Windows 10: Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility

Discus and support Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have an older graphics card, GeForce 9500gt, and I would like to find out if it will be compatible to a newer motherboard, Asus A88XM-A. I have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Gudzilla, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Gudzilla Win User

Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility

I have an older graphics card, GeForce 9500gt, and I would like to find out if it will be compatible to a newer motherboard, Asus A88XM-A. I have been searching for a list that would let me just compare the two, but can't find too much information for devices that are older. Lots of stuff that says how to pick a new fast card with a new fast processor, but not too much for older to older.

:)

Gudzilla, Aug 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 upgrade and incompatible graphics card.

I changed graphic card after it report my motherboard graphics component was not compatible. However, after installing a compatible graphics board and rerunning the Windows 10 upgrade it is still reporting the old graphics card. How do I get the new graphics
    card recognized?

Geekanator, Aug 21, 2016
  3. ppiklapp Win User
    Microsoft Compatiblity says video card is compatible, but update says it is not.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 6150se nForce 430 motherboard/graphics card and the Microsoft site says it is compatible, but the upgrade app says it is not. What is up? Is it compatible or not? The drivers are the latest for the card, so I know that is not
    the problem.

ppiklapp, Aug 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

The prime requirement is to determine what type slots the motherboard has and what the video card will fit. Over the years we have progressed from ISA [no longer in use] to PCI to AGP to PCIe/PCI Express. PCIe video is usually PCIe X16. Then if the card will fit one has to determine if there are software drivers for it or if the drivers are built into the OS/Operating System, in this case Win10. Some cards of more than 2 years age work but anything much older may be hit or miss, depends upon what the maker has made available.

Berton, Aug 21, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    The board has a PCI-E X16 2.0 graphics slot. The 9500 GT is a PCI-E X16 2.0 card. (The 9500 GT also requires no external power.) The hardware is compatible.

As regards drivers, the 9500 GT is a legacy card. nVidia supports it with the 341.96 drivers for Windows 10. Those drivers may never receive further updates. (The latest drivers for cards with current support is 372.54.)

Short version: the combination should be OK.

bobkn, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Gudzilla Win User
    Thanks for the help. Yes I knew that the card would fit in the slot, I just wasn't sure if it would make some kind of conflict. I had tried it but the fan in the card would rub against the power connector for the USB 3 card right below it so I took it out. I want to go ahead and put it back in because that gives me two DVi outlets to use two monitors. The motherboard just has 1 DVi and 1 vga, so they're not symmetrical.

Gudzilla, Aug 22, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    I think Bobkn hit the nail on the head *Smile

can't you move the USB3 card down a slot ? do you really need the USB3 card on that MB ? it seems to have USB3

A88XM-A | Motherboards | ASUS Canada

Kbird, Aug 22, 2016
  8. Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility

I'm wondering why would you need that 9500 GT if the GPU of the A10-6800K is far more powerful.

RoasterMen, Aug 22, 2016
  9. Gudzilla Win User
    The card will give me 2 DVi ports. I run two monitors and if I connect one to DVi and the other to the vga port the colors and graphics are not symmetrical. For instance if I have two windows of the same spreadsheet open and want to highlight some cells in color, there are less colors available on the vga window. It could be the monitor, but since vga is just analog it seems best to change it to digital with the DVi port.

Gudzilla, Aug 25, 2016
  10. The motherboard has HDMI though, you can use an HDMI to DVI adapter for your second monitor.

RoasterMen, Aug 26, 2016
  11. Gudzilla Win User
    I'll have to get an adapter and try that out. Whenever I go straight from HDMI on computer to HDMI on monitor the quality of the picture is fuzzy.

Gudzilla, Aug 27, 2016
  12. The fuzziness has something to do with the monitor's refresh rate. Set it at the highest refresh the monitor can do.

RoasterMen, Aug 27, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

RM maybe right , the HDMI maybe using 30hz which is good for TV's but not for Monitors , try setting it in the NCP to 60Hz, though the Card may not be capable of that ? not sure if you are talking about the 9500 or the onboard GPU now? The wrong HDMI version cable may restrict the HDMI signal too BTW.

KB

Kbird, Aug 27, 2016
  14. batlhilz Win User
    HDMI-> HDMI can cause "fuzziness" if you have overscan ON in the TV. some TVs has HDMI port that says also (DVI) or (PC) in order to disable that issue when you plug the computer, plug it into this port.

batlhilz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Motherboard to Graphics card compatibility - Similar Threads - Motherboard Graphics card

2. a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility: hii I own a computeri5 12400f - nvidia rtx4060 - 32gb- WIN 11 23H2 and a hp 24fw monitor that I still use until now. Since I started playing games on it , I noticed screen tearing and a sudden black screen for a second in general and every time I open a program in particular...
  3. a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    a problem with the screen and graphics card compatibility: hii I own a computeri5 12400f - nvidia rtx4060 - 32gb- WIN 11 23H2 and a hp 24fw monitor that I still use until now. Since I started playing games on it , I noticed screen tearing and a sudden black screen for a second in general and every time I open a program in particular...
  4. Graphic card (or motherboard?) flickering / crashing.-

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphic card (or motherboard?) flickering / crashing.-: Good evening. I'm having a problem since one week ago and IDK if it's related to the motherboard or the video card or what. SPECS: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1081Intel Core i5 3550 @ 3.30GHz / Ivy Bridge 22nm TechnologyCorsair Hydro Series H100i v2Corsair Vengeance Pro 16,0GB...
  5. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 Motherboard or Graphics card?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 Motherboard or Graphics card?: Hi, Recently i've been experiencing a lot of system crashes on my computer. at first I thought of my graphics card being done but I'm not sure. I've been getting a lot of Watchdog violations and screens randomly turning off. its always FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  6. Graphics card compatibly error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics card compatibly error: Equipment: Alienware 17 laptop Core I7-4710MQ, 16 GB memory, Intel hd graphics 4600, GTX 860M, 250 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD, Windows 10 pro 64-bit build 18363 Fortnite was giving an error saying I needed to update my gpu driver. When I update my driver, it says it isn't compatible...
  7. PC Compatibility with NVIDIA Graphics Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Compatibility with NVIDIA Graphics Card: Hi, I am using the following PC: [ATTACH] with the following Motherboard: [ATTACH] with 8 GB RAM and Windows 10: Professional. I want to know if my PC is compatible with any of these GPUs: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 or AMD Radeon HD 7950. And if...
  8. Graphics Card not Compatible with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics Card not Compatible with Windows 10?: Hello, I have a question. I have a graphics card that is compatible with win 7, but now I have upgraded to windows 10. Can no longer detect my graphics card. Should I buy a new one or can I upgrade my GPU so it can be compatible with win 10? Does windows 10 have a driver that...
  9. Acer Motherboard Graphic Card Compatibility

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acer Motherboard Graphic Card Compatibility: Hi I want to add a graphics card to my Acer M1930 Motheboard. I want to know what GTX series from Nvidia will fit, ignoring the size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/acer-motherboard-graphic-card-compatibility/45479b88-50c3-4977-85e2-fed63cd48404
  10. Graphics card compatibility

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics card compatibility: Hi, I have ATI Radeon HD 4830 graphic card. I'd like to upgrade it to AMD R9 270 2GB DDR5 graphic card. Is the same slot that goes to Radeon HD 4830 is enough for R9 270? Do I need to upgrade Motherboard as well? Thanks 21576