wont light up when booted to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard light wont light up when booted to windows: Hello there I'm really need help here the problem as follows:recently updated to windows 11 then I realize the keyboard light not working anymorethe light only works on boot startup bios setting, the light turned off when entering the windows logon screen can I know why this...
  6. Keyboard light wont light up when booted to windows

Keyboard light wont light up when booted to windows: Hello there I'm really need help here the problem as follows:recently updated to windows 11 then I realize the keyboard light not working anymorethe light only works on boot startup bios setting, the light turned off when entering the windows logon screen can I know why this...
  7. ASUS Maximus VIII GENE Motherboard, Core i5 CPU Lights up, No Power Up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ASUS Maximus VIII GENE Motherboard, Core i5 CPU Lights up, No Power Up: A friend of mine asked me to install Win10 on his son's computer.. It was a new MB that he had just installed into a new gamer case... Motherboard won't boot up.. The board LEDs and buttons light up, but there is no power up. Fans don't come on... Nothing.. I suspect one...
  8. PC Not Booting DRAM Flashing on Motherboard

PC Not Booting DRAM Flashing on Motherboard: A couple of days ago I performed a scan and clean on my computer with the software I had downloaded. I had used it multiple times with no issues just to make sure all of my drivers were updated and there were no useless files on my computer to keep more free storage. The...
  9. Flashing power button/not powering up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Flashing power button/not powering up: Hi I have a lenovo yoga laptop and for the past few days it wont turn on even though it is fully charged. Whenever I press the on button it starts to flash and the screen is black and i cant hear it starting up . Please help my computer has a lot of important files for...
  10. Power light on but no boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Power light on but no boot: This has gone from bad to worse. It started with an error message when I went to close down, to the effect that the Start Button wasn't working and would reset on restart. I restarted; it didn't reset. I could use programs but the Start button still wouldn't work. I tried to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. light-ps error windows 10